Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hey! Level Design / 3D Environment Dude over here! =)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
Hey there,

I'm Tristamus (Antonio Aiello). I'm a Level Design / 3D Environment focused artist! I'm about to graduate from ILIA - Chicago...

Take a look at my website and portfolio and see for yourself! Go to the "Gallery" section.

I also am aware that I still need to add Polycounts to my work, as there is none yet. I would like critiques, though, on what I should keep in / Take out of this WIP portfolio. Thank you guys...

Here's the website...

http://www.tristamus.com

-Tristamus

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    You're site is down, friend.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Grats on graduating.

Based on the title of your thread if you're looking to get a job doing environmental/level design work you should cater your portfolio to that. You're sort of all over the place.

Optimize your content and keep what is your best work. You have way too much going on. Things like Sword Brushed 2 is a nice piece which works well on its own. Present it in your portfolio like you do on your flickr page.

Don't like the font you have going on either. Maybe it's my old man eyes but it's too hard to read.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    really. you should just use some font that read easier. it hurts to read and its all too muddy/smudged...

also, just a personal preference.. put your gallery button before anything. Most employers go straight to that rather than read about you. make it as easy for them and as less confusing as possible.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...I agree. I've had alot of people comment about the font thing. I suppose I really should change that :o

Putting my Gallery button before everything sounds right. I think I'll do that too!

As far as the work is concerned though, what is the opinion? Should I get rid of some stuff? If yes, then what? My characters? Props? I am open to all these decisions...

-Tristamus
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Man! Portfolio!

Seriously though, I couldn't really tell if I was just spawning some toilet paper x-rays or if i was watching a website. You might want to alter the font and write your text as a text rather than image. Try to make it pleasant to eye (and actually readable).

You can also think about increasing image quality and decreasing their size (and provide a highres link where applicable).

As far as the content is concerned, there are some good images in your portfolio but you've also put some that drag the good ones down.

You don't have to note that if i click Portfolio 'll get to portfolio btw;)

sorry for a bit of a disjoint point, i typed as i thought ;)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I would have your main page as your gallery, its what employers will want to see first anyway. the colors and font of the site as already mentioned need work.

As for the work it self, you need to put up pics in better quality, right now most of them suffer from bad compression artifacts. Also, I'm running a widescreen monitor at 1680x1050 and I still have to scroll to see the complete pics, scale them down. Remove your characters, they're no where near industry standards.

Your resume reads like a bulletin board on your site, and the .doc has anomalies in OpenOffice (probably the most widely used open source text editor). You should have it in pdf to guarantee everyone can view it the same at the very least. You've also got the info in reverse, employers want to know your skills and work experience before education/awards/etc.

One other minor gripe I have is your eye symbol which is on everything looks poorly done. If your going to have a logo of sorts do it in vector or something to try and keep it clean and simple.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Like mentioned that font is rough, I would def look into finding something a little easier on the eyes.

I won't try to crit the env stuff, there's plenty of of env guys here who can do a better job at that but that character stuff I would consider just getting rid of. The faces you have just don't have solid structural anatomy. I feel like your just showing off you learned how to use alphas in Zbrush and just wanted to plaster them on everything before having good forms and anatomy first. The warrior guy as well, areas like the hands with awkward creases on the thumb area and fingers is rough.

If your passion if env work I would really just focus on that, unless you really have solid characters just as a extra boost, but right now they are just dragging the portfolio down. Hope I don't sound rude, just wanted to be honest. Good luck on the job search man!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As rough as you all may be on me at the moment, I agree with every single one of you and I'm here to listen.

I will be making pretty much all the changes to my website and portfolio that you guys have suggested, because I agree with all of you!

Thank god I actually got some real answers and critique here, otherwise I'd be thinking I was okay :D

I will get to re-doing my site then first of all, as that is what most poeple are going to see of my work first. I'll also take out the character crap and just leave my environments, and put some new ones / better ones in over time.

I guess it's up to me try step it up at this point ay? :)

Thank you, guys...really...

-Tristamus