Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sonic WIP thread

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
i started this about 2 weeks ago.. took me i think about 12 hours tops.. trying to go for a unique style.. and this has been a challenge because Sonic's form has been set in stone for a long while.. my goal was to keep a lot of familiar features (such as the hair style and red and white shoes) but push his silhouette, and make him look intimidating and aggressive.. i have a 3D version in the works too.. looking for feedback.. thanks

24ee2e2400e60def4e13dc4.jpg

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    If you want to make it aggressive/intimidating, you should change those gigantic /wide open/innocent eyes.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    i'd also like to see him turn super sayian I MEAN super sonic later on as well, hope thats in the plans
  • Zcorpion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that bothers me is that the blue parts of him seems a tad too cyan

I would try with a blue more like this
    sonic2.jpg

Anyway exelent job:)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I really like him. I love the shape of his head and his nose. I like how he's a little more realistic, I'd go with that. I'd refer to actual hedgehogs. I actually prefer the cyan highlight, it seems appropriate. Love his gloves, I thought it was cool how you incorporated rings. Some elbow pads would be cool. I'd also want to exaggerate his quads. Give him a water bottle, maybe a dried meal worm supplement energy bar, a fanny pack, runner's ipod, watch, a headband maybe...
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    I think tone down the muscularity of him and go for some in between the image you posted and the original.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    cool cool thanks for the great comments guys

@ beatkitano: that's a cool idea perhaps make the white of his eyes a bit more narrow and his pupils smaller.. i'll keep that in mind.. although i really like the direction they are going right now because the whites of his eyes are shaped that way, however, i incorporated some sharper edges and made his brow frown down so he looks a little angrier

@leilei: hehe yeah... thought about that, i think for now i'll keep to his normal form.. had a lot of influence from this though.. it would definitely be a good idea to incorporate one of the chaos emeralds into the comp when i finally get it there:

http://mri.deviantart.com/art/Super-Sonic-Tutorial-95534241

@Zcorpian: i see where you are coming from. when i compare the colors, however, the blue of the ref pic feels a lot more playful to me than the cyan.. the cyan gives me an intense feeling when i look at it. maybe i've been looking at it for too long.. donno.. i'll keep it in mind if i feel i need to give him a little change

@Killingpeople: NICE :) thanks.. yeah, i think in my concept i should have explained a little better about the design of my gloves.. bascially.. in the old cartoons and comics, before the emeralds were implemented into the story, i think it was the rings that were the source of his speed.. or the extra burst of speed or something like that.. so i wanted to make a design where he could fit them into his gloves.. simply calling them "ring pocket" gloves... so he can keep them with him as he runs.. thought about function and form for this... cool ideas for the extra gear.. i think i may add knee pads instead of elbow pads but i like that idea too.. i'll play around with it.. and i think the ipod would work nicely too.. trying to add to his attitude a bit too

@uk_resistant: cool yeah that's definitely a good idea and in the works.. Kovac had also suggested that to me earlier too.. as far as his anatomy goes, i am going to change it a little and give him a lankier lean muscular build, instead of a stalky muscular one.. definitely gonna steer clear of the tube arms n legs

thanks for all the great commets guys.. i'll post some progress soon :)