Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first gun

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
Here's a rifle for my advanced game modeling class. The instructor is basically requiring us to do the unearthly challenge, except no teams, with the exact amount of time the teams in the competition get.

but here's my prop of pride. the one thing that's actually coming out.

guns.jpg

Replies

• Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    i like it, though I think the handle and the butt stock are too thin...thicken them up and that might do the trick.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    makes it look flimsy. What's all the mass above and behind the grip for?

/Waits to be attacked by zealots
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Harry wrote: »
    makes it look flimsy. What's all the mass above and behind the grip for?

/Waits to be attacked by zealots

You aren't going to be, that's a design crit, not a GUNS R SRS crit.

Anyway agreed, the weight is all over. The handle and stock are really thin, there are big masses on top of small masses, it makes it look like it's made of cardboard. Use your perspective view, not just your side ortho, and make sure it looks like a real object.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    wester wrote: »
    The instructor is basically requiring us to do the unearthly challenge, except no teams, with the exact amount of time the teams in the competition get.

Do I sense someone whining??

What does the gun have to do with your unearthly assignment???
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    oobersli wrote: »
    Do I sense someone whining??

What does the gun have to do with your unearthly assignment???

the gun is a prop in my unearthly challenge.

i just think it's abit hefty of a workload.....unrealistic even.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    plenty of people entered the unearthly challenge with no teammates. Peris was alone and he got first place!

If you think that's a hefty workload you might want to consider an alternate career...

Looks like there's some funky normal mapping errors going on with the gun, the bottom of the stock being the worst of it. The design is pretty boxy and generic. Try taking some renders of it from a first person view to get a better understanding of where you need to add more interesting shapes and details.
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice designs, I got some pointers to help you make it look even better.

What's vital for any tool/product used my humanity is the ergonomics. Make sure in this is a gun that'll work in the real world. The handle needs a hand grip and the stock looks too narrow to fit comfortably in a shoulder, both can be fixed easily.

The trend is with modern AAA games is to add a unrealistic amount of detail. Look at as many real guns as you can possible find on google. Try to figure out how they work and are assembled.

In design, one philosophy is form follows function. This is rarely practiced in gun designs in games, artists focus more on making them look cool, which is all well and good, but if games are to be taken seriously added realism is required in my view.

Add some seam lines and screw holes as well as dirt, scratches, think about how the metal is casted. I look like typical gun designs are stamp pressed, so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps