Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - mikezoo

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
Wow. Iam totally stoked about this, as its my first DW ever! Looking around you can see that theres deffentley aLOT of talent on polycount. Its going to be a wild ride to keep up.

So, been playing around with shapes/ideas and Iam pretty set on what class i want to go with: Demonic Abomination.
I ve been playing around with zbrush for a good year or so now, and I really want to sculpt some crazy muscles on this dude. Hard-core male anaomty is challange and I want to push myself and learn a lot with this character.

So here a my doodles for the day. Not yet happy with what I got going, and Iam going to keep pushing it..... in some direction:)

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept01-1.jpg

Iam going to keep designing untill thursday or friday. Then I iam going into max.

rock on PC.:thumbup:

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I've noticed is that all your thumbnails look really similar. All the proportions are almost identical and the silhouettes are very similar that it almost defeats the purpose of doing thumbnails.

You need to just go crazy during this stage. Try every thing that pops into you head, because it seems like you've got one idea in there at the moment and you don't seem to be steering too far from it.

What you've got so far isn't too bad, but I know if you just cleared your head and just started randomly sketching without restricting yourself, you're bound to come up with some stronger ideas and you'll be happier for it.

Good luck with your entry, dude.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Casey is totally right. Thnx for the kick in the arse.:) I needed to clear my head. And i did.

Round 2! Go!

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept02.jpg

more on the way!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's what im fucking talking about, dude! The new thumbs are tonnes better, so much variety in there, everything is quick and simple and it doesn't look like you've spent too long on any of them, but have enough form and detail in there to help you take them further if you so wished.

Nothing more from me, because you're heading in the right direction.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some i did this morning before class, but the server was down.

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept03.jpg

Nothings jumping at me so far, so i going to keep doodling.

There's a lot of great ideas going around the forums. Its alot of fun to watch!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put a lil bit more detail into this one. I really like the idea, of this hulkish demon with crazy bits of armor growing out of his body. Even fabric areas would be flesh that's molded from his body.

eh. who knows. I would like to get modeling by this weekend though.

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept04.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    awwwww sad demon :P lookin' cool, and I like the idea. A flesh cape could be pretty sick.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. Good proportions and I like the design of the legs and feet
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am having a hell of time trying to figure out some cool head designs. Here' one other idea for almost the same body-type of character. I am trying to get a McFarlin look going on.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept05.jpg

I think the concept is more of a demon prince. Any crits would be great. I don't know, if this is a direction I should adventure down, or perhaps just start anew and go back to the drawing board.

Think Iam going to take off and go see 'Watchmen'.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey I'm digging this and actually I really like the head designs. Still, I did some stuff to maybe inspire you, I hope you don't mind!

demon_heads.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh man, that is some sick stuff! I gotta learn how to render like that!:)

Deffently saved in my inspiration folder, Thanks a bunch pestibug! Iam keep sketching.
  • Boojeah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool concept, i like the tenticle things on the first one's face and how the eyes are sunk in. not so much the neck tho, its cool but seems a bit out of place to me. The last concept there looks pretty sweet
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what we got here after I made a new head. After seeing the Watchmen, I really wanted to add some mental abilitys to this dude. Large demon prince, with super destruct-o-telekinesis powers, that get channeled through his huge arms.

Right now his body type seems, uhh. Generic? I don't know. I've been having trouble coming up with anything that really breaks the mold.

If you guys have any ideas/suggestions that would be great. Otherwise, iam just going to keep sketching some new ideas till saturday, then finally stick to something and start blocking out in 3d.

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept06.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I went back today, and doodled up a bunch of thumbnails. I only numbered the ones I thought were worth thinking about.
    Funny how I keep re-doodling similar designs of my previous idea. For some reason it keeps sticking in my brain.

Anywhoo, going to keep trying to think of something anew tonight. Thanks guys!

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept07.jpg

m_svymbersky_DWIVconcept06-1.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Glad you like the heads! And I have to say I really dig your latest rendition of your character.
    His body might be generic, true, but that means you'd have to make up for it by pure awesome modelling/sculpting and details. But, a generic body in itself is not perse a bad thing!

Now the new thumbs, I'm always for pushing weirdness, and talk about a change of direction. Awesome ideas here!

so my favs: 7, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17

Not really much of a pin pointer, i know :) But somehow, although not the most unusual, nr 17 jumped at me on the 1st look. So, I guess nr 17 would get my final vote.

Could be a really interesting character, just be careful it doesn't turn out to be a skeksis!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i am pretty sure what direction Iam heading in.

Throwing up some silhouettes that I blocked together, Both are the same concept, with two minor differences to the silhouette:
    1.) Possible Horn thing in the middle of his forehead,
    2.) Possible Leather fabric, draping from hips to knees.

testConcept_01.gif

testConcept_02.gif

Most likely, this could change up some more, but it would be great to hear any thoughts, good or bad! Let me hear em! Open to any and all suggestions! :)

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I like #2 better, the front horn doesn't seem to add a lot. Love the forearms :)
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea I also like the bottom one better of those 2. good stuff
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    srry guys, had to throw one more up, that i like:

testConcept_03.gif
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I'm a big fan of head plates, so yea, I like the latest one better than the previous two.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anywhoo, Ive settled on my character, Norm, Invoker.

Hes a large brawler, with the ability's of physically manipulating himself, and his surroundings. He has short range telepathic and telekinetic capabilities and has limited control over the structure of his body; He can alter his form to limited extents. Mostly by producing an organic-like body armor, which is how iam trying designing him. Armored up ready to smash stuff.

My roommate persuaded me into adding the Shell/Armor design which, I quite like now that i blocked it in. Design-wise, iam just sculpting my ideas in zbrush and then Iam planing to reTopo over it and sculpt away. So this is more of a, say proof of concept idea, I guess? Iam more than comfortable with changes, so any ideas or hate, please tear into it.

msvymbersky_DWideas2.jpg

msvymbersky_DWideas.jpg
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    I quite like your sculpt, only criticism is that the upper shell thing goes a tad too high with that bulge at the top, it makes it too vertical imo. The details look really nice and organic though, and consistent throughout the design. The most recent sketches look great the bottom two are my favs.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schools been busy.

quick little update on my sculpting progress. :)

msvymbersky_DWIV_wip.jpg

yay.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates!

So far the face is the most complete piece done, but I need to spend my time wisely and move on other areas of the body.

mikesvymbersky_DWIVWIP_hed.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would post an update on my upper torso. Mostly finished, minus some key spots I gotta clean up. Gotta hurry up so I can start texturing this week. ack. time is a slipping by.:)

mikesvymbersky_DWIVWIP_uppertorsoHi.jpg
  • Jeff MD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovely design and great detailing you have there! looking forward with texture part.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished baking maps, so here's a wip on the normal/AO map. Might do another pass to try and squeeze out some more detail, but highly doubt it. I want to start texturing & posing, as its what iam looking the most foreword too. and time is short. oh no!:\

DWIVmikesvymbersky_bake.jpg
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sexy bake. looking very good. Cant wait to see some texturing. Bulls Win!!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    this bake is quite rad indeed. time to feel the burn! texture maps guuuu!!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For real. This guy is lacking w/ his magical weapon. I had intended it to be his shell/armor, but that no longer reads as a separate thing that could grant him his ability's. As an invoker his use's magic to crush fools, and then in close-quarters use his strength to lay a beating out.

The thought to add a battle spear to him crossed my mind. to help him take down foes. and grant him additional power?

But is it worth it this late in the game to do it? I don't believe it would take me too long at all.

Any ideas?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Mike, the character is looking great so far. I would say if you think you can pull off making a weapon then go for it, because it would make him just that much more of a bad ass. But to be safe maybe just finish this guy up then go back to a weapon if you have the time.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice nrek. iam going to try my hardest to pull one off today. I really think I can. Soooo I am going for it..

shit. :)

*edit-- nawww. I really want to start texturing, and I don't have the time. Iam sad, makes me less of a man. j/k
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a quicky paintover to find some base colors. Trying to come up with a color scheme.

msvymbersky_paintover.jpg

Iam fairly certain that this is the direction i want to go in. I have one more Idea to paint out before I commit. Any ideas/suggestions/hate please let me know! iam dying for feedback, as iam always a bit shaky when it comes to texturing.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very desatured colours all over, maybe add some subtle hints of more interesting colourful tones in there
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffuse WIP. Playing around trying to find the right colors. Totally work in progress atm, but any crits, ideas or hate, please let me know! The sooner I can get the feedback, hopefully the quicker I can fix it!

DWIVmikesvymbersky_DiffusePlay.jpg

thanks guys!
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    comin along well, i would recomend bringing in another color, amybe a red, then the green wil act as more of an accent against teh red/brown/yellow, aditionally i would pull the toes back in alittle, they lack altittle definition, and will make a more solid foot shape,,,good stuff
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice meshiah.
    I would love to add another color, blue or red, but I just cant seem to find a place for them. Almost anywhere I thrown additional new colors on, totally make it a mess for the eyes to read. Iam still trying though. :) arrgg!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I reckon maybe bring in a reddy orangy colour and use it as a gradient? really nice details and sculpting in this so it would be good to accentuate that. he reminds me of the dark crystal, maybe theres some inspiration in that http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&sa=1&q=the+dark+crystal&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

heres a quick colourful paintover. I think your models gonna look great when the specular is on it, cant really show that in a paintover
    mikes_Dwiv.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh. Great idea ged. I think, iam starting to see, what you guys are talking about.:)

many thanks.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah that image was way too bright cause the sun was in my face lol but you get the idea, subtle hints of other colours in the same sort of palette is always helpful, you can always use things like adobe kuler to get some ideas on possible additions to the characters colour scheme http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah nice ged. Your ever so helpful! funny enough, another person sent me to a similar site. http://colorschemedesigner.com/#

Pretty much the exact same thing. I love these helpers. Wish I knew about them earlier. Totally beats looking my dusty Color Theory workbook. lol
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diffuse+spec update. I think I pushed the colors more in the direction that was recommended to me. I changed his cloth too, because I felt from a distance, it just wasn't readable. I am trying to decide if he needs more magic effect-shit on his forearms. Any love/hate let me know!

DWIVmikesvymbersky_update3.jpg

oh hamburgers...
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    Hey mikezoo, cool looking dude. As far as the magic_effect stuff on his arms I feel less could be more. The green works on the big holes but I'm not sure about the green in the cracks. Anyhoo he's looking great and I really like that gradient shift from bottom to top. :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good! I think rory M is right how about just having the green glow around some key areas and making all the rest look like natural holes?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i threw down a pedestal in my spare time. Here's a "what-I-think-my" beauty shot will look like image. Don't have time for anything too fancy, so I am just trying to figure it out.

MikeSvymberskyWIPbeautyShot.jpg

I still have to implement some suggestions (texture tweaks,) on this guy, but I feel like he's 90% of the way there.

One thing Iam unsure of is when I was posing him in zbrush, I couldn't avoid texturing stretching on him upper arm. I dig the pose, but Iam not sure if the texture streching in such an obvious spot, detracts from the model. If the texture streching is that bad, iam going to have to move his arm into more of a T-pose postion. I dont know whats worth it more. Better pose, or no streching?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this up last night. Sooo happy to be done. It was a wild & fun ride and I definitely learned alot. Great experience, and many thanks to everyone who gave me some killer feedback. Its amazing what other people can point out that you easily miss.

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_BS.jpg

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_PS.jpg

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_CS.jpg

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_C.jpg

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_TS.jpg

MikeSvymbersky_DWIV_T.jpg

It's amazing to see all the crazy talent when browsing the forums. definitely intimidating, but also totally inspirational.:thumbup:
  • javier.deandres
    Great concept and texture work
    Congrats!!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Good job man!

Congrats on finishing.