Home General Discussion

Dante's Inferno

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
I was wondering how they were going to pull this one off, and the answer is they didn't (bother sticking to the book), but the art style in the trailer looks insane!!

http://www.dantesinferno.com/home.action

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at least we know what happened to the prince after The Two Thrones.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    It's true I've always hoped for a Dante's Inferno game, but now that I see it, I want more. Time will tell. If only they could have had Wayne Barlow's creative involvement with the project, I love his visions inspired by the poem. It's too bad he wasn't in a Director role or something. I'm sure his artwork has influenced their visual interpretations and probably helped sell the idea. The toothed flesh beast in the video reminded me of this Barlow painting, only EA's was injected with some sort of video game serum.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The worm thing reminded me of something from Spore, actually.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I love his scythe. I want one.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    very cool. bummer to turn it into an action game, but i guess that's where the AAA market is.

I'll get it just to see some imaginative environments, and unconsciously dredge through all the combat, like i do with most games.

KP -- Wayne Barlowe is my hero.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It does seem like a somewhat wasteful direction to take the game, but then again what do you do with the Divine Comedy IP. An RPG perhaps?

If someone were to lay it out in front of you and say "design a game with this" with no caveats or concessions, what would you do?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Haa, I think I still have "Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials" somewhere from when I was a kid. Actually, from when my older brother was a kid. Style of this trailer looks interesting enough, but I don't really like the hero character - ah well.

To Jackablade's question, would take it in a partially non-linear adventure/puzzle direction, with as much literary and atmospheric detail as there is in Planescape: Torment; it would be intricately written and depicted, but no one would buy it because it would not appeal to the 13-year-old violence and destruction market. Also, it would have massive writhing sex orgies combined with humans being torn apart by demons as the player watched, distinctly an outsider. If there were any action elements (I should hope there would be; can't all be a walk in the park) they would not resemble God of War in any way; there would be emphasis placed upon one's soul and individual mortality, or frailty. I guess a lot of it would probably resemble the Hell in Gaiman's Sandman, though less '90s, and more dark, without becoming entirely drab. Wet and shiny. Plenty of distended anus.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. This looks fun, but I also lament the action take. I think it'd be more interesting survival horror style where the objective is often to simply escape, not defeat a monster.
    The Barlow Inferno stuff is incredible. I've been a fan since the moment I laid eyes on his work. I think a serious adventure/survival-horror take on a trip through hell would be surreal and awesome.

Actually...I had a crappy game kinda like that. It was called Hell: A cyberpunk adventure or something and had Dennis hopper and a couple other actors in it.
    Pretty awful if I recall. I remember the technical hurdles I had to jump through to play it back in the day more than the game itself.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like EA's after their own God of War?