Home Technical Talk

Removing baked in lighting from photoref

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
I'm currently looking for advice on removing baked-in lighting and highlights from photo-references. I'd really prefer a non-destructive way, but I'm dealing with very brightly lit references for my current project.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filter > Other > High Pass, the healing brush and good luck... its not an easy thing to do.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joy, I was afraid you'd say that... :P

I guess I can use a blurred version of the photo with a luminance adjustment layer to get the color back somewhat...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another big chunk of it does depend on the image and what its going to be used for.
    Probably can't post it or something close?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there should be a way in Photoshop to tune different levels of lightness including shadows since CS2 or so. Will have a look at it tomorrow
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, can't post it - it's some super hi-res photos taken by a frickin' 39 Megapixel camera by my workplace. Basically they grabbed a few local amphibians and reptiles and a couple stuffed ones, then held them and did their best to get the best photos they could. While they had a good light setup to use, they were dealing with (mostly) live animals and had to try and get what snaps they could as they tirned over the critters and such.

Thus, my question about removing baked in lighting. The highlights are bright, so I'll probably have to just deal with those myself as they'll still be 'flat' spots in a high-pass result.

Lotsa cropping will be needed, of course, but there's like eighty nice shots of each at just under 8000x4000. :D