Latest progress:

(note nails aren't finished at all, and glow map is quick ;x

rendar.jpg

Replies

• Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey David! Nice to see you joining up. Personally I really like the very middle one in your box of nine and the one bellow that in middle. Looking forward to seeing how your ideas develop man!
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Heya Clipseh ^^ thanks for the comment, and I have to agree on those choices, so I went a head and did a few roughs (well started as roughs, but so much fun, I got carried away)

demonroughs1.jpg
    demonroughs2.jpg

Wanted each one to feel different. Not sure what I'm going for yet, probably a mix between the first and the last, I did what I didnt want to and got hooked on my initial sketch, which has a strong Frank Frazetta influence. Now I'm gonna see what I come up with for a steed, I don't usually draw animals, but hopefully the studying will pay off. I'm thinking a dog, maybe a Cerberus type thing, I dunno, lets see what happens :P
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really digging the bottom right one honestly. The bare chest one on the top left looks too much like Azeroth from Soul Calibur. The others are ok, but I don't think they are as strong. The bottom left looks off, maybe it's the higher wider shoulders, or just the nightmare like armor.

Anyway, yeah I would build off the bottom right one. I love the hanging bits and the way it looks.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help man, its all appreciated, I've reworked the bottom right one in my sketchbook, but I do get a feeling that I've been a bit too generic, I'm gonna see how i can spruce it up more I think. In the mean time I've been working on some steed thumbs, if anyone feels like pointing out which they think are best I'd appreciate it :P

demonprincewip.jpg

steeds.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i like that last character, very nice but i would make those horns wider, looks too tight right now, imho.
    keep up!
  • NuclearWarrior
    I think I like the head of 6, and the body of 9 fits with the main character. I might play with some horse ideas for the steed. Whatever it is, do you plan to give it armor? Just wondering, I could see it with or without.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and comments ^^ they're much appreciated. I dunno what to do about the steed tbh, i'm doing it since I'm not used to anything none-human, but everybody tells me that they dont see my character riding a steed, at least not any of the ones I've designed. After developing him a bit further, I think i might go a different direction, I'm not sure yet.

anyhows here's how he stands at the moment, I wanna tweak the proportions a little more, they're not quite how i'd like them, I'm thinking more of a arched back, rounder chest. I've been playing with colours, first is polycount theme (which i suppose would be the "death" version) and then fire and ice, based on the different magic types that were in the brief.

colourcompare.jpg

and a few weapon concepts:

weaponthumbs.jpg

current steed state:

steedwip.jpg
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man David you REALLY nailed the new legs! Just what I was thinking and they don't overpower the rest of the character. But I still like the skirt better honestly, the new loin cloth is not at nice. I also like the addition of the green choice it's very nice, but I don't feel it as a "death" version. Imho if you were going for a death version you can keep the green, but fade out to a more dark purple and dead type of color scheme. I think the two colors could play off one another nicely and give this very toxic, and deadly look to your character. If you stick with the pure green, maybe he could be poison? be even then some purple would be nice.

About the steed. I think the problem right now is the bulk of the character and the sleekness of the steed. Right now the steed looks more like a pet dog, not something that could support the weight of the demon (despite the face the steed is probably very large in comparison). Instead maybe you could try something bulkier like a rhino, maybe some kinda big reptile lizard or komodo dragon type thing (since reptiles still keep that fast look but also have the bulk of a mount), or even just a really big dog, maybe Cerberus or something might be a good fit as well. I just think the reason people are having trouble seeing it is the differences in the body type and that you haven't drawn them together yet, haha.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits/advice man, much appreciated. I agree about the steed, its kinda too streamlined for such a bulky guy. Here's a sketch I came up with, bulkified

pooch.jpg
  • TBone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool concepts man. I like color treatments on the main guy. The new bulked up steed is cool. I was looking at the first ones you did and I really like the head on #8 and #4.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Good exploration so far! Love the shapes of the main guy and the muscular dog. I find a lot of the detailing on the main guy's glowy parts follows last year's 3D winner a little closely, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Keep going!
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I much appreciate them ^^ and yeah, i know what you mean about the last years winner :| i just looked at it the placement of some are in the same places.

basmesh.jpg

I dunno what to do tbh, i just made this basemesh i was going to take into zbrush, but I've been told multiple times that my guy is too generic, and muscly demon is overdone. I think I'll retire him and try to come up with something else.... I'll have to paint the image I have of him riding on his dog sometime though, since I've had it in my head for over a week now, I gotta be more inventive I guess. I did what I always do and concentrate on one idea too much, instead of pursuing everything i could.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Imo horns those shape + the muscular body are very common

I dig the crystal growth thingies, you could try throwing in more of it, try to break up the humanishness of him, make him more asymmetrical?
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Imo horns those shape + the muscular body are very common

I dig the crystal growth thingies, you could try throwing in more of it, try to break up the humanishness of him, make him more asymmetrical?
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well due to the feeling I went far too generic, I'm just going to have fun with some ideas now and see what i like, so here's a big batch of thumbs if anyone wants to pick some, go for it

thumbs.jpg
    thumbs2.jpg

I'm already leaning towards 45, I have the image of a really cute laughing baby ontop of the huge demon riding it as it cause chaos and destruction.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Damn dude! It's not easy coming up with unique silhouettes, but each one of these has something different to offer. So many cool ones here.
    Here's some of my thoughts:

14 - appeared a bit too weak to me at first, but after looking at him I think he could end up really cool if pushed in the right direction.
    16 - Could be a really cool "bestial" type demon. Really like his shape.
    32 - Same thing as 14, one of the more unique ones.
    33 - Really cool body shape, although I'm not sure what Demon category he would fit into.
    52 - He could definitely rock
    54 - since you want to get away from "generic" I would stay away from this one, but none the less, he looks wicked.
    55 - very unique. I'm not sure what it is, but I like the feel. Lots of potential.

And of course, 45 would be fun to do, so I don't blame you if you wanna go with that.

Putting all these different ideas out there will probably yield a lot of different opinions. Just gotta go with your gut in the end though I guess. Good luck!
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    What Nuclear said but toss in 6 and 19, both of those stuck out to me too.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3, 4, 6, 7, 54 get my votes. Though 54 is generic, still looks awesome :).
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    I know I am not helping by suggesting even more, but 17, 10 and 45 caught my eye. Nice unique shapes with contrasting elements :)
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it I explored a few of them, some more than others:

demonbaby1.jpg
    demon6.jpg
    demon5.jpg
    demon4.jpg

And thanks Nuclear, for some reason thumbs aren't such a big problem for me, but detailing is :( once you get into a groove they just seem to flow out one after another.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so i decided with the baby prince and his epic mount, I'm not too happy with the arms, but the rest is going okay, I need to do some more sketches of the prince and give him a bit more character, atm all this is, is a reference sheet.

mount for baby prince:

domwarmount.jpg

Reference sheet for prince:

demonbaby2.jpg

some arm thumbs if anyone is willing to throw out an opinion.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/davidskiwan/Temp/domwararms.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    wow, such killer ideas, you sir are a genius! :)

17 caught my eye.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Love 20 :)!
    Awesome work!
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Going for the baby on huge mount though :P

worked on the basemesh for my prince, next will be the basemesh for his epic mount minion thingy

princebasemesh.jpg
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on the start of this guy David, good luck when you move him over to sculpting! This one should be pretty awesome :). If only I could have got a big badass creature like that for my 2nd birthday :P.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man! saving the baby until I feel a bit more comfortable in Z-brush, since I'm still quite new to it, I've gone and started on the mount. It's only my second pass, I haven't started on the details yet, but i'm almost done with the form. If anyone has any tips/recommendations lemme know I'm hungry for knowledge!

2ndpass1.jpg

2ndpass2.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool weight on this guy- I like all the weird tendrils and such, piercing in and out of his skin.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I think he looks weighted pretty weird since his arms a mahoosive, its hard taking screens of him :x

I've prettymuch finished my zbrush work on him, onto the baby next. I'm working on the low poly, I'm not sure if i should, but I think i'll drop some polies on the teeth, its a nightmare to get it working with the mouth opening.

bleh.jpg

lowpoly.jpg

low poly weighs in at 6531 atm, I still need to save room for the baby prince riding him, and a few accessories.

For fun, I did a really quick pelt map uv of the guy and baked a normal map, I've never got to this stage of high poly before, I wanted to render a normal map to see what its like, I thought it came out pretty well for a quick job, I had to play with the number by the side in the material editor to make it pop out more, is that allowed? It looked really flat before I did. I'm really new to this so go easy on me :x

pelttest.jpg
  • DrElu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn man! I really like your way of design!
    And very nice job on the sculpt so far! The normalmap is coming out pretty good for a quick pelt unwrap.
    Keep it up! =)
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I was pretty surprised about the quick pelt map too. Unfortunately I encountered some problems after. For Some reason, x-normal generates normal maps with errors, for some reason on the belly it projected a leg ontop of it. I cant load in my high res into maya or max without it crashing, I think its because the entire thing is just one model. I can only generate a normalmap in zbrush, and even then i cant even use the highest sub division level. I'm not sure what to do about this tbh, I really don't know what to do for ambient occlusion either, only idea is to cut it into bits generate each part and the put the parts together in photoshop.. so I've moved onto sculpting the baby now

heres the normal mapped low res, hopefully I can get a higher level subdivide on there through the above method, who knows.

normalmaped.jpg

and my early wip baby sculpt :
    babywippeh2.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    time to update with all the progress i've gone through since last post, i dunno if i'll finish in time, but i'll try my best:

current texture work:

rendar.jpg

final baby work:

babeh.jpg
    babehnormalmapped.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought i might as well update this with my final stuff, I had to really rush to get it in on time, and still, wasn't really up to scratch :/ but oh well, I've learned a lot doing this ^^ never finished a high poly/normal mapped model before

presentation.jpg
    construction.jpg
    beauty.jpg

the WIP texture on the baby, and some fun kinda pose, I've had numerous comments that he looks like he has a vagina, but oh well :(

babbeh.jpg

Been an awesome learning experience anyway, I cant wait till next years!