Home General Discussion

THQ Shuts Down 3 More Studios...YIKES!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Good Luck to all the Guys affected. Scary times for sure.
http://kotaku.com/5172692/thq-cuts-down-big-huge-games-lets-go-two-more

Update: An Incinerator Studios employee contacted us to add clarification to THQ's official announcement, writing that the developer will be "under contract with THQ to complete both our current projects" adding that "All THQ Incinerator employees are being offered a position with the new studio." He implied the same was true for fellow studio Heavy Iron, noting that he was "not sure if they are retaining all employees."

I guess that's better than nothing.

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Well, good luck to those affected. It goes without saying that this sucks balls.

Personally, i did a bit of work for BHG and really REALLY enjoyed it. I was eagerly waiting to see what they would do and, hopefully, something good comes out of it.
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'll have to start praying for Relic to come through this all unscathed. :(
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Yea THQ is not looking good at all, I was let go from under THQ nearly a year ago as part of my studio closure...even when I worked there 06-08 the stock was constantly falling. I really Hope all those effected bounce back as quickly as possible.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    THQ is the 2009 Midway. Just wait.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    wow... remember that studio heads video with a guy from big huge games saying when THQ was closing down studios left and right they weren't worried in the least? i thought that was such total BS and now look... bhg is due to close...
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    wow... remember that studio heads video with a guy from big huge games saying when THQ was closing down studios left and right they weren't worried in the least? i thought that was such total BS and now look... bhg is due to close...

I totally remember that, and thought the same thing.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    scary, good luck guys.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Gav wrote: »
    Well, good luck to those affected. It goes without saying that this sucks balls.

Personally, i did a bit of work for BHG and really REALLY enjoyed it. I was eagerly waiting to see what they would do and, hopefully, something good comes out of it.

Same here I did some work for them about a year ago.
    I hope the game sees the light of day and the people there all land on their feet.
    B
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who didn't get the memo!? I thought we where done with this, I thought everyone trimmed the fat and set their budgets for this year and we were moving forward.

I can't wait until we're out of the first quarter of 09...

Sorry to hear about the loss, I hope everyone lands on their feet.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear it.

Anyone know if Rainbow Studios has been affected? I have a friend there I haven't been able to contact to see if he's ok.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    HellMark wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it.

Anyone know if Rainbow Studios has been affected? I have a friend there I haven't been able to contact to see if he's ok.

As far as I know, Rainbow Studios is one of THQ's darling studios, their Pixar games sold a lot. Volition and Relic are the other big two for THQ, so hopefully those studios are secure, but who knows these days :(. I hope Vigil keeps going because I don't want to see Darksiders become yet another awesome looking canceled game.

Really I hope things turn around for THQ, or maybe they merge with another publisher, SOMETHING to stop hemorrhaging talented folks. I hope the industry and the world economy in general emerges a lot stronger after this whole recession.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the update ebagg.

Really looking forward to Darksiders myself so I hope they'll be ok too.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That sucks, I interned at Heavy Iron...
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Thankfully Kaos studios is still going strong. I have so many friends who work there and would hate to see anything unfortunate happen!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    Really I hope things turn around for THQ, or maybe they merge with another publisher, SOMETHING to stop hemorrhaging talented folks. I hope the industry and the world economy in general emerges a lot stronger after this whole recession.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that. All the best to anyone that's been affected by this, I hope you all manage to get out of it alright.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hope my friends at relic are safe. THQ.. man. not so good.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Truth is, we're not done yet. More game companies are going to be affected. Some companies, like their employee's, are paycheck to paycheck (game to game).

The good thing that can come from all of this would be people going out on their own and come up with a new product. And hopefully they leave investors out of it.
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I would've never thought BHG could go down. I have to stop reading all these grim stories cause they're making me anxious and depressed.

Through some ridiculous stroke of luck i landed a contract with a company developing casual games. Cheap small titles seem to be slightly more secure right now than big AAA games. The work is pretty unexciting but I'm keeping my mouth shut about any complaints i might have.

My contract ends in June and I am not looking forward to what's going to happen after that. My only advantage is that I can survive on a low salary and can underbid competitors. Even still, girlfriend doesn't like cheap restaurants so I can't go that low.

Is there a reason why companies who go under don't update their websites accordingly. I mean some of these places have huge giant links right on the front page saying "WE ARE HIRING", and then you read news on some site that they're having massive lay-offs. You don't know who to trust these days.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Ugh. Nice headline to see as I'm looking for jobs while trying to get through to the unemployment call center(I seriously think they employ exactly 2 people who alternate between smoke breaks). I think I was actually looking at a job page with one of these places earlier, good to know to not bother.

This is (not just this news, but the state of things as a whole) some bullshit. I feel like a broken record at this point, but best of luck to all those affected.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It's very sad seeing talented studios shut down like this.

:(

GL to all affected. I hope you all land on your feet.

Hoping Relic is left unscathed, I have a few friends there.

>_<
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    GAH wtf.
    Sorry to those that are affected, hope all goes well for you.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    theme? monster company buys up all good small studios. monster company sucks ass and shuts down studios?!?
    haven't i heard this before?. . . .i call corporate bs on everything!!!
    seriously though, damn shame.