Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS - managing brush sets

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
does anyone know a method (script, plugin, native ps method i've missed?) for managing different sets of brushes - for example, copying a brush from one set into another, without the painful arse of deleting everything other than the brush you want and then appending the set you want that brush to be in onto the end?

(sorry, meaning CSx, ie all CS versions)

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that I know of, but slightly related; You can map a set of brushes to a shortcut key, if they're in the adobe/photoshop/presets/brushes folder (and have been in there since ps started)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Ya, seriously. Brush management in PS blows chunks.

Is there even a way to save over an existing brush? i.e. I use an image to make a new brush (new slot). Now I go in and mess with scattering etc. As far as I can tell, I have to save ANOTHER new brush, and then delete the first one? Is there a way to just Save OVER the existing brush?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think this all falls into the category of requests that will never be addressed because "photoshop is not a a painting program you know".

As for brush management : there is a photoshop brush viewer available online, it does load .ABRs but iirc it wont let you reorganize them, and it wont display the brush stroke, just the brush tip. Useless!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    just load ur set, select all and deselect ur brush, delete, save set as....
    then load it to ur existing set. not as easy as should be but totally do-able.

i wish they would put back CTRL-clicking on a brush or a color swatch to remove it. now why, what hostile, bitter, prickless pimply bitch decided to remove it?? why?
  • ArtsyFartsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You no hungry for brushes.

You hungry for Hotpockets.....and useless $500 upgrades.

You know if have a commercial account with Adobe, and you need some new licenses, but they have a new version out, they won't give you the old versions anymore. You have to buy the new one, even though you have no need whatsoever for the upgrade. Adobe blows.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    It's alt-click to remove brushes and swatches
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    lol snowfly
    maybe my memory was wrong.. oh well, thanks :)
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with what said.

PS really needs a way to categorize your brush's. I mean, filters are categorized better than brushes. gezzz.

I wounder if Coral Painter has something...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah CS sucks at organizing brushes. It's weird how Tool Presets are in alphabetical order, and Brushes can be moved around at will.

Little tip for control freaks : make a 1 pixel brush and call it "
    "

You can use that brush as a category header. You will be able to access your brushes extremely fast, and without a need for stroke preview (If you named them clearly enough!)

I also use * to flag the brushes I use the most.

brushorganize.jpg
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Slick idea there pior! Iam do this at home! thanks.
  • solarnoise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solarnoise polycounter lvl 3
    I'm so sorry to necro-bump this thread, but after many years a solution is finally on its way.  Within a few weeks I'll be releasing BrushBox, a complete preset manager replacement for Brushes and Tool Presets!

To follow development and get notified of the release, special preorder pricing, and beta test signups, please sign up on my gumroad page here:
    https://gumroad.com/derrickbarth/follow

In the meantime, here's a recent gif of the UI: