Home General Discussion

Forum Skin Thievery

DimitrisT
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
Hi, I came to lurk on PC this morning as usual and was instantly attacked by total blackness. Bewildered and confused I went to change it back to the "Oh so lovely grayish theme" only to find that it had been stolen from me, like a firstborn child from it's mother!

I don't know how exactly, but I think there's somekind of capitalistic racism going on here.

Now, I don't know about you but I live in a country where people expect to NOT be FORCED to buy the latest Intuos just to match the color of their Polycount page, so I expect this major problem to be solved ASAP!

Also, my eyes bleed...

Replies

• Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    try taking your morning pills and see if it solves your problem ...
    But really now, I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about >.<
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Don't do drugs, kids. At least not as often as this fellow did. Also don't mix alcohol, really sc- ... wrong audience.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Aw, where'd the old skin go? Woe is me. It got eaten by the pc.B.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Don't do drugs? What? Fact: There used to be a less pitch-black skin on Polycount. Now there suddenly isn't anymore. I can barely see what I'm typing because this font is so freaking dark. Reading this board strains my eyes. And no, I can't change my monitor to fix it. If I turn it up any brighter, only thing that happens is that the considerably brighter frame around the box, and the Firefox frame bleed into the black, making the darker stuff even harder to see. And to top it off, the sun's behind me, causing glare on the screen, making it even more difficult to see dark against black.

Seriously, why would anyone put both the background and font at <50% brightness? Ever heard of readability??
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    are you wearing sunglasses by any chance?
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    The font appears to be at or above 50% brightness. It looks like the background is closer to maybe 25-30%. I suggest you do a few things:

1) Move your monitor. You put it in the sun, of course it's going to be hard to read. Sheesh.
    2) Recalibrate your colors and shite. I'm not talking about fiddling with the monitor, although it does entail doing that in the process. I mean something like color calibration in Mac OS (I think Adobe has their own thing for Windows).
    3) Stop taking drugs. Seriously, they're bad for you, just look at how bad your eyesight is.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Now wtf is this? Why do you say he should stop taking drugs? I used to have a nice skin without those pictures above (yes, they´re nice, but annoying), colours vere slightly different and it was a little more clear to see in which thread are new posts. Don´t accuse anyone of using drugs and stuff just because you maybe used this theme that didn´t change, so there´s no change for you to see. Did you even think of that??

Sheesh...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    get over it, its HDR, its cool, its new tech

think the bloom comes with the next update, then you really will find it hard to read
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what you guys are talking about - the Polycount theme is still available, it's down in the bottom left drop-down theme selection menu.
    It has a mid grey background and a font that is white. Choose that instead of the polycount.black theme if you don't want the dark background.

Either way, it should still be available - and even if it wasn't, the polycount.black theme, while lower contrast, is certainly still very legible and clear... I have seen it on many monitors and have never had a problem reading it. The background is dark and the font is light.

In fact, if you don't like either of those polycount themes, the VBulletin Default theme (light background, dark font) should still be available.

If anyone can't see these options available in the drop-down menu, let me know and we'll see about fixing it - it may have been something to do with the server move that bearkub was talking about the other day.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the old one aint available for me, not that i use it, my heart is black
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OK, maybe some permissions were set wrongly or something, I'll see about getting it back.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Noel Cower wrote: »
    The font appears to be at or above 50% brightness. It looks like the background is closer to maybe 25-30%. I suggest you do a few things:

1) Move your monitor. You put it in the sun, of course it's going to be hard to read. Sheesh.
    2) Recalibrate your colors and shite. I'm not talking about fiddling with the monitor, although it does entail doing that in the process. I mean something like color calibration in Mac OS (I think Adobe has their own thing for Windows).
    3) Stop taking drugs. Seriously, they're bad for you, just look at how bad your eyesight is.

1. Can't do that I'm afraid. It's not IN the sun, my room is just freaking bright, and this is an old CRT monitor. I CAN make it brighter, but like I said, then all the bright stuff just bleeds all over the screen and just makes it worse. The font IS >50% actually, but NOT the fonts displayed while you're typing, I don't think. In-thread it's slightly less painful.
    2. See above.
    3. Stop assuming things about people. Come on, take a boat here and I'll show you exactly what I mean. I actually can't see the bottom half of the line I'm typing right now because the light grey of the frame around the text box is so bright and this font is so dark, the grey overpowers it. Yes, I want a new monitor. No, I can't afford one. Yes, I wish I could get a new work desk and shuffle things around in here, but I can't afford that either.

And no, the classic Polycount theme isn't available to me anymore, either. It lets me choose from forum default, Polycount Black and Polycount Black Wide. And it's set to forum default.

Oh, this'll demonstrate my monitor's contrast problems. It works fine when it's dark outside, but unfortunately the sun's still up. See that dark grey box around the posts, seperated by black? When I lean back, it all just looks like solid black to me. Not THAT big a deal, I could get used to it. But I don't wanna have to get used to it, when all other forums I'm on have options to make them more easily readable no matter the lighting conditions of my room. That included Polycount! Until I got up this morning.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like when the boards moved and the old themes disappeared. I think they've always had every intention of discontinuing the old themes once the board was fully functional. Most people liked the new themes (what you see now) and kept it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    You folks with problems might want to let us in on what browser you all are running on as it's fine to the 75% or more that visit here.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    While the new boards look very nice, I did kind of like the version that didn't force all of the posts into centre allignment. It makes things a tad irksome to read. Yes, it's just my looney computer that does this but, you know, you should compensate for that madness.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're looking for "polycount.BLACK-wide" It seems to default to "polycount.BLACK" which centers the posts until you choose another theme (lower left corner).
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    We are currently looking into this. It looks like there are some residual issues from the move to new hardware over the weekend. I will update this thread when I find out more.
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring back the blue 'n green. That's how polycount should look :)
  • DimitrisT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
    Yay, I can now choose the gray polycount_wide again!

I guess I don't have to stop taking drugs then!

Thank you.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The older "polycount" option should be available now.
    Edit: You found it! :)
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Dekard wrote: »
    You folks with problems might want to let us in on what browser you all are running on as it's fine to the 75% or more that visit here.

It's not about that, it's about lighting conditions, monitor quality, and general preference. I always prefer black on white over white on black. I think all forums should have an option like that. But I actually did get used to the old Polycount theme without much hassle, so I accepted that. But that still had enough contrast to be readable under all conditions to me. Unlike the black theme which is far too dark. It works fine when I turn off the lights and lower the monitor contrast a bit, but I really don't wanna have to wait until night to browse comfortably.

I just don't like dark fonts on black, quite simply. It'd help a lot if I had a better monitor, but unfortunately I can't afford to do anything about that. And yeah, it sucks being an artist and having a monitor you know sucks... Texturing can get a bit scary at times.

So yay, back to the old theme. Ahh, contrast and color, I've missed you...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I use black background with white text in MIRC and I still think the polycount_black themes read poorly.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    I think you're looking for "polycount.BLACK-wide" It seems to default to "polycount.BLACK" which centers the posts until you choose another theme (lower left corner).
    I'm getting centre justifying on both. I am using Opera which is obstinately incompatible with pretty much everything, so I wouldn't actually expect you to do anything about it. That said though, it does display the older theme correctly.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hello :)

1 - I turned the old (re: OLD) theme off when I was trying to fix a bug last night. It wasn't meant to stay disabled.

2 - Eventually that theme, and its wide counter-part, will not be an option to use. This isn't happening any time soon, and it will be with proper reason. For now, though, its enabled.

3 - This is said bug from my first note that I am addressing: http://boards.polycount.net/forumdisplay.php?f=58 The columns are all fucked up and I can't remember the fix. Back to poking around...

4 - Sorry for the confusion. And sorry for those who find the pc.B theme straining, I do not share that thought. :)
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Adam, I noticed that when the old theme was gone, search was no longer broken. I didn't think much of it at the time, but search is plainly broken again, and the old theme is available. You might want to check that out; I am remembering a search working, not sure if it's related to the theme or something else you were working with, but... search... it is sorely missed.