Home Technical Talk

Best PC specs?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
I just accepted some mid to long-term contract work and it's now looking like I need to upgrade my computer...Before I go out and blow my money, what type of specs do you guys have on your machines? I was looking at an Alienware but think they might be over-priced. Here's the primary software I'll be using:

Maya
3dsMax
Zbrush
Photoshop

I mainly need ideas on the best processors, processing speeds and graphic cards to run this stuff. My pc right now handles things okay, but I'm having issues with Maya. I'd rather use 3dsMax but the company I'll be doing work for requires maya files only. Any type of info yall have is much appreciated :)

Replies

• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    you for sure want to build your self, alienware is a rip off, for the comparisons, go to www.tomshardware.com they have cpu and gpu comparison charts
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    NyneDown wrote: »
    I just accepted some mid to long-term contract work and it's now looking like I need to upgrade my computer...Before I go out and blow my money, what type of specs do you guys have on your machines? I was looking at an Alienware but think they might be over-priced. Here's the primary software I'll be using:

Maya
    3dsMax
    Zbrush
    Photoshop

I mainly need ideas on the best processors, processing speeds and graphic cards to run this stuff. My pc right now handles things okay, but I'm having issues with Maya. I'd rather use 3dsMax but the company I'll be doing work for requires maya files only. Any type of info yall have is much appreciated :)

Call Dell and get an XPS 730x with an extended warranty and you will be jas happy as a pig in mud. Its the exact same thing as an alien ware but you are not paying an arm and a leg for a cool name. I know that Dell does mark up their parts a bit but I think its totally worth it as Dell has replaced my PC 3 times since I originally got it and each time the PC is better than the one before and I usally got my PC the next day, thats right they overnight stuff to you if you demand it.

I know that some people have horror stories about Dell but their high end computers are really well built and if I ever want to get a new graphic card or new ram or anything else for I can just take my old part out and put the new one in, no needing special Dell only parts. You could build your own and it would most likely be cheaper but if something breaks and you dont have the cash to replace it right away your SOL with a Dell it does not matter they will send you the part no questiosn asked.

Atleast check them out before you make your final decission also look at www.slickdeals.com, this site has some killer deals and usally you can find coupons for Dell that give you 20% off and things like that.
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    If you can build it yourself, piece it out yourself. If not, for zbrush purposes, anything more than 4GB of RAM wont really help that much. Zbrush is a 32 bit program so even running it in windows XP 64 bit wont improve it that much.

Graphics cards are not as much an issue within 3D programs nowadays I find. Most will do the job well, as long as it's not a $50 card or onboard graphics!

Dude, if you can, stay away from Alienware. They just box up the same parts in their ugly cases and charge a fortune for it.

Why not check out a company like newegg? NCIX?
    They have prebuilt systems for much cheaper.

Or go with Dell.. i think it's a better choice than Alienware :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    if you dont mind building your pc you can get a mid to high range pc at a good cost
    heres a box Im currently building. + a cpu cooler £17 and vista 64 for £90

I bought from scan.co.uk Ive spent a couple of hours building it so far and Ive just gotta put in the dvd drive and connect all the wires and Im good to go install the os.

http://www.gd3dart.com/images/new_pc.jpg
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Get an i7 intel processor. Massive improvement over the core 2 quads. Asus p6t is a pretty sweet mobo to run that setup. 6 gigs ddr3 minimum, terrabyte drive at the least. Whatever graphics card floats your boat.
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, all. First post here. Be gentle, please.

Going to second that i7 suggestion. Tom's Hardware reports that, for the most part, the cheapest i7 beats out the most expensive Core2Extreme in terms of performance. You might have issues picking a mobo, however, as there really aren't that many yet which support the 1336 socket. If you can afford it, Asus is pretty much the way to go.

As for the video card, I don't know what else you want to use it for, but as long as you're not trying to run Crysis, I think a 9800 GTX G92 would suit you just fine. It's nice and cheap and everyone who bought one really seems to like it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

If you want a little more bang for your buck, a Core 216 GTX 260 (ranging from the SC to SSC variety) will do the trick just nicely. As a personal recommendation, you can't go wrong with EVGA. Lifetime warranties and step-up programs FTW!

Also, many of those factory overclocked 260's actually beat out most GTX 280's. You don't need a 285, and especially not a beastly, power-hungry, thermal beast like the 295. Not unless you've got money to burn and are a die-hard enthusiast.

If you're really feeling lucky, you might even try going for a workstation card. If you've got $800 to blow for a pci express 2.0 x16 card, go for a QuadroFX3700. That's the card they use for the design computers at my alma matter, and most everyone finds them amazing.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ryno wrote: »
    Get an i7 intel processor. Massive improvement over the core 2 quads.

Sure about that? A friend just compared his Super Pi 1M scores (good for quick comparing) of his i7 920 with my overclocked Q9550 and I'm like only a fraction slower than him ? Maybe I should test a more applicable thing like rendering one of his scenes.
  • |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Sure about that? A friend just compared his Super Pi 1M scores (good for quick comparing) of his i7 920 with my overclocked Q9550 and I'm like only a fraction slower than him ? Maybe I should test a more applicable thing like rendering one of his scenes.

Also depends if the application your are testing on performs better/ makes use of the additional cores that the i7 has.