Daaark
polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Odd.

When I had posted this, it was 'out', and there was a link to download it. Then the link became a link to the autodesk site, for regular XSI. A search for it turned up a release that said April. Now I'm hearing August.

Delete thread?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I think it's a little bit pathetic to add plugins for source/ Unreal/ Crysis when the developers of those engines work internally with other tools anyway (except valve perhaps not sure though).
    For example crytek has a lot of custom maxscripts to export or prepare certain stuff for their engine because they added so much unique stuff that is by no means standard or available for any editor.
    In the end a real company propably rather pick a package that can be extended and tweaked by technical artists and devs to their needs. Does anyone know how and if XSI supports scripting like Mel, Maxscript, Phyton (blender) or Perl (modo)?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Python is used in SoftImage, Blender and Maya.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I think it's a little bit pathetic to add plugins for source/ Unreal/ Crysis when the developers of those engines work internally with other tools anyway (except valve perhaps not sure though).
    For example crytek has a lot of custom maxscripts to export or prepare certain stuff for their engine because they added so much unique stuff that is by no means standard or available for any editor.
    In the end a real company propably rather pick a package that can be extended and tweaked by technical artists and devs to their needs. Does anyone know how and if XSI supports scripting like Mel, Maxscript, Phyton (blender) or Perl (modo)?

Isn't the point of Mod tool to be used in a hobbyist setting rather than a professional pipeline? One that's a bit more of a bootstrap operation? In which case why not add something to help transition to the engine.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes and that might be a flaw in my post- it's just that I am not happy the way XSI develops right now. It's a bit like its going under now with autodesk.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I can agree with that sentiment. XSI was like this shining beacon of ingenuity and progress (thus my asking you about using it in that other thread). I fear it will fall by the wayside now instead of continue to climb up as it seemed to be doing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    In the end a real company propably rather pick a package that can be extended and tweaked by technical artists and devs to their needs.

Yes, and that is the saddest thing for the artists. Why scarifying fluid modeling and powerful creation tools, for the sake of more wires to pull and connect to the engine? For sure every asset has to go through export. But (ideally) 90% of artists time should be spent dealing with the native modelling tools of a program, not exporting.

Its even more true in our nextgenish days, since the highpoly source art is completely independant from the triangles exported the game.

So yeah screw exporters and fancy engine plugs, and welcome back XSI. I have no idea how to use it but I hear it is very powerful for character art. (the softselection alone is a thing of beauty from what I've seen).

Exciting!