Home Technical Talk

Select all tris/ngons in 3d max

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
The annoying thing is I know how to do this in Maya easily :/ But I'm not going to export to maya just to use the select using constraints tool and then import back to max...

I have searched and everyone just suggests to use polyboost or orionflame which both have tools to do this and they work fine, but I dont want to install either of these big tool packages and only want to do 1 thing - I know you can install the package and hotkey the tool but that still means I have to install the whole set of tools and leave them lying around in my scripts folder somewhere, which I dont like.

I found a script that counts all the tris/ngons etc and displays the number of each type but it doesnt select them; http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/polygon-edge-summary

I figured all I need to do is edit this script to select the faces, but I'm struggling with just selecting the tris alone :/
I know it probably has something to do with "numSidesType = 3" at least -.-

Theres probably a easier way to make the script; select all 4 sided faces and then invert selection... but I still have no clue how to do that either.

Replies