Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lexington (gargoyles)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
I saw a really amazing sculpt of Goliath from my favorite cartoon as a kid and it made me really want to do something like it.

So i decided to do lexington..my second fav gargoyle.

I don't know how to pull a good render from zbrush....so this is just a screenshot.

if you can help explain to me how to render out of zbrush that'd be great.

im thinking about unwrapping and stuff if its' good enough.

C&C welcome and reeeelly needed :D

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    As far as i understand it, the easiest way to jazz up your zbrush renders is to just slap a cool looking material on it, they're found by selecting the sphere to the left, the fancy ones are aranged at the top. The "skin" materials do wonders for organic sculps. Once selected you can adjust the hue and all that as you wish by simply moving the sliders just under the sphere where you would normaly select color.

Under "render" you can adjust some settings if you want, though it's really not necessary, just the preview view of zbrush is pretty good. A lot of the settings wont take effect untill you press the "best" setting, located at the very top of the options "render" options box.

Sculpt looks good man, kinda screams for some low frequency scale/ rock-statue detail though. Can achieve those pretty easily just using the drag and drop and some alphas.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    crazyfingers- thanks, i would put rock statue detail on him....except this is the gargoyle from the show gargoyles from the 90's....and although they do turn into stone..he's not stone in this sculpt. I wanted to do a lively sculpt of lexington.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    yo wes.

I think your sculpt looks pretty good... the forms are all there, looks very much like Lexington, spot on.

All I'd recommend you do from here is to continue your tertiary detail further. The skin here is very smooth, and I'd expect a bit more high freq stuff going on... pores in skin, small cuts/scratches/ a slight bumpiness to break up the smooth. A good example is here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=60191

I got this off zbrushcentral forums from pumumu. God Of WAr Cyclops sculpt. use as inspirado.

notice the variations in bump in his flesh etc. Not sure if this is the exact kind of look you're going for, but waht I'm saying is that this level of detail would benefit your sculpt.
  • Tillman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Wester that sculpt looks awsome dude, maybe a little more detail around the neck maybe?