Home Technical Talk

How to create 2 uv sets in max

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
raul polycounter lvl 11
Yo,

I am trying to set up an object in max with 2 uv sets. I plan to use the second uv set for a light map in the quest 3d engine.

In short, i already figured out how to do all the uv sets, ao maps, ligth map baking deal. All inside of xsi. Unfortuanatly now, i need to figured out how to do all this in max. As i want to use shader fx for my real time shaders.

I say unfortunate because i am kinda short in time. So far i know how to apply a uv set to the object. Tho i have no clue how to just apply another uv set.

I found this tutorial, tho it only goes through making a uv set and apply to channel map 2. What if i already had 2 uv sets in my object already inside of xsi, how do i open them after importing them into xsi.

http://waylon-art.com/LearningUnreal/UE3-10-LightMaps.htm

Although, i think in the end all i really need to know is how to make a second uv map. So i can tell shader fx to check it out and use that as the light map.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apply UVW Unwrap, set the channel spinner to 2, click reset and the second channel should show up in the editor window.

In the material editor under any given map in a material, there is another spinner that lets you select which UV channel that map uses. Works great for things like composite map where you have a diffuse on one UV and a light map on another, or say a decal on a 3rd UV, and your normal map on a 5th, then bake it all down to the 1st or a 4th if you need to.

If you do start transfering maps around from one layout to another make sure to turn off Anti Alais and Global Super Sampling in the render dialog window (9 > Renderer Tab) and save the render as TGA since it is uncompressed. If you don't do that, you could end up with a blury mess.

If you want to view the channel info go Main menu > Tools > Channel Info. If you need to remove a channel you can apply the UVW Mapping Clear modifier or in channel info click clear and then collapse the stack.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    thanx man! i spent forever trying to figure this out!

By the way, i was looking at your portfolio, is very impressive! :)