Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]vik - Viktor Zics - Environment Artist

vik
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
vik polycounter lvl 13
boring story alert>> So 4 years ago I left my IT job to pursue my passion which is creating art for games. I got my degree in Computer Games Art from the University of Teesside in november. I spent the last few months polishing up my portfolio and will now try to break into the industry as a junior environment artist so wish me luck :)

Crits regarding the work/website are most welcome, thanks!

www.viktorzics.com

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    cool portfolio man, I really like the guy in the tube thinger, the materials look great, nice work on the glass. you have a nice variety of environments, the house and some scifi stuff which is good to have. the stairs scene is a little boring but it does look like an area you would travel through in a game.

with a quality folio like this I'm sure you will net a job in no time.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Vik: I always thought you were a game industry veteran or something probably because the quality of your work. Great job with the portfolio, and best of luck to you!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great work Vik! Really well put together work with lots of great details.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me, vik.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you are one of the few imo. that actually know of to present their models (good lighting/ rendering, layout,..) many portfolios I see here fail at that.
    Imo. the BMW has some flaws in teh subdiv modeling (overall everything on those renderings look to much smoothed - and there are hardly any hard edges). All in all I like the barn piece the most- it looks very professional in execution and has alot of nice little details that proove your expierence.
    good luck with the job hunt
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Brilliant stuff, theres a great deal of evidence here to suggest you will have a fantastic career if you can find people capable enough to recognize the true quality of your later works like the old house and man in the jar scene.

Its clear you made the effort all the way through on the house, you spent your polys in a frugal fashion on the bulk of the roof but put emphasis on higher poly counts around the outlines and trim work... where it actually counts.

This is a BIG thing, many veteran professionals do not realize or care about this, often a games glitchy framerate is more due to this than the game truly being technologically overambitious.

I'd say your polycounts are still a little high, but its all in areas where you'd be forgiven for loving the work a little too much, such as in some of the props. Regardless, its generally better to spend more polys to save more texture resolution and thats what you seem to prioritize.

It's still a good trick to save both though.

Your chimney stack hipoly is excellent, a willingness to research rather than relying on memory is a worthwhile trait to demonstrate and it'll reward you for as long as you continue to rely on it.

Your reinforcement of the brick forms in the lowpoly through floaters , after reasonably optimizing the base mesh are a smart way to go, lets you have more drop shadows without fragmenting your UV's and texture to support extruding them right out from the surface of the main stack.

Really, the only reason you might have to aim for a 'junior' role is the lack of a shipped title on your resume, Don't share that fact though ok? :)

Good luck with getting that, once you've gotten it , its your ticket to ride, anywhere.
  • arodz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arodz polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff man. I like the layout and also the the variety you have on your projects. Very good quality of work. Good luck!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey good stuff. Would be nice to see a few of the scenes fleshed out beyond hallways, and I think the Warhammer structure is nice, but the renders are super noisey. Did you run them through a Sharpen filter??

The brick chimney is really nice :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, quality is top notch. ++
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent work and presentation is solid. I'm definitely taking notes on this one.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Vik, nice stuff man. I think once you apply somewhere they will definitely take notice. Kepp pushing your stuff man... Let us know how it plays out...
  • theDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vik!

Very nice port man!

I agree with Adam though; The barn did appear to be really noisey. I'd say touch that up and its rock solid! :poly142:

Good luck to you sir, i'm sure you'll do great!
  • deazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your skills are really strong ! Keep it up !
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    nice work overall vic - though for such a strong it background, i wouldv'e though you'd avoid the use of tables in your web portfolio :p i know i'm anal...................

really like your 'test subject eight' peice
    oh, and good luck on finding a job (though not too much, i need some left over for my attempts at a job :))
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant! love it all :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    you know what I think man, it's really nice stuff
    checked your PM's recently?
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the comments guys, it is really a great feeling knowing that all the hard(but fun) work wasn`t in vain. I agree with the crits as well, I`m very critical of my own work tbh

Kevin: Thanks for the excellent detailed feedback sir, and also this coming from you is just overwhelming. You made my day :)

ImSlightlyBored: hey bud, sorry for the late reply, sent you a PM, thanks!

Thanks again dudes, I`ll let you know how it goes.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    great stuff. ur lighting and texturings skills r superb. Its hard to believe that ur not a already working in the gaming industry.

just curious. r u planning on making any tutorials?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup that barn is awesome! I like how you also did the nighttime and snow versions. Good luck with your job search.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    very nice work you have there, the layout and presentation is easy to read and direct to the point.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice vik, congratulations! :)

I particularly loved this: http://www.viktorzics.com/barn/wbarn.html
    amazing work!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great work! As someone already pointed out you should flesh out your scenes a little bit more. I'm talking specially about the modular building and staircase ones, which don't really match the level of detail of the other pieces.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    The only thing that I picked up that hasn't been covered yet is that your car has some pinching and odd shading in areas. The rear area and the circular logo on the side are the prime examples. It looks as if you modeled it in a bit of a rush. Still, very nice portfolio. I love the man in a jar piece :)
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys! A tutorial would be cool. However,for the time being I`m concentrating on the job hunt and I also feel I still have much to learn. But maybe in the near future :) Just out of interest: what kind of tutorials would you like to see?

Minotaur0 & urgaffel: touch
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the house, very solid work there. I especially like the chimney thing that's so precariously off balance, adds a lot of personality to an otherwise rigid house. I also like your clever use of UVs for the modern building's windows (the little square parts being reused on each one i mean, without looking repeated).

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding work, Looking at that house i thought you already had worked on some games :P Good luck anyway.
  • Will Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep up the good work Viktor :)