Home Technical Talk

How do you model? - Time lapse references

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys and gals,
I'm in the middle of defining some new modeling tools for 3ds Max, and directly looking at how people work is very inspiring, allowing to spot what are most used commands, features, or repeated series of actions. I try to figure out how to make the process faster and hopefully better by developing missing tools or sets.

I'm looking for links to polygonal (NOT ZBrush/Mudbox) modeling time lapses in any 3D software, of any kind of model being organic or hard-surfaces, low- or high-poly.

YouTube and Google can provide a vast number of examples, but that's not quite what I need. Everyone can record a crappy time lapse and put it online. I'd like to find worthy ones, like those made by you polycounters, or someone you regard with esteem.

An example I hold dear is this quite old video, one of the very first time lapses I guess, by Irfan Celik modeling a head in 3ds Max 4 with Laszlo Sebo's Meshtools.
http://irfan-celik.blogspot.com/2008/03/tutorial.html

And the whole series of Martin Krol's time lapses of his modeling in Mirai. (YouTube it, as they don't seem to be on his website anymore)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=martin+krol+mirai

Thank you for your time and help.

Replies

• jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    I thought this one was pretty cool
    http://www.vimeo.com/2879397
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey is that blender in that fly video? Interface is looking nice! Not at all like I remember it from last year or so!
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Thats Blender alright. Looks like hes using the 'rounded' UI theme.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah it's just using a darker theme. Otherwise it looks the same as it's been for awhile. I keep my button pages running down the side of the screen as well, as opposed to the default horizontal layout.
    The transparent panels = mac though I think? I don't recall being able to do that on my pc. I've been using it only on my mac lately though.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    Here's one of mine; still not finished with the model, I've been posting the wip and timelapse on threedy's boards.

http://jeremywynn.com/video/video.html
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    @ jrs100000: very nice time lapse references, that's like what I'm looking for.

@ segreto: thanks for your effort, I like your work very much, and I find it valuable because don't have experience in mechanical modeling. If you plan to go on with videos, could you please increase compression quality a bit? If it doesn't make the file huge of course. I'm glad you use IllusionCatalyst and advertised it on Threedy Forums. If you don't mind, I'll bother you for some feedback in the future. :)
    (Do you know that your nick means "secret" in italian language?)
  • Blaizer
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    Hey is that blender in that fly video? Interface is looking nice! Not at all like I remember it from last year or so!
    Blender has looked like that for years.
    jrs100000 wrote: »
    Thats Blender alright. Looks like hes using the 'rounded' UI theme.
    That's not the rounded theme, it has more contrast. Looks a lot better. I always try to use that one and it's too faded on my monitor. I hate the default one too.

Modeling in perspective as opposed to ortho seems to get better results? I was starting to think it was what was causing me so much problems with figure modeling. Watching that fly come together in perspective seems much more natural.
  • Segreto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Segreto polycount sponsor
    SyncViewS: Thanks, glad you liked it. Once I'm done with the modeling on the gun I'm going to break up the video in a few sections and slow it down a bit so its easier to watch. I'll definitely get the quality a bit higher as well. :)

I really enjoy using IC btw, it's been really handy. I especially like the IC.shape tools. So much better than Max's standard brush tool!

Yeah, lol when I was younger I was looking through an Italian-English dictionary and saw the word.. been using it since on various forums.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    pior wrote: »

he shows how to make it look like that here if your interested:
    http://www.vimeo.com/2389416
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Haha yeah Daark I must be dumb, that huge bottom stack of buttons was definitely here in that video !!! ;) Cmon you see what I mean.
    And to answer your question yes modeling in perspective has huge advantages.

Polyhertz that seems interesting! I don't think I can make much out of the video tho as it is quite obscure to someone not familiar with the app I think. But yes i seems quite flexible!

Is there a text transcript somewhere? Or even better, some kind of basics tutorial covering the core Blender polygon modeling toolset? It would be nice if an enthusiast could compile a lightweight build of the program with just such core tools, sculpting tools aswell, and nothing else! Like making a Silo out of Blender.

I've always been curious about this weird Blender best in the past it never 'did it' for me...
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    That would be kinda neat... I suspect with the new UI changes there might be a bit more flexibility in creating custom layouts etc that would focus more on stuff like modeling/sculpting together. I think you can do some of that even now... though it will probably be a lot sweeter after 2.5. Blender is such a 'light' app as far as footprint goes, even though it is a fully loaded studio in a box like max, maya, etc. I'll definitely be experimenting with custom configs as I spend more time with it.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    my stupid blender timelapses. Since I used Fraps to capture it didn't catch the popup menus like W and space etc. It also skips past my 'thinking processes' capturing only changes of the Blender window. :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5ce_AjjWI[/ame]

(this one has really stupid annotations intended for a quake tutorial)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLI6haqwAw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgnRlYCBqU[/ame]

i should note i wasn't serious in any of these videos (i.e. horrid uvs) but it does demonstrate my workflow with Blender. This is not how you should model or skin ever.
  • Ben_Flex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Flex polycounter lvl 14
    Hello all i love the Jeremy Wynn timelaps video, that's excatly what i am looking for!

As pior talked about blender; I am currently reading an great tutorial about Blender modeling edge loops and poles. This one review many of the interesting poly tools we use in blender.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93651
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Not sure to see the point of that page really! It's like brainfart art theory, but applied to topology haha. Don't think it is *that* useful really...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    nah, and a lot of it seems to be entirely personal experience and choice anyway, i'd have done a lot of those things differently or just ignored a large chunk of it...
    also his models don't look very good, i'd tend to avoid things like that where it's a huge chunk of theory with no real practical applications shown...
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    A lot of it was taken from someartist's thread on subdivisionmodeling.com

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    you might like this one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd7-aYP8Y0g[/ame]

shows max and silo side by side.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that video is pretty bad, the only thing it shows is someone that doesnt seem to grasp some modeling fundamentals , and also looses 1 whole minute in something he could have done in 6 seconds in mas AND silo. boo fail.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    that video is pretty bad, the only thing it shows is someone that doesnt seem to grasp some modeling fundamentals , and also looses 1 whole minute in something he could have done in 6 seconds in mas AND silo. boo fail.

show how you woulda done it ;)
    thats what this threads all about.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i put this here?
    http://www.dejawolf.com/UVmapping.avi

its me UVmapping. 23 minutes of it. in DivX format.
  • Ben_Flex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Flex polycounter lvl 14
    damn! I thought i had found the ultimate secret of modelling science, i ll have to search again!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    can i put this here?
    http://www.dejawolf.com/UVmapping.avi

its me UVmapping. 23 minutes of it. in DivX format.
    A little off topic but:
    - Select by Planar Angle could cut down on a lot of the tedious selections.
    - Assigning matID's as you model can also be helpful in isolating mechanical pieces while unwrapping. It also comes in handy because you can hide/show based on matID.
    - You spent a bit of time finding, sorting and scaling pieces. Starting off with better grouping in the beginning could cut that time down, along with MoP's normalize script, which was rolled into Renderhjs TexTools.
    - You could probably select a matID group, apply box and move it off to one area, and do the rest for the others. Keeping them grouped would also allow you to more quickly arrange the pieces in a more ordered state, which would be easier to paint on.
    - Not sure why you switched to UVWMap just to do a planar operation? When working in UnwrapUVW you can scale the Planar gizmo the same way.
    - I noticed you pulled up pelt to relax (might have missed something else there)? Why not use standard relax from the tools menu? I have it bound to R I use it so much.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    MattW wrote: »
    A lot of it was taken from someartist's thread on subdivisionmodeling.com

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907

Great SubD info on this site. I never knew anything about N and E poles. CT, XT, etc.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    A little off topic but:
    - Select by Planar Angle could cut down on a lot of the tedious selections.

well, it tend to not be very reliable in editable poly mode, (it selects faces on other elements)
    so i generally just tend to forget about it in unwrap UVW.
    i'll try to remember it though.
    - Assigning matID's as you model can also be helpful in isolating mechanical pieces while unwrapping. It also comes in handy because you can hide/show based on matID.

thanks! thats very useful, i'll try and do that.
    - You spent a bit of time finding, sorting and scaling pieces. Starting off with better grouping in the beginning could cut that time down, along with MoP's normalize script, which was rolled into Renderhjs TexTools.

afaik, RenderHJS's plugin is on on max9.
    i'm on max 8, so nogo. upgrade will cut me short another 4600€ (yeah, max is even more insanely expensive in europe)
    - You could probably select a matID group, apply box and move it off to one area, and do the rest for the others. Keeping them grouped would also allow you to more quickly arrange the pieces in a more ordered state, which would be easier to paint on.

right. didn't know about the matID trick, so i'll try and keep the mirrored parts on a separate ID and pack the rest. manual packing is a pain....
    - Not sure why you switched to UVWMap just to do a planar operation? When working in UnwrapUVW you can scale the Planar gizmo the same way.

anal retentive perfectionism. my eyes start to swim when i try to scale by eye, so i just type in
    a square value into length and width in UVW unwrap, and i know the circles won't be oval when i start texturing.
    plus UVW mapping has a normal align to face feature.
    i'd love to see those tools in the UVW unwrap though.
    - I noticed you pulled up pelt to relax (might have missed something else there)? Why not use standard relax from the tools menu? I have it bound to R I use it so much.
    [/QUOTE]

actually, its the same reason as above, anal retentive perfectionism.
    i figured out that applying the pelt map modifier to the piece will create a perfectly square UVW,
    so its sort of a shortcut instead of using the UVW map. but it still doesn't have the normal align.
    relax is great in most cases, although if you have a flat plate that you just planar-mapped,
    it'll just bork up the whole UV. same if the UV is mirrored. it goes bork.
    i have relax assigned to E btw. R is for unfold ;) then there's shift-S and alt-S for the stitch operations.
    most of max tools are great imo, its just that they're poorly streamlined, and all over the place.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Great SubD info on this site. I never knew anything about N and E poles. CT, XT, etc.

They're all terms borrowed from NURBS.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    not modelling but sculpting, my latest speedie done in zbrush
    http://vimeo.com/5718097
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Absolutely gorgeous Neox, thanks for sharing
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afaik, RenderHJS's plugin is on on max9.
    i'm on max 8, so nogo.
    That's a bummer, might want to give MoPs Normalize script a try it started out compatible with 8+.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52415
    plus UVW mapping has a normal align to face feature.
    i'd love to see those tools in the UVW unwrap though.
    I agree, align to face would be handy. In 9 or maybe 2008 they added a "quick planar map" button that does roughly that. Super effective. Before that I think it was a script, might want to search script spot, I forget what it was named... might have been part of soulburn scripts, or James Haywood tools? Maybe Paul Hormis... or maybe pen tools... bahh its out there somewhere.
    relax is great in most cases, although if you have a flat plate that you just planar-mapped,
    it'll just bork up the whole UV. same if the UV is mirrored. it goes bork.
    Yea drove me nuts for a long time too. If it freaks out, flip it and it should relax fine. It attempts to flip pieces that are inverted (wrong reading). Select > Select Inverted, whatever it highlights should be flipped before being relaxed. You can flip it back again afterward.

The random relax freak out, more or less stopped being an issue for me. When I started grouping things and running a quick box map or planar map on the group that way they all start right reading and there is less chance for something to be flipped.

When you do a planar in Unwrap UVW the local Z axis should face the same way the normal does, out into space not in toward the model. if it faces in it is creating a inverted piece which will attempt to flip on relax.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Neox, that's great! You make sculpting look easy. Too bad it isn't :( ... heh