Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First post, Simple barrel

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
Hi everybody!

Been reading the forums for some time now but never posted anything so here it goes: Simple barrel created for exercise.

Fire away with C&C

comp03.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For something using 512's like that i'd cut in more geometry. Get the straps on there in 3D and separated from the wood so you can play with their orientation. Some of the planks of wood can rise higher than others, etc.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    solid so far, nice depth of field haha, but as brome said give it more definition, especially the 'straps'

also, if you're going to be using normals why not get some of the wood itself? too little detail in that part of the texture or just decided not to? throw the wood into crazybump or something just to see how it looks. though if you got this far I'm sure you already tried normals on the wood itself..
  • oldmanrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need more work on the normal map. Why is the wood not normal mapped?, seems it lacks depth. Also get rid of the bottom of the barrel texture. Players aren't going to see that, as it is useless geo. It will also let you have more space on your texture page so that you have more pixels to work with.

-Rude
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies!

Yeah the dof is a little nice trick I learned here =)
    Actually I havent tried getting normals from the wood, thought it might become to noisy but I will give it a try.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    oldmanrude wrote: »
    Also get rid of the bottom of the barrel texture. Players aren't going to see that, as it is useless geo.
    Unless it's a barrel they can roll and toss about. But since this is using tangent space normals, could just mirror the top, even if slats on the bottom would not be preferable.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    for the planks, instead of running the color texture through CB as it is, you could(or rather should) paint a grayscale heightmap
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too clean looking. make it a little lived in.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    doesnt look curved enough for starters add a couple of loops toe curve it and some more for the metal rings as stated.

to save on texture space you dont need both sides of the barrel as the player will only ever see one side at a time so delete one half and the top, re-UV it in a 256x512, then rotate that round 180 in x (if you rotate rather than flip you dont need to worry about flipped nomals) move the duplicate sides UVs +1 in uv space then re-bake.

also still with the uvs, i would keep the sides straight it gives you a little more stretching, but the wood grain will run along the pixels which will look better. and if i were you i would scale the edge loop on the inside of the top in a bit so there are no +90 degree edges and map it as one peice cutting down on uv seams and giving a better bake
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's much too good for a first post, please try again and this time really muck it up.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments. I cheated and ran the diffuse thru CB and this is the result:

barrel02newnormal512.jpg

This is the normal map now:
    compnormals02.jpg

I think I will leave it as it is now and do something with more complex geometry.

Thanks for all the tips.