Home General Discussion

Generation Kill

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
Anyone been watching this? Im up to episode 5 and Im loving it. It only has 10 episodes, and it kicks butt, its like a cross between jarhead and black hawk down. Nice to see something more realistic and less patriotic.

some of the dialog is really funny

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    It's one of my favorite series ever. Own the book, and the dvds.

What's great about it, is that while it takes place during war time, and there are lots of gunfights to satisfy that, the show itself is really centered around the actual people under the helmets. They did a great job on it.

Also, all based on actual events, where Evan Wright (Rolling Stone Reporter) ACTUALLY rode in the lead humvee in the first invasion in 2003 (ballsy guy) OH, and Fruity Rudy is playing himself!

Get some!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fruity rudy bits are fkin hillarious !
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Brilliant, everything David Simon writes is educational entertainment.
    If you liked this and missed The Wire, you have a treat ahead of you :)

I would go as far as saying that The Wire is the best bit of TV ever made, it explains everything about the US that, ironically, the majority of americans don't understand :)
    It's bigger than that though, all its truths apply to society in general and after you've learned them its hard to fall back into the same silly patterns of distraction.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    You have to love the show and the character nick-names fit perfectly.

Mr. Potato-head: I think this nick-name is just to piss the guy off.
    Captain America: Is paranoid and high strung and wants to engage everybody in the war.
    Encino Man: The neanderthal of a commanding officer.
    The Godfather: Had throat cancer so he sounds like the godfather
    Iceman: Cool under pressure.
    Whopper Jr.: Whopper Jr's home is Burger King and BK stands for Baby killer.
    Fruity-Rudy: All of that guys parts are hilarious. "Don't worry.. its not gay to think he's pretty...We all think he's pretty" Hell they introduce the guy by making his character put on every piece of gear he has, load up his backpack with rocks and go running full boar in blistering heat. On top of all of this he is running almost double the speed of everyone else. Hilarious.

What they do with the reporter's picture is just hilarious. The way they introduce everyone in the first episode with the school letters and pictures is choice.

Definitely worth a watch.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    POLICE THAT MOUSTACHE
  • [Deleted User]
    Brilliant, everything David Simon writes is educational entertainment.
    If you liked this and missed The Wire, you have a treat ahead of you :)
    Yeah, GK actually got me into The Wire after finding it out was the same guy behind it, and I'm so glad it did. The Wire is easily the best TV show I've ever seen
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    aniceto wrote: »
    POLICE THAT MOUSTACHE

you will adhere to the goomings standards!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPrNuF72L3Y[/ame]

Also, I heard J-Lo's dead.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POLICE THAT MOUSTACHE!!

LMFAO
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this from the show:-

Cpl. Ray Person
    Look at this shit, how come we can't ever invade a cool country, like chicks in bikinis, you know, how come counties like that don't ever need Marines, I'll tell you why, it's lack of pussy that fucks countries up, lack of pussy is the root fucking cause of all global instability, if more hajis were getting quality pussy, there'd be no reason for us to come over and fuck em up like this, cause a nutbusting haji, is a happy haji.
  • debaser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great series!
    Just sent the 3rd disc back to Netflix.

Def. Check out the discussion with Evan and the actual soldiers on the 3rd disc extras.

The bridge scene with Persons yelling "could any of you please back the fuck up!" had me in tears.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    its alright, nothin compared to The Wire or The Corner though, and the closest thing to compare it to is Band of Brothers which it doens't even come close too, but still a decent mini series, better than most of the crap on tv
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    cool thanks for the heads up on this show dudes started watching it tonight and im liking it so far.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've just been watching Band of Brothers again, so I'm hoping this show is just as good.