Home Technical Talk

3ds Export problem

Davidskiwan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
Heya, I'm wondering if any of you could help with this problem. When exporting in 3ds format, if you export with texture coordinate protection, it breaks all the verts on texture seams (so in some places where you have 1 vert on the mesh, it gets split into 6 etc). If you don't export with texture coordinate protection the mesh is fine but the UV's get messed up. here's a pic to show what i mean:

protection.jpg

Thing is, I do work for a mod of half life 1 (ESF), which has had a 3ds loader built in with collision detection so we can build more complex and better looking maps than hammer can offer. We'd like to know if there's some kind of fix or workaround for this, because otherwise the coders will need to work on another file format loader, and their workload is already pretty heavy.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like those faces are inverted.

Select the offending objects, then right click, go to object properties, and check on "Backface cull" If they disapear then they are facing the wrong way. In edit poly > poly mode, there is a "flip button" that will fix it.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    No they're not inverted, this really is a problem with 3DS format. I encountered it once and decided never to use it again because of this, since it's just a property of the format as far as I know.