Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Valandar

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
No concepts yet - and I'm not even going to decide Norm / Machine / Demon until I have some thumbnails to choose from.

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, had an idea, and I''ll sketch out some concepts tomorrow for it:

Imagine a Daemon Prince(ss), that decides (s)he will attempt to infiltrate humanoid society in order to spy on them, and find the best places to attack. How does (s)he do this?

By masquerading as a cheerleader for their sporting events!

Unfortunately... said daemon has absolutely no idea what it really means to look like a female human besides "One torso, one head, two arms, two legs, and boobs"...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's my initial concept... As it's not an assignment, I might end up varying a good bit from this, but it gets my basic idea on "paper", as it were...

odxb2dttv66ksn8utwvps6qgoplizw-full.jpg

The waving weird yellowish things at the ends of her wrists are demonic matter trying to replicate pom-poms. :D
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Haha I think she will be spotted!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, got the basic geometry down, other than the teeth, horns, and fiery pom poms.

I decided that "her" pompoms would actually be balls of fire or energy or something, rather than tentacles waving. I also decided to drop the ears, as I didn't like how they looked.

Meanwhile, I have plenty of polys to work with and insert into the figure to smooth out any sharp edges, plus add for "her" outfit and fireballs and stuff - the current triangle count is right about 3300.

79ttlc7vi8eny9kw33jb9woycu84kx-full.jpg

And a wire shot:

ndpnnzq3ynfuyd53tgxnd4hn6iznad-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay... I'm either going to completely trash this and rebuild it, or start over with another concept. Would the current concept be worth saving, or should I start over from scratch?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    hmm... Demon cheerleader?

Well it depends if you wanna go serious or i you wanna go cartoony? If cartoony i say keep it, otherwise id say trash it :).

Up to you really though.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the reason I'd trash and rebuild it is that I made it too low poly from the start... adding in a tail, horns, and outfit, it still barely crested 4500 tris.

The reason I'd trash it and come up with something else is that this doesn't seem to have gotten any 'spark' - only one person seemed to find the idea mildly humorous at all, so maybe time to go elsewhere. Us 'not quite there' peeps need to find a concept that GRABS, otherwise we're lost in the flow.

Otherwise... time to whip up some more ideas.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I think its amusing. :) However it could be cool to see you push it much much further than where it is.

Deamon cheerleader could work on a number of levels, but right now the implementation is too straightforward to be really engaging.

You could stick with the humor but push in a good bit of horror too. Cheerleader turned deamon. Cheerleading squad devoured by deamon and asymilated into its appearance. Cheer squad fused together in hell for whatever reason.

Or just a cheering deamon...

I think for this war the more grotesque the interpretation the better.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It definitely has merit. I'd suggest you start with a basic human cheerleader shape and then push the proportions so they're all grotesquely distorted

If you search for Blood Bowl cheerleaders you'll turn up some useful references. Here's one to get you started.
    0901194ns8.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm... I'll see what I can do with some thumbs later, then.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I did you a quick sketch on how I'd approach this (mostly because it sounded like far too much fun not to). I thought of what are the archetypal appealing aspects of a cheerleader (or any generically attractive female) and came up with large breasts and long legs. Now what happens when you design a character with a focus on those aspects but no real knowledge of how large or how long.
    Result:
    valandar.jpg
  • notebookguy
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ROFL, cool. I need to get some "real world" work outta the way, then I'll get back to this. However, I DO think I'm goonna keep the pompoms as elemental energy, not tentacles, simply because tentacles would chew up far too much of my polygon budget.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's a few rough thumbnails. I decided to go for rough proportions and outlines, so the 'pompoms' are just wavy lines, and the cheerleader outfits are pretty much just hinted at...

5tgvstozdbrljesutu2k71exmk0ru2-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I picked the wrong time to post... by the time everyone's up, it's back on Page 3...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, taking a look at suggestions elsewhere, I have taken #2 with a hint of #3 and some other ideas, and put them together. About 40% done with the concept sketch here:

0psc82sf30383s1eax03a6fz3sq18z-full.jpg

Still gotta make the "cheerleading uniform" and shade and color it, but hey...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the final color sketch:

j48yl1e8stedejtxevvdbsioe23l5z-full.jpg

Might make her a blonde, tho...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.

Well.

Umm, here's an early state of the rough cage geometry I'll be building my zbrush model from:

o3geqgl34orfcbdpoxiduiu64250xs-full.jpg

Obviously still got a lot of work left... if anyone besides the few who have already commented even care... apparantly I hit just the wrong spot: Not good enough for detailed crit, but not bad enough for "Dude, you need to trash it all and start over. Start with anatomy..." and the like.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    hm, interesting idea. Looks interesting. Perhaps you could make the head a bit bigger. Other than that though I can't say too much since the goal seems to be grotesque cheerleader. You seem to have a solid idea so go with that and see where it takes you. You can always go back and make changes if it doesn't work how you want it to.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ack sorry I missed, number 4 was awesome too.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the latest update, still working on the hires to sculpt on... gotta add the cheerleading outfit and the pompoms...

...Prolly gonna completely get rid of and re-do the hair...

...And I'm considering having her hooves shoved into the front of a pair of high-heeled shoes, with the back half of the shoes just flopping around.

nbjvs9n2ssd1wbapfol1ty57pzy078-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the latest update, still working on the hires to sculpt on... gotta add the cheerleading outfit and the pompoms...

...Prolly gonna completely get rid of and re-do the hair...

...And I'm considering having her hooves shoved into the front of a pair of high-heeled shoes, with the back half of the shoes just flopping around.

nbjvs9n2ssd1wbapfol1ty57pzy078-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely re-did the hair and finished the outfit, and just now started sculpting.

All parts not yet sculpted on are hidden here:

2dxbyvrfpw3ga5gg1c1qxz3rlm264r-full.jpg

weex29ty2xtduz8wp6g539nd53kh57-full.jpg

0r1h37no7ywfrvuhccwh30v1iplkwq-full.jpg
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Straight from ZBrush, with only the tail left to do (I'm going to mirror the arms and legs):

x51wom0kbvu2c3qpi2fdh8p1ac22is-full.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, Sectaurs, ya want a kiss from those big ol' lips, huh? :D
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And it looks like the sculpting is done... now to make the low poly, and bake lots of maps, and mirror geometry, and add the transmapped planes, and... ugh, will I finish in time?

3f2afa8zpohy7aj5cgmjp3wsqwh4k0-full.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand... the base geometry is done, mapped, and the Normal Map baked. :D I was rather shocked, there was very little I had to clean up, and most of it was in places that would rarely be seen.

tko1nw50ndph40hk6yz9wh2iu5lnjz-full.jpg

Current polycount is 9,235 tris. Next up is the large quads that will be alpha'ed to represent energy cascading down the tentacle hands, which will resemble pom-poms when they curl up. :D
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a vaguely ready Diffuse and Spec will help?

mlz6giopdtzcnqs1ura6hno58qxvzb-full.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Valandar, I really envy your speed and technical skill, that bake turned out great.

The colors aren't doing it for me, definitely try a few more variations, and IMO it isn't necessary to fall into the green uniform thing just because we're black and green. The emblem leaves little doubt as to who she's marching for anyway, and you can still use green as an accent color.

If you're going the blue shell direction, here's a photo I dug up that might make useful reference. Would be great to see this kind of color variation happening on your texture

http://www.edupic.net/Images/Other_Inverts/blue_crab_010.JPG
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll play around with the extremeties and the back shell until I come up with a decent color for it.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which of these carapace modifications looks best, then? And if none of them looks best, which looks closest and what should I do to 'tweak' it? For example, if you like #6 but would prefer it a touch more desaturated and a touch lighter, just say so...

conieeur7o06j7onvn6ph4zpnb1jb4-full.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe that is an unexpected character! for color i'd go in-between 7&3 or 6&2, i think it works better with the green.
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where you going to put the crab or lobster type skin on ? Don't worry about the critiques some are better than others and some find the time I think it is because you have an over the top idea and this wasn't taken seriously because you banged out the idea from start and had no thumbs people like to be involved even if you don't, when you do they don't we are an odd lot and makes the nuances in life a little cynical and slow sometimes for what it is worth I see the position you have taken and it is really a point to be made.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand the next step - went with somewhere in between 1, 2, 5, and 6, and started work on adding the "pom poms" of pure energy:

n2a2orquc8c9zluefu8413phh1yhty-full.jpg

And yes, I know, they'll be green since pompoms are usually the "school colors", this is just a test as I set them up.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    This is coming along nicely, and impressively fast. Are you gonna put some details in the cloth and eyes?
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    what on earth...? LAWL
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gimme a P! Gimme an O! Gimme an L! Gimme a Y! Gimme a C! Gimme an O! Gimme a U! Gimme an N! Gimme a T!

What's that spell?

POLYCOUNT!

...Just don't forget that second "O", or Octomom might file for another copyright or something...

Meanwhile, it's been on the back burner for work reasons, recently got it pretty much rigged. One great thing about how the mouth turned out is it's easy to make it expressive:

xpn8bfnwe460pl93tblma9twfzavfj-full.jpg

Still got work to do on things like the pedastal there, but should be done (barely) by the deadline!