Home General Discussion

Modeling mental problems

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
Its my first post here and could anyone help me find the symptoms of my problem:
I tend to start modeling a character then just stop and quit, (i usually stop when i start to model the head ) Lol, i really want to know why. :'(

Replies

• EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    Hi Luke_Starkie. Hmm maybe its the problem that you have problems with the edgeloops ending in weird shapes? Maybe post a pic of that head. Do you have problems with human anatomy? Or its just like me i dont like make characters because i get bored. Or you maybe dont like it making that kind of art or art itself dont know.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im inclined to think that you hit something you cant overcome or you think it looks rubbish. If thats the case post your work on here and get some crits and advice. We have all been there at some point so dont worry about it but you do need to persevere.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I love drawing and modeling characters but i just quit half way through a character because all im going to do is let it sit on my hdd or something like that. I think what i need is some good texturing and uv mapping tuts for characters, Any good ones ?

Thanks alot :D

Edit: i will post some pics of a W.I.P character later :D
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I dont think laziness counts as a mental problem unless you're trying to get an adderall prescription
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    This sounds like a clear cut case of a short attention span and a lack of self discipline. Both are easily remedied by what frubes suggested, post your work on boards and brace yourself for critique and encouragement. Hopefully this will help steer you away from the bad habit of not finishing what you start! Good luck.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll start a new project as a w.i.p then post ASAP.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Could be lots of things. If you need to be more specific than "lack of motivation/self discipline" that is.

Personally, I've noticed since many years back that I have a tendency to slow down with my work, whether it's... 3D modelling, or 2D art, or even music, once I reach a point where what I've got is a solid foundation.

Like, if I'm modelling a character, I can look at a rough low-poly estimate where all the important edgeloops are in place, the proportions are right and the silhouette rocks. Then I'm like "this is an awesome basis!" and suddenly I don't wanna change it, because of some repressed fear of making it more complete, but of worse quality or something.

Or let's say I'm toying around in FL Studios, making music. I can spend hours messing about with drum loops, making new ones, introducing new sounds, letting it evolve. So I lay out the drum beats in a two minute track, and it sounds awesome. Then I just... stop. Because I've got awesome drums going, I probably won't be able to instantly produce a melody or bassline that's equally awesome. So I sort of feel like... well, maybe I should stop now, and if I feel really inspired I can come back and add to it... Because if I just start experimenting now, it'll go from being a good drum loop, to an incomplete, poorly composed song. A song rather than a drum loop, but a bad one rather than a good one! So I get compelled to just stop with something that's incomplete, but good. Rather than risk adding to it and destroying the carefully crafted balance I've got going so far.

Pretty weird stuff.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Make sure you know what your modeling before you start modeling, Don't let the excitement of starting a new project knock down the importance of proper planning prior to modeling. You'll end up in a spot you don't really know what to do and your motivation just dwindles from away.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think ive hit the nail on the heads, i cant model head very good, well i'll keep practising :)
    And i'll post a W.I.P ASAP.

Thanks all that have posted :D