Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 2D - Wake

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wake polycounter lvl 17
howdy howdy howdy.

I'm not sure if I want to do robots, demons or normies, so for now I'm going to at least do some preliminary concepts in all 3 categories. I realize I'm posting with only 6, but I've got more on the way-- I just want to commit to a post right now, that way I'll work harder :)

demon1.jpg

Replies

• wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Work WAKE
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Some really nice poses in the 2nd set. In the first set, I think 3 has the strongest forms
  • machuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #4 on your first post looks really nice. would really stand out.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    This bunch and the last ones are a pretty mixed bag. In the first set I agree that 3 and 4 have the strongest forms. As for the second set, I'd pursue 1 or 4-- I think I've got some interesting ideas for how to flesh them out.

But not on to that yet! More thumbs! Because right now I realize I've done woefully too little work at this first stage. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to really post some work.

At least now I have a set of normies, demons and bots. Methinks I won't be pursuing the bot direction much further tho-- these last 6 were by far the most laborious to produce. I've got a new set of norm and demon thumbs almost done, but it's getting late now so I'll save those for tomorrow.

robot1.jpg
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay okay, enuff with the silhoutes lets see some real action!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    So I lied, and had to finish this demon set before bed. But don't worry Deathelmz, tomorrow will see at least one of these fleshed out. But for now, more demons, because demons are fun.

I imagined #11 as a massive floating gateway (though right now the scale doesn't come off that way), which in and of itself wouldn't be the most terrible offensive weapon but all the weird crap that comes out if it would be. Whereas #9 would just prefer to eat your face off itself.

demon2.jpg
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The idea of a portal demon is pretty awesome, I would like to see that concept taken further. Other than that, I like number four in your first post and the last one in your second post. Gothic armour, hell yes. From the machine set I'd say number three, nice hulking frame, but could see it being a small flying bot as well.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Started with #3 demon-- I like the coloration on the arms but I'm not sure how much it fits with the rest of the body. Hooray for lobster and shrimp reference though!

Anyway, I think I'll either take a stab at the portal demon or one of the normies next.

3demon.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    i think #5 in the first post is my favorite. in this millipede demon, is he pulling up his face? or is that a mask?
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    richkid-- I imagined the head as this sort of stone/obelisk type object, so you've got the fleshy body that then connects this stone piece. The silhouette illustrates it better; the hands aren't supporting the head at all.

Anyway, I took a stab at #4 from the human section. I think my idea was much better than what I ended up drawing,. Unfortunately, I kind of got tired out working on having restarted on it multiple times. Which is sad, because it looks like it only took 20 minutes.

The idea for the character was that he's a monk of sorts whose collected potent relics from all the religions of the galaxy and is able to channel through them in a sort of weaponized spirituality against the demons. Right now though he just looks like a guys with fluffly robes and some skulls. Balls.

man4%20copy.jpg
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the way you placed greentooth on your model.
    It's pretty simplistic design, but in a good way, he has a lot of potential.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    I like the demon and all those arms sticking out from his shoulder and back.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like 1 and 5 in both the top two sets. Especially in the second set. Man. good stuff!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    #5 in the top two sets are my favourites.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    So far so good, Wake! :thumbup:

As you know I'm doing warmachines so looking at your silhouette sets I'm attracted more to your robot sheet. I like the #4 one the best.

I'll return for updates.

cheers

• wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for all the posts guys. Been busy the last few days other drawing-y things unfortunately, but thankfully tomorrow I'll have some downtime to get at least a couple of good posts up. That's the plan at least :)

On the bright side, I know how to make my own wood textures now.

Anyway, it would be a crime for me to post without an actual content update of some sort, so BEHOLD! THE WHALEPHANT!

whalephantsm.jpg

(personally I think it's my best design yet)
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    The last pic is an obivious winner, i must say that the religious monk collector is really cool.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    quick one here...

@morte-- I was pretty happy with it too, tho unfortunately I'm rubbish with cloth...

@diwan-- I agree, that's why he was first :) definitely leaning towards that one, at least on the demon side.

@Sectaurs & caseyjones-- at least one of those is next in line for some love.
    and caseyjones, your avatar is just wrong :) (dig the mustache tho sectaurs...)

@MagicSugar-- nice to see my warmachines getting some love. I made a conscious effort when doing the thumbs to avoid the giant humanoid juggernaut trope.

@Belltann-- I definitely want to revisit the monk at least one more time even if I don't go with him as a design. I want to make sure I do it at least some justice.

Anway, did a quick study of #1. The story in my head is that he was an astronaut on an exploratory mission that went wrong and essentially left him for dead but with life support. Somewhere/somehow along the way he transcended and is now this beastly thing that returns when he senses the demon-portals opening. I think it's kinda cool.

Stay tuned for some more later tonight.

astronaut.jpg
  • woods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that astronaut is awesome. Reminds me of this kind of, but not really: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/wight.html
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Anway, did a quick study of #1. The story in my head is that he was an astronaut on an exploratory mission that went wrong and essentially left him for dead but with life support. Somewhere/somehow along the way he transcended and is now this beastly thing that returns when he senses the demon-portals opening. I think it's kinda cool.

mad props for something fresh and unconventional. Those things never win in dom war though unfortunately :P
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    @woods-- that's what my concept would look like if it were awesome :D I'm actually pretty familiar with Keith Thompson's work; he's been a big inspiration for me for a while. His Apollonian Wight probably had some influence on this idea while floating around somewhere in my subconscious.

@coldkodiak-- thanks for the props; nice thing about my chances being slim to none as is means I don't have to worry about it :)
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Been a long while-- hopefully next week I'll be able to really sit down and crank out some work. Anyway, here's an idea I had for a female commando-type character. I think I need to dirty her up a bit more and make the left side armor look more makeshift, but I like the idea. Here:

concept5.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Last one before bed. Did this one more as a mood piece than as a concept, though I might explore it further. I definitely like how the helmet turned out, though I'm not entirely sure what that actually looks like...

concept6.jpg

also, can you tell which colors I like to use? :)