Home Technical Talk

3ds max .ini bash

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
this has been a minor annoyance for me for a few years now, and i finally found a solution!

spinner snap just hasn't worked. and i live in europe. so i naturally use metric units.
i figured it was broken since i couldn't get it to snap properly, but it seems like it works. with generic units, and with inches.
but i wanted it to work with meters centimeters and millimeters.
so i started experimenting, and whoohah! i figured out how to make it snap to 1mm at a time, with
base unit of inches.

so heres how:

in the ini file, there's these settings:

[SpinnerPrecision]
SpinnerSnap=0.0393701
SpinnerDecimals=1
UseSnap=1

basically set the settings to this, and the spinners will snap to 1mm when you click on the spinner arrows. it still won't work for when you drag the spinner though.

now to see if there's some way to adjust the default scale of the unfold map..

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hmmmh.

apparently this is one generic max unit in the UVW map editor, or 25.4 millimeters.

onegenericmaxunit.jpg

that little dot there in the center is the UVW plane.
    i might be able to change this if i can change the "real world map scale"
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    as far as I know mentalRay (company in berlin germany) works internally with the metric system (like many other physic based simulations), the people behind 3dsmax are living in canada and even there metrics are default:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada
    if I am not mistaken some mentalRay materials specificly ask for metric units like SSS thickness and others.

When it comes to game engines generic units are nayway the way to go because all this unit conversion hassle only happens if you work on a unit translator such as metric or us- or whatever other unit system.
    If you want to go all out for mentalRay rendering I`d say go with metrics.

as for the UVW stuff un-check generic world UVW units in general preferences that should disable the default max2009 setting that makes working with textures and UV`s nearly impossible as it trys scale everthing within UV to real world coordinates - whatever that supposed to do good.