Home Technical Talk

Maya Component Selections Remain and other things.

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
This is just a question to make sure I'm not losing my mind. I noticed this in Maya2008, and it still happens in 2009, only worse. Sometimes I'll be working on a component of a model, and when I switch to another component or object mode, it stays selected. The only thing is that it isn't really selected, it just just highlighted like it is selected. It is annoying as crap because sometimes I think I accidentally selected something when I really didn't. So far the only way I have found to get this slop to go away is by switching to that component mode, selecting all of those types of components on the model, and then deselecting them all. That or saving the scene, then open it again (which doesn't work very well for large scenes).

Anyone else experience this? Seems like it became more apparent in version 2009 with the multi-component and pre-select component features. Is there a prefs setting to keep this from happening or is it just a bug that may be addressed for version 2010?

Also, I noticed something really damn strange. I formatted my machine and didn't save my prefs, hotkeys, or marking menus (like a moron) before wiping the drive clean. Not a huge deal, or so I thought. I've had the same hotkeys for a really long time, probably since version 6 or 7. They were always so quick and easy to set up, I just made them on the fly if I formatted my computer (sometimes I would upgrade between a version or two of Maya without formatting my comp). Well, I went to create my hotkeys yesterday (the first time I've done so in version 2009), and all the options to create them are litterally gone. Am I missing something? There used to be the "alt" , "ctrl", "shift" modifiers and such to create a new hotkey.... Windows>SettingsPrefs>HotKeyEditor.... It has a box to input a new hotkey for a function, and a drop down that only list keys like, PageUp, PageDown, but those will fill that box and not be created as a modifier. If you click New, it brings in a totally blank worksheet for you to fill out with a title, description, script, etc. Any help?

Replies

• Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    yea that component selection bug happens once in a while for me too. i also didnt find another way around it than changing back to the particular component mode, selecting and deselecting everything. its not really bothering me anymore though as i kinda got used to it.

no idea whats wrong with your hotkey editor :/
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Same here have been having this bug since maya 8 upwards. 'tis annoying like Sa74n said go into the component mode in question and deselect all. My hotkey editor is the same as it's always been.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is what the hotkey editor looks like for me. I remember in prev. versions that there were check boxes for the modifiers like CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, etc. Notice how the "edit" button is grayed out. It doesn't matter which function in any menu I choose, the button remains grayed out.
    hotkey.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Man they really are fucking up this program at every new release hehe.
    If you have your old hotkeys I could try to convert them for you?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Just scale your menu window (click and drag bottom corner) it's too compressed for all the options to show...
  • Cheesestraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the edit button is only selectable for custom commands, you can not edit the command for the default commands.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    Just scale your menu window (click and drag bottom corner) it's too compressed for all the options to show...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! OH man! What a way to start the morning! You were so right! Next time I'll hit the maximize button before eating my All-Stars for breakfast. :thumbup: