Here's a preview:
SpaceMarine.001.jpg
Nazi.002.jpg

Replies

• mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I love your characters and the texturing on the suit of space marine guy. Your skin textures (while there not bad) look like they could use some more attention to detail. Perhaps in your spec map.
    I really like your work.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    I love your work man - It's some really solid stuff.
    Your texture work is really good although I agree with the last commenter about the skin and the hair - although, that is really nitpicking for me - altogether it is very solid work.
    What school did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
    Wish you luck for your future and be really proud of that work - It's some really solid stuff.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Good stuff man, I agree with mikezoo with giving the skin a bit of some extra polish. The gun looks a bit noisy as well, kind of just the same texture,filter,overlays on the whole thing. Wouldn't hurt to vary it a bit. Make the grip a bit different as well as the clip and some other odds and end.

Also just to note your resume buttons are broken on the demo reel page, though they do work on the gallery page, might want to fix her up.

Good stuff though man!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    mikezoo: Thanks I agree with you about the spec maps and shaders. Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I did them in a hurry due to crunch. I think when I am done my DW IV entry I'll be going back and improving the spec maps/shaders and rendering on these guys.

paulsvoboda: Glad you like it, thanks for the support! I attended the Art Institute of Vancouver's 3d modeling program.

ericdigital: Yeah the gun was sort of rushed I could improve the texture on it and probably will after DW IV. Thanks for the heads up on the site problems. I just made some slight changes to it today.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they look pretty good. but that guy cant possibly be a space marine, hes not 100% bald. lol jk. solid stuff.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good. But only two characters and a gun? Get some more in there buddy!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    00Zer: Haha I was intending to make him bald in the beginning.

Cojax: Workin on it! Gonna finish my DWIV entry and then I'll do some smaller scale, lower poly, and stylized pieces. :)
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    man shes sexy, I love a girl in uniform..

Cheers, Gl.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Just thought I'd post here that I've updated my Demo reel and Gallery with a couple new characters. My 100th post also in the same thread as my first post. :) Also, polycount hates me trying to change thread names using the first post's title!

I only added the new characters, rather than updating the old ones. The two new characters are rendered in Marmoset Toolbag and screen captured; which was not the best idea for quality, but goddamn if it didn't save me some ginormous Mental Ray render times.

I might be changing the site itself soon, I have another nice design in mind. Anyway, tell me what you think.

http://kparson.net/

LeIlith001.jpg
    Zooey002.jpg
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great but a lot of the faces seem like they're taking a dump - other than that great pics and would love to see more of them.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Alec3d: ... okay. Thanks?

I sort of re-cut the reel yesterday but just to remove the first character. That's not the focus of this post though.

I'm in earnest need of some harsh honesty. I'm blind to the quality of my own work at this point and the lack of even an interview has me wondering if I'm just not as good as I need to be. So tell me, how does my stuff stack up for someone looking to get into a junior position? What overall can I do to improve, what am I doing right and what should I focus on improving?

I am still working on new projects constantly, but unless I know what I'm not doing well enough I'll just keep going in circles. I know what I think, but there's a huge disconnect between what I think and what everyone else thinks. Getting the opinion of others would be a big help to me.

Thanks for reading.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Alec3d hit on a point I agree with. The faces, seem lifeless. If I saw that space marine's face in real life, I would think he was mentally challenged. The eyes... I really don't know wtf it is, but it's something. I'm sorry this isn't helpful in the least, but something is off and I don't know what.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    No you are definitely correct, I've gotten this response before, I definitely need to add expression to the faces, I just have always forgotten due to trying to get things done and move on. I will definitely fix this on all of my models, it's not a terribly hard thing to do.

Thanks for the comments
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The characters look very rigid, and I'm not even talking about the poses. The silhouettes are pretty constrained, and the internal shapes seem very static...the impression I get is everything is oriented at more or less 90 degree angles, give or take 15.

The texture work's pretty static too. Very little variations in specular, surface noise, or color. Try playing around with contrasts more, that should help make these guys a little more exciting to look at. The space marine is definitely your most successful piece so far.

Also, it's amazing how much your DW4 character looks a lot like this one from DW2 :D