Home General Discussion

Google Wave video

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
1 hour 20 long.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ&feature=channel[/ame]

I can already see this being incredibly useful for design docs.

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Google please make an operating system already. I know you'll do me right, baby.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Could you give us a bit on a synopsis before we plunge into this hour twenty of video?
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I've heard a little about this. The example described to me was a google app within wave called 'Rosy' which translates typed text on the fly. English to french, german to greek etc. Very handy.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade - I'm only halfway through so far, but it's a browser application that seamlessly links blogging, chatting, e-mailing and making documents together with a ton of nifty features and clever ideas.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade - I've tried for 5 minutes to explain it, and it's proving very difficult.

If people involved in an email discussion are online at the same time it turns itself into a real time instant messenger.

You can have multiple people editing the same document/email at the same time, and the instant messenger aspect embeds itself into sentences/paragraphs.

One of the interesting things is the new Google spellchecker - it's context sensitive and bases it's results from documents that Google has indexed.

I'll post a link to people who may be able to do a better job:

http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/google-wave-guide/
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Brief synopsis of Wave: Google reinvented and then combined email, IM, social networking, blogging, collaborative document editing, document revision tracking & source control, and multimedia content embedding into a single open source framework with incredible extensibility.

It's hard to describe more specifically because there is no completely revolutionary "OMG THAT'S AMAZING" bullet point to put next to it*. It's more like a crapload of little incremental improvements wrapped up in an elegant and powerful package that really pushes forward how people will use the internet in general. Expect to hear lots and lots of services switching over to using Wave in the next few years.

*(except for the real time translator bot that dynamically updated its translation as you typed, 4 people simultaneously editing the same section of the same doc in real time, doing searches for new twitters updating in real time as they were saying "Hello Google Wave" a mere 45 minutes after it was first announced, and all of this being done in what started as an email application).
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I use Google Docs for a whole bunch of things and this looks like an extension of that, plus some functionality borrowed from web apps like twitter. Definitely want to see more, or have a go on it, but I think it'll be massive for group projects

For now, I can only recommend to people working in group projects to use Google Docs, as the co-op, realtime editing (amongst a few of the other features that Wave has implemented) really makes a massive difference.

Can't wait for the beta (that will be in beta forever no doubt)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    cool. although, naming it "wave" bothers me, because of the wave file format. they could have just called it something else. /shrug
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Does anybody remember Groove Networks? It's like that, but actually good.

The fact that you can embed a wave in a website. . . that's damn cool.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For design docs, yes please! That would rock.

For social networking: Hello ADD public please meet our latest liquid crack, can we interest you in an IV drip?