Home General Discussion

Raycatcher on D2D, Gratz John!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, I'm sure a bunch of you have already seen it, but our own John Warner has managed to develop a game fully independantly and self funded! He's been up on Stardock's Impulse for a little while, but he just managed to get up on Direct2Drive, which is pretty damn awesome I'd say! You can check it out at http://www.direct2drive.com/7894/product/Buy-Raycatcher-Download

So lets show some support! Congradulations John!

If you haven't checked it out yet there's more stuff up on http://www.thinkingstudios.com/

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Grats dude! Big step!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, thanks Mitch, you're too kind.

thanks bounchfx... we've still got a ways to go though.

i've been trying to think of ways to get publicity for this thing, but I'm nearing the end of my rope!
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, congrats!! i hope you are getting to where you want to go, this is inspiring!!clear.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    W00T! Good to hear!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm.... that's an interesting gameplay concept. Very simple, but it lends itself well to extrapolation. Kind of like Missle Command in reverse. (instead of stopping missles, you are catching them)

A good way to get publicity would be to "Gift" a copy to some major gaming sites, along with a personal missive describing the game and asking for a review / callout of some sort. Joystiq, Kotaku, and Penny Arcade would all be obvious candidates. Joystiq and Kotaku might be harder to persuade, but they would almost certainly be open to a paid advertisement. Tycho at Penny Arcade regularly blogs on their homepage alongside their comic updates. If he thinks your title merits it, he would probably say something.

When your game is available for digital download, you have to focus on digital promotions. Ask around on some of the more popular podcasts. They interview developers all the time. I'm sure some of them would love to hear impressions from a small indie developer. Get on one of those for a guest spot and you will have an opportunity to pimp your game.

Also, there are less...scrupulous methods of generating buzz for your game. If you get desparate, you can always consider resorting to those options. Internet drama is a proven method of drawing attention. Keep in mind that in order to keep things plausible, you would have to act as over-the-top and unreasonable as possible. I think of this as the "Jack Thompson" strategy.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    congrats Mr Warner!!

John,
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mothafucka i'm drunk!

you guys are the bestest. thanks so much for the w00tage.

Richard -- thanks so much for the kind words. actually, I've done a buncha that stuff. I emailed kotaku, and a buncha other sites. I've yet to look into podcasts and advertising. that's brilliant. I think i'll look into podcasts... first thing in the morning. did I mention I'm drunk? i am.

hammered in fact. hammered.

When I get rich.. hookers.. for everyone!!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work John! :thumbup:
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w00t! Looks like he's managed to get up on the front page of Steam now! I'm lookin forward to those hookers there John. :D

http://store.steampowered.com/
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    haha. This just popped up when I started Steam =)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! no way

awesome!!

300 copies and rising.

to be honest, i've got this really really nagging fear that sales are going to just STOP and the forum is going to explode with people yelling "THIS SUCKS ASS" ... i mean.. i think it's pretty good, actually, but.. meh. I've got launch anxiety!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Grats man!

Got a torrent link?

I kid, I kid :p
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol

we were actually thinking of putting one up just for publicity's sake.

i mean.. no! piracy is killing this industry!

Man, Steam is awesome!! they've done such a great thing towards marketing the game, i'm so happy. I didn't expect this at all. everyone give them all your money, seriously.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NO WAY!

there already is a torrent up of it. Lots of them, actually... and apparently it's been downloaded more time than god can count.

what the hell, i didn't expect that. well.. Hell, I guess people are playin it!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    haha, man. I guess that is the sign you have "made it"
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    haha.. grats John!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Just saw it on steam! Awesome job man =), very inspiring!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just noticing this now. Very cool! John, I hope your sales skyrocket. Good luck with this release and all of your future projects :)
  • Wheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Win a Hooker" lottery tickets with each genuine purchase would kill the torrents dead. Rockstar missed an opportunity there. Congrats John, really inspiring work.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha funny, Wheel

thanks guys.

Ughk. We didn't do enough QA. there are big bugs. We're getting some flamage. This is very stressful... we're workin on a patch, but there are big problems.

bleah.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sucks for the bugs, but still, grats on going steam!
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    You just got another sale :) Congrats on making it; not only is it very inspirational, it looks super fun :D It's a very cool concept; it's so hard to come up with a simple, fun design like this, and the video alone was enough for me to buy it. Again, GREAT JOB! :D

EDIT: I'll also let people at work know, etc. :)

EDIT AGAIN: Just played for a bit, it's really fun! I imagine you guys played Tempest 2000 a bit? It's very reminiscent of that, but totally different... which is about the highest praise I can give it :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats, dude!
    This would work really well as an iPhone game. Using the phone rotate feature. I can see this game really kicking off in the iStore.
    Best of luck with it, mate.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounchfx -- thanks man! yeah, we'll get em sorted.

Wow, thanks hobodactyl, we really appreciate that.. and i'm really glad you like it heheh. not everyone agrees!!

we have never actually played Tempest 200, but i'm going to look that up right now.

many thanks

Caseyjones-- thanks dude :) yeah, we've got an iphone version in the works. it's coming!! umm... slowly but surely hehe..

okay as soon as i get 500 bucks for iTorque, it's coming :) haha. we should be doing great

as of last night it had sold 1800 copies. I'm pretty jazzed about that. front page of Steam for the win.

seriously, I can't say enough good things about Valve. They've been just awesome.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    you made 9000 dollars so far ballin!

looks great, will be downloading it soon!
  • Daaark
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah.. heh just got sent an email about the kotaku article.. and was like HEY JOHN WARNER! :D

BTW, got a contact at Valve, they wont reply back to our company emails... we've been emailing jasonh, but not even getting a reply..
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe i was hoping someone would catch it. thanks guys. Thanks Daaark.

Dekard-- Other than jasonh, i really dont know what to tell you. as a matter of fact, he only replied to me when we were fully finished and being distributed elsewhere. it could very well be that the guy gets so much email that he simply doesn't respond to most of it.

I do have some other emails, but I think it would be extraordinarily imprudent of me to doll them out. Although I definitely like them, I certainly don't feel like I'm in a position of familiarity enough to do such a thing....
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Good luck with the First Person Shooter John :)
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaburan, there's no shooting involved. It's an adventure game. :)

And thanks for the goodluck (I know it's at John, but hey, his good luck is mine!)
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    before you buy itorque, you (depending on coders at hand) can straight use wolfgang engel's (former engine lead at rockstar) framework itself, which was the base of itorque:
    http://oolongengine.com/

nice read at kotaku. I can totally feel with you on the "liability" issue, one of the biggest reasons we never dared to sell luxinia licenses was the fact that we would be somewhat "bound" by it. And that doesn't work as "side project" when you have other tasks to do for living.

but I am sure you guys will make it somehow
    good luck with your venture!

who dares wins ;)