Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Industrial Robot

I wanted to take a break from projects and work on a robot that has no arms but might be used as transport vehicle. I like the look of industrial robot arms that make cars and designing this character to mimic those. Here is rough concept sketch so far.

3499157418_9d223b49e2.jpg

-Neil

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Torrrtilla "walkers" are always cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more. One thing that you might want to think about is that the legs are doing the opposite of what human legs do when standing upright. What I mean is that in a human the femurs (upper leg bones) make a slight "V" shape and the tibia and fibula (lower leg bones) are more straight. I'm not sure if it makes any difference at all but if you plan to animate this thing it might. Then again I don't animate things, so what do I know? lol! Personally I like it the way it is now sort of squat and a little mean looking, reversing the leg bends might make it look more feminine... One thing I'm a little more sure of is that you might want to smooth out those boxy hip parts a bit they don't seem to mesh well with the roundness of the rest of the design.
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    industrial robot? what does it do?clear.gif
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fast1- perhaps a walking tank, like ghost in the shell.
    Ben- Thanks for the c&c.
    I've been thinking about how the legs would move. Lol I guess thing about robots is you can add more leg segments if you need or ball joints. Heres a more human like version. 3499970200_b670327c0d_b.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks like it needs a wee
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty cool so far.

Here is some really good reference for ya.

http://izmojuki.blog.shinobi.jp/Category/1/
  • torontoanimator
    could we possibly see some profile or 3/4 views? it looks pretty neat so far though :)
  • Torrrtilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz- thanks for link! Some really cool stuff there.
    I'll try to get a 3/4 view as soon as I've got something I'm a little happier with. After sketching and looking at lots of reference I'm feeling that I would like to go in more in this direction. A quadruped instead of a bipedal robot that has elements of today's heavy machinery. This would be a walker type that could excavate or perform demolition work.

3511668355_a85d392ced_o.jpg