Home Technical Talk

Maya UV Gizmo

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello im using maya 8.5

Everything im making has to have 3 UV sets and I seem to have figured this out generally. but do you typically line up textures to UV sets using the relationship editor?

my workflow is like this right now, but this is my 4th day using the app. A quick read by the Maya users would be a great help

F8 - into "sub-object"
F11 - into face selection
Choose faces
UV > Planar mapping / cylindrical ect.
Then manipulate in the UVeditor.

What im wondering is why I cant manipulate or even see the UV gizmo? when I use the Planar mapping small square edit menu its very basic and I cant see any gizmo options.

Oh also, im finding that the aspect of the mapping is being formed to the 0-1 square making it completely off aspect. Max had a toggle for this (normalize map), im sure maya does too, not sure where it is.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I am not a maya friend but be sure to check some of these scripts out for maya:
    http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/texturing/
    I can only imagine that maya is very rough on the UV side just like it is/was with modeling
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You cant use the manipulator when in vert/edge/poly select mode, you need to enter uv mode for that (rmb - UV while in uvw editor). Face/edge/vert mode is just for selecting the geo, which you can convert back to UV verts by pressing ctrl+f12.

Its completly ass backwords, but thats how maya does it.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha that took forever for me to find out PolyHertz, it was driving mad, but sorry my question was buried i guess.

Im looking for the planar mapping gizmo in my scene against the geo im currently mapping.. I want to align, rotate ect, a mapping gizmo when i planar map. Maya is just doing all this right now without showing me the f'in gizmo so im manually scaling / moving the verts in UV editor to get the scale correct...

OR, could i do all this in max and export it over to Maya? the work has to end up in Maya, but does anyone know if i can export on .obj from Max with 3 x UV sets (per textured object) and have those sets appear in tact in maya? haha wishful thinking?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks render - that site looks like it has a ton of scripts I just spent a few moments looking at the "most downloaded" scripts i couldnt find anything that was similar to chuggnuts for example in max... I guess maya is a bit of a UV void. thanks tho.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When talking about the uv planar gizmo is this what you're refering to?:
    planargizmo.jpg

As for importing from max, obj isnt going to let you have 3 uv sets. you could import 3 copies of the model with the different uvs and merge them into 3 uv sets directly in maya. Alternativly you could use fbx format which should handle the conversion directly.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi PolyHertz - that is the gizmo im refering to, that does not appear for me when I choose Planar mapping or cylindrical for that matter. I havent tried the other mapping options. Is there some random toggle im missing for that to show up? I was given a copy of Maya 8.5 from work - I cant work with a newer version because of their MEL scripts i need to run... so they say. so I hope the gizmo was available in 8.5?

Ya, I actually installed the FBX plugin for max - but from when I tried it the UV's didnt come over complete. perhaps I didnt experiment properly; im just learning -If you say it does work I must be doing it wrong... ill try again. The file had a lot of information however, including a skeleton, skin weights ect. perhaps I will further explore this, from what i read on autodesk site FBX should transfer pretty much everything.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also in Max there is a way to stitch 2 UV shells together with a bias so that one shell does not move or change shape at all, the 2nd shell conforms to this first shell. There are scale and toggles as well where the 2nd UV shell will or will not scale to the first unchanged shell.

Does Maya have something such as this? Ive used the Move and Sew option however i found that it scales and adjusts both shells which is totally undesirable.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No toggles that I can think of, it just sort of appears after you hit apply when planar mapping...Their is a bug in maya that will cause some manipulators o not appear when they are supposed to however. the onl fix I ever found was to change graphics card drivers or reinstall maya for that one though :-/
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GAK - well i wanted to upgrade to that new nvidia SSAO driver - guess its a really good reason to try it out even if i have no time for gaming really.

Thanks a lot for taking the time - I just went through your folio! nice work man, but from what i see most your work was made with 3DsMax? You have much knowledge in Maya as well, so I guess i want to ask why Max then? Ive found Maya a bit more hard interface-wise but in all it seems to have a lot of options that Max needs a script to accomplish... im probably just Maya-happy since someone actually wants me to do something with it though... and I have to learn it :P
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    where's gizmo...

history is on or off?
    history was deleted/frozen?
    history node ( the projection node in this case ) isn't selected?
    there is history... it's selected... then is the show manipulator tool selected? ( history's manipulator )

repeat the same for...
    why can't I see extrude gizmo?
    why can't I see transform component gizmo?
    why can't I see the polygon input gizmo?
    etc etc...
    in the following example jes replace the extrude edge node logic with yer polyPlanarProj node:
    ( also history in the example 1 "history must be on" isn't entirely correct.
    instead "history must have been on to create the node" )

3300393768_c447f000ef_o.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    what claydough said. The history on/off icon can be found in the top bar with icons it looks like a scroll.

Also a lot of tools/actions in maya have a "optionbox" a small box next to it in the menu. This will bring up additional settings. Like "keep aspect ratio" for the planar mapping.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, glad you liked my work :)

As for Max vs Maya (the eternal debate), I've augmented max with a ton of scripts over the years, but I'm so used to them most seem more like an extension of the base program to me more so then extensions. I'm also a fan of the modifier system and the non-destructive workflow options it provides. the autobackup system has also saved me more then a few times. But the one thing that really keeps me from using maya as much as max is its pivot system. Max is very robust in this area but maya has a ways to go yet before it'll catch up.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ claydough - Perfect man, this worked exactly! I didnt understand the "manipulator tool" at all but now it makes a lot of sense, its connected to the history! gotcha, THANK YOU! I guess you made that dancing goth girl from LPC #1 using Maya! good to know, that was great low poly animation - its actually been in my mind since then. Im happy such a low poly character can be animated so well. Ive hear maya is a great animation tool, so as an animator makes sense you use it! Cant wait to try that out.

@ivars - thanks for catching that, I totally missed that retain scale box in the mapping options cube! boh! thanks!

@ polyhertz - Ya, actually I dont miss the modifier stack, I never actually learned to use the stack properly tho... Im a collapse-a-holic, out of fear!. I found that unless I collapsed constantly id get unwanted results with a lot of modifiers. So im kinda ok without that - though Ive seen videos of people pluggin mods in like half-way down the stack and moving modifers around the stack, it always made me cringe. Im not that well versed with max's mod stack to do those kinds of things without destruction and unstability.