Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skate Warehouse

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
Working on a skate warehouse for my senior project.

The story is basically, a company tanked and left their warehouse to the public. Some people came in and are in the process of turning into a skater paradise. Some of the items are fully built while others are still in the process of being constructed. The warehouse itself started off fairly huge so that the player would have room to skate around without running into a bunch of other junk. Time constraints have led me to condense my environment down to a smaller section of the warehouse. I chose the loading dock area to focus my attention.

A final quarter deliverable is due next week. We have next quarter to finish the project but we wanted to get as far as possible now. I figured I'd do the more important props to texture. I'll model and unwrap the warehouse itself and that will be it for this quarter.

Next quarter I plan on making the filler stuff: trash, boxes, crates, equipment, old vending machines, pallet movers, storage shelves, etc. Possibly even some left over machinery. Not totally sure yet.

Hope you enjoy. C & C Welcome

Replies

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some of my props. Textures are still a W.I.P. but as finished as they'll be for this quarter were as I'll be spending the rest of my time modeling the rest of the warehouse and unwrapping it.

ramps_01.jpg

fun_box_02.jpg

ramps_05.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screen shot wire frames

ss_01.jpg

ss_02-1.jpg

ss_03-1.jpg

ss_04-1.jpg
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Looking pretty solid - How are you going to handle the warehouse textures? Something tiled I hope. Also are you doing this in a game engine? How are you planning on presenting the final piece?
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yes I am going to tile the warehouse textures quite a bit but I'll add decals (stickers, banners, graffiti, maybe a bulletin board or something) to mix it up.

As of right now I hope to get it Unreal when I'm all finished with it.
    Been debating possibly just building the warehouse itself with brushes and just bring in the props. Not really sure yet. Probably figure it out part way through next quarter or over my break.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea the warehouse could definitely be built from brushes (too bad unreal bsp sucks bawls to work with).

another note. dont use crazybump for your spec map. make your own starting with your diffuse. also turn down the large scale slider to 0 when youre generating normal maps in CB.

careful with the graffiti, they shouldnt have any bump. use the spec to bring them out.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bsp's are not too bad to work with. I just think I'll probably get better results if done that way.

Thanks for the help. As for the spec and nrms. Just did really quick to so not to be just straight diffuse. Was going to go back when I update the textures and make new nrm and spec maps.

Your totally right about the graffiti as well. Was thinking to take out of diffuse completely and make as all separate decals. That way the ramps and walls will have their own spec and nrms and same with the decal stuff but without the bump.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd say anything that's fairly blocky and just needs a tiled texture you could easily do with BSP. Looking pretty solid so far, looking forward to seeing more of the textures.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small up date. Close to done with modeling the stuff I need for this quarter. The textures and lighting are still a W.I.P. Ultimately I want to have most of the main props done textured and get the rest of the warehouse unwrapped by finals.

ss_001.jpg

ss_002.jpg

ss_003.jpg

ss_004.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good, I see alot of wasted poly loops though, do you really have to have all those horizontal knife cuts? couldnt you just delete all those polys and then close the holes?
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    couldnt you just delete all those polys and then close the holes?

Thx. Yeah I can do that. I needed it on the ramps but I forgot to clean the loading dock and the wood parts that don't need them. I can get rid of some and will update with next post.

There is no limit for this project, poly wise. I am currently sitting around 17,800 tris so far for the whole scene. Not too worried about cutting a few hundred or so. But I do want to keep mostly optimized and get the best use of my polys.

Thx for the heads up.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know if this is going to end up being a playable environment? Regardless of that I think what makes a lot of these games interesting to play is a variation in horizontal and vertical design. By that i mean, currently a lot of your assetts and interactive stuff, jumps and the like, are all on the floor spread out horizontally with little attention to whats is above vertically or what links the horizontal stuff together. It would be nice to have interactive things above jumps, even gangways and walkways you could skate across and are only reachable by doing specific combos or moves. Also think about the linking of your jumps, how would you get from one to the other? Theres a large gap between the floor jumps and the lights at the moment, i would also consider trying to bridge that in some way. Other than that its coming along. Try and rough out some more ideas on paper.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frubes wrote: »
    i dont know if this is going to end up being a playable environment? .... Also think about the linking of your jumps, how would you get from one to the other? .... Try and rough out some more ideas on paper.

Thanks. I had originally drawn out a much bigger warehouse area so that the area was not so cramped and compact. I ran short on time for this milestone so it was suggested to focus in on a more specific part of the warehouse, by bringing the assets in close to make it a more complete scene. I can spread it out later but I need to have some kind of piece mostly done by next week. I have next quarter to finish and possibly spread everything out and have a better flow to it.

I did a quick flow chart of how I'd see this place being used as is though.

test2.jpg
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Those metal things on the garage door (tracks?) should link up to some metal pipe that goes around the egdes of the room for an excuse to have an upper grinding surface!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Few notes, I know things are very wip -

- I see a lot of small chamfered edges in your later shots. Do a proper high rez and edge control bake and drop those chamfers like a bad habit.

- A lot of your meshes could be better broken up and used modularly. Stairs are a prime example. Not only could you better re-use them, but those edge cuts don't need to run the length of that raised ground section and your collision, texture and material use will be reduced. Your half pipe as well I could see the ground (where you currently have wood connecting the two ramps) being just concrete or a modular piece that connects each side. Ceiling pipes could be broken up as well. Save time and work smarter.

- Keep meshes on the grid. The grid is your god.

- Light fixtures are too low res. Yes, they may never be seen, unless maybe you fly off the half pipe right by them. Just ensure the silhouette is near round and remove any detail on top that won't be seen.

- Think about breaking up the building shape. A giant squre / rect room is boring.

- Light light light. A bit cliche for a wharehouse, but consider some windows, or cool skylight, or a roof chunk missing for some dramatic light.

I think you could use BSP just fine for the walls. With a few modular assets such as pipes, metal fixtures / construction beams, doors, windows, etc to cover the surface it should look fine. Decals would be a nice addition as well, though keep in mind Unreal's decal system sucks. Cards and custom unlit mats might be the way to go.

Cheers,

Tyler
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Daaark. That's a cool idea. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks Tyler. Good idea with the modular stuff. I had a due date this morning of that progress so the ceiling pipes and such were last minute. I will be making
    90 degree bend and straight vent objects for it. They will have spots were they connect as well (to the wall and to each other)

I will start the unreal section of this over my break. I should have a good block out with some better lighting by early on in my next quarter. Did not realize unreal was not that good with decals. So I'll make as separate small mats.

Appreciate the advice.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade wrote: »
    Thanks Daaark. That's a cool idea. I'll keep that in mind.
    I've played most of the THPS games to death, so I can instantly picture how I'd interact with that space. And in true THPS tradition, you need a real advertisement on 3/4ths of all visible surfaces! ;)

If those garage door tracks aren't there to trick off of, they have no reason to exist. I can picture myself doing a jump, and colliding with those things sticking out there, especially when trying to jump over that gap.

What's that thing down in the gap? It's the perfect place for a little quarterpipe ramp! Also, you have boards just leaning against the wall. They should be laying flat and connecting the surfaces together so that players can easily get from spot to spot, to make a long combo line.

That boards near the door should lie across the grap to the raised area from the half pipe, and the ones against the wall on the far right should link that quarterpipe to that other raised surface at the bottom right.

The raised area near the doors should be bordered by a railing (nice place to lay that board). Especially where those stairs are. (Oops, I just looked through the pics again, and you DID lay the board there. It's not visible in all your pictures).

Big fan of this scene.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad your a fan. I have too played the THPS series from 1 to Project 8. Loved them all. As soon as Skate came out I really enjoyed that style. I have been skating in real life since I was 11 or so and I enjoy the slightly more realistic feel to the Skate series.

I was originally pushing toward the Skate style. Although you can still do combos in Skate and I am going to need to implement that better with the rest of my scene, to better the line flow like your talking about. They have added the option to get off the board now which could lead to more manueverability around the level. (I know TH does as well) This I will need to keep in consideration as well.

As for the piece in the gap area. It is a scissor lift w.i.p. I could extend the lift up so its flush for people to ride over. It was inteneded as a way to move boxes, pallets, etc from the sliding door down to the main floor.

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the piece in the gap area. It is a scissor lift w.i.p. I could extend the lift up so its flush for people to ride over. It was inteneded as a way to move boxes, pallets, etc from the sliding door down to the main floor.
    Yeah, I noitced that after I posted. I was focusing on one shot where it wasn't very visible.

And I wasn't thinking of the newer features where you can move objects around manually. Are the pallets there for ramp improvisation? I haven't played recent games. I stopped when THUG made THPS less of a skating game, and more of series about immature pranksters on skateboards.

THPS4 was the end of the line for me. That game was perfect. Not to mention that the hardest things in THUG were easier than some of the goals in the first 2 THPS levels!

Haven't gotten to SKATE yet, but it's on the TODO list.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    ... Are the pallets there for ramp improvisation? I haven't played recent games. I stopped when THUG made THPS less of a skating game, and more of series about immature pranksters on skateboards... Haven't gotten to SKATE yet, but it's on the TODO list.

THUG 1 & 2 threw me off as well. Did not care for them. They did get better though after those two. If you enjoyed the TH series you would more than likely enjoy skate as well. The game play is unique and can become very entertaining. I highly recommended maybe just renting it or something. I have only played the original Skate. I haven't gotten a chance to play the new one yet but have heard good things.

Anyways... yeah the pallets were for ramp improv. I was also using cinder blocks and such. Could lay those around the scene as well. (strategically of coarse)

• A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on what I've been up to. Still w.i.p.

Working on adding lighting, floors, roofing, wall decals (posters, banners, graffiti, grime for under windows), and finishing the doors.

m3_ss1_redo.jpg

m3_ss2_redo.jpg

m3_ss3_redo.jpg

C & C welcome.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is so much dark gray, or shades very close to it in all the textures. It looks like a big gray smear. But then again, that may be viewport lighting messing with your screenshots?
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's your plan with the floor?
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Daaark - I see what your saying about the greys.
    a) in engine light or a decent in program lighting would really help. Just using defaults in those renders. Might be better once I get the lighting working correctly and looking good.

b) I could saturate or add some more color into some of the greys if you think that would help make it look less blobbish.

- Rokkx - For the floor I was thinking like big cement slabs. That way I can make a few different slabs (cracked, broken, normal) and repeat them around. It was suggested since I'm going to be having parts of the roof missing to have built up puddles or debris under the holes on the floor. Also looking to make some trash to take away some of the 90 deg angles around the floors.

Thanks for the comments.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. If your going to have a concrete floor, I suggest you add some sort of metal/hard rubber transitions on the base of the ramps like below. It'll add more character to your ramps, plus make more sense :)

kc_indoor_skate_park1.gif
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second the need for better lighting, this really doesn't do anything justice.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Their is a lot of debris in the way for it to be a skate area. You have the cluster in the left corner that no one will go to, a ramp facing the wrong way, wood blocks along with those stacker things in the way of any proper skating. Just seems a little bit disorganized.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Rokkx - Gotcha man. That is a great idea. What kind of metal do you think that is. Just sheet metal painted? I personally have seen the metal transfers but never black like that. Looks sleek though. Will add those to the ramp edges soon.

- StJoris - I know the lighting is lame. My bad. Will have for final shots later.

- whats_true - I had a more open area where the character would be able to have room to skate. For the sake of finishing this project on time it was suggested to make a smaller, more condensed area and populate that. As for the area where the "debris" is at now is just like their building area. I had a whole separate area of the warehouse where the people would be building ramps and putting decks together but just wanted to add into scene. I could move slightly further off screen if it is too distracting.

Thanks for the comments and advice. Much appreciated.
  • Rokkx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure on exactly what it is, perhaps sheet metal. all i know is its very thin for easy transitioning on and off the ramp. My friend skates a lot so I'll ask him if they use some sort of hard rubber as well
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    @A.Kincade

Debris fine as long as it makes sense. If I were to be skating in that area, I might move a few things out of the way, cause it would seems like I would be running into people when I'm trying to skate.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    What Zero said, stop tossing your textures into filters and leaving them be! Don't use those spec maps, especially not as your final. You need to turn down the shape recognition on almost all of those maps, experiment with the detail as well. That's all my input, everyone else seems to be covering most of what I'd say.

Keep at it! Definitely coming along.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I'll be getting this quarter. I'll be going back on my own time to revisit this project. Would like to move on to outdoor skate environments. Here is what I got thus far.

Warehouse_ss_1.jpg

Warehouse_ss_2.jpg

Warehouse_ss_3.jpg

Here is my favorite prop from the scene rendered out with Marmoset.

Warehouse_prop_ss_1.jpg

Any c & c welcome. Thanks for the comment, advice, and feedback. Little or small it all helped in one way or another. Thanks again.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Biggest problem still to me is the lighting. WAY too dark, its hard to see everything. I just did a reaaaal quick paintover of some ideas to make this pop more.

skatecrit.jpg

Super rough, but at least you can see the environment.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I think this is dead, it pops back up. I love it, but the lighting is weak. The lamps aren't even lighting themselves!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    yea, I agree w/ what others are saying. Lighting, materials, and composition are really holding this piece back. Are you doing this all in a 3d app? I'd suggest getting this into Unreal or another editor. Should only take ~hour or so if you're familiar w/ the tools.

Keep at it.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Your "favorite prop" looks like it has stretched UVs on the edges of the stairs.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    gamedev wrote: »
    yea, I agree w/ what others are saying. Lighting, materials, and composition are really holding this piece back. Are you doing this all in a 3d app? I'd suggest getting this into Unreal or another editor. Should only take ~hour or so if you're familiar w/ the tools.

do this.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    where are all the wheels marks, its got graffiti but never been skated?? these little things sell scenes
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Biggest problem still to me is the lighting. WAY too dark, its hard to see everything. I just did a reaaaal quick paintover of some ideas to make this pop more.

skatecrit.jpg

Super rough, but at least you can see the environment.

thats way too saturated, IMO its not too dark the levels are wrong, in this image all i did was psuh the levels so that the high points are correct then desatured

paitover.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Skeptical Nate - I know the lighting sucks. Just wanted to get something in there rather than nothing. I understand what your saying with the paint over.

- Daaark - I like to keep you in suspense wondering if it'll show up again. :poly124:

- gamedev - Yeah I did not get a chance to throw into unreal. Asa suggested the same thing. Now that it's over with I'll need to do it on my own time. Like over break or next quarter b4 portfolio so I can at least have it for that. Thanks again for your advice. Sorry I missed you when you came by the school as well. Would have liked to meet you and talk with you one on one a bit.

- zilk - I know what your saying. Looked fine in maya. When in marmoset it looked streched. Some people just think it looks grinded on or used, but I'll go back and check and make sure they are not stretching.

- Snight - Will do good sir.

- Spepeiro - Gotcha. That is a great paint over. I see what your saying about the levels. So push the high levels and desaturate huh? Will look into giving that a try. Hopefully getting some legit lighting will help all that.

Thank you all for your time, advice, and comments. I am learning a lot from this project and I appreciate all the help I can get. Cheers.