Home Technical Talk

Sculpting tools, mudbox VS Zbrush

I know this is apples to oranges, but I'd still like to read a little discussion on the subject. I played with zbrush2 briefly when I was in school, but then it was still a 'character tool' and I knew I wanted to be in environments so I didn't pay it too much mind. Sculpting seems to be gaining momentum in a lot of environment art lately, with just the open-world and mobile guys still clinging to heightmaps-generated normals mixed with crazybump passes on the diffuse.

ZBrush seems to have more industry acceptance as a standard, but mudbox has a much more friendly interface to me. Mudbox also seems to stick with being a sculpting tool, while zbrush is a bit more jack-of-all-trades. ZBrush also has the benefit of being able to re-topo something if you really go to down on the sculpt, which although it isn't a feature that's heavily used by enviro guys (that I know of anyway), probably because its very likely to pull your stuff off-grid, it's still a nice option to have in special cases.

If you were going to pick one package to learn and stick with, which would it be and why?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The saying goes; "Jack of all trades, master of none. But often more useful then a master of one". And its true for Zbrush. Mudbox may have mastery over the crazy simple and locked down interface and Zbrush has way too many tools right out in the open, it does get easier the more you work with it. Also in Zbrush you can customize the UI and make it nearly mudbox simple if you want. I wouldn't do that right off the bat but its pretty helpful to clear out some of the clutter.

I tend to favor mudbox, its what we use at work, we use it for sculpting cliffs, cracks in buildings, damage to structures, hair helmets, wrinkles in cloths and all kinds of details. Everyone really likes its simple approach. I use Zbrush in my off work time for pretty much the same stuff. I'd say I'm still learning its kind of wonky way of working. But I keep hearing if you stick with Zbrush long enough the usability stops being an issue and at that point the one major thing mudbox has going for it, kind of dries up and blows away.

Zbrush has quite a bit going for it zspheres, transpose, smart-ish topo, some pretty amazing sculpting tools. But its viewport display is kind of piss. I can see mudbox being a little better in that arena especailly now with some pretty advanced realtime shader support.

Also the latest version of Mudbox was pretty buggy and I haven't checked it out since they released the latest patch. Aside from it feeling more like a minor update to the tools the fancy shader display and painting was pretty "cool" but not really useful in my day to day needs.

I'm slowly being pulled to Zbrush as the more I use it the less the interface becomes an issue. I wish we used it at work so I would have more exposure to it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    mudbox is far from friendly IMHO, I hate all the keyboard shortcuts, hat the way it sticks

when you are going up and down the levels.

I pretty much picked up zbrush within a few days, but mudbox just frustrates me.

In zbrush I can just sculpt, then rotate around the local axis ie the last point I sculpted, then

rotate the model by clicking on the background.

The only thing that does bug me is the view itself, too many shader options and sometimes

the details you sculpt look so different by the time you get back in to max, but aside from that

I loves it.

TBH though the more I do 3d the more I prefer to 'model in' most of what i do in max then

just add minor details in zbrush.

imagine sculpting with a paintbrush in real life, bit stupid really:)
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    i dont like how in mudbox model scale matters alot for the brush intensity. everyone seems to have it the key points though, it depends on your workflow tbh.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I liked mud1 back before zb3 came out, but after that I made the switch for all the additional tools (and symmetry that didn't break all the time >_< ). When mud2k9 came out I gave it a go though cause the previews made it look amazing, and I found it to be anything but. Glitches and workflow issues were so littered about I felt like the designers must have been on an acid trip the whole time. 2 things that really felt like a step back were the way models are shaded which I feel is highly deceptive in that it hides a lot of details. The other major thing was that the tools have an odd feel to them, and things that should really just be an option on various brushes have been turned into their own brushes, making for a lot of clutter in that area that mud didn't have in v1.

I hear sp1 fixes a bunch of issues, but I haven't given it a 2nd shot yet. I did read the release notes for sp1 and alot of things I wanted fixed were not listed, so I'm sticking with zb till the next major mud release (which I expect within the next 6-8 months anyway).
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    glib wrote: »
    If you were going to pick one package to learn and stick with, which would it be and why?

Value for money: Zbrush. More tools than mud.

Hit the road running: Mud. faster to learn/easier to use
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Does Mudbox have poseable symmetry? That's pretty awesome for sculpting.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it had it way before zbrush right from the start in beta
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I for one LOVE me some ZBrush. I have not tried Mud, but I am going to very soon. A friend of mine swears by Mud, but he's never tried ZB. I will admit, there are tons of times that ZB makes me go :poly122: , and that is usually a regular basis. Mud has texture tools just like ZBrush, and from the tutorial vids I've seen, it seems like a smoother workflow to be more of a mix between ZBrush and BodyPaint. Switching between ZBrush's ZApplink can be "okay", but it can slow down your workflow. So I'll typically just UV externally and then texture flat. So in that regard, I'm interested in seeing "what Mud can do for you". My biggest turner is the rendering engine. ZBrush's rendering engine is so so and has given me a many a headaches. Anything that is going to make my computer crash upon rendering will give me a headache. If I can render something just as complicated in Mental Ray with tons of polygons and advanced shading networks, but it crashes in ZBrush, there's something not right about that. Not that rendering in either app is really important for final results by any means for gaming, but just as a comparison, it is not that great. So I guess in conclusion ZBrush has Transpose and Retopo over Mudbox, and Mudbox has realtime texturing and rendering over ZBrush.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    it had it way before zbrush right from the start in beta
    Not "poseable" symmetry. It has world space symmetry or object symmetry, but its crazy nuts buggy and mud doesn't have any features to pose your character. You can move things around by selecting verts/edges/faces but that's insane on a sculpt.

ZB handles it pretty well by not relaying on world space or object space, but the actual topology. So it doesn't matter where you pose pieces it finds them. Granted it requires you to work in a very particular way...
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Poseable_Symmetry
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    you cannot pose thats true but tangent space symmetry works just fine on a symmetrical mesh thats posed, you select two faces in the center seam to define the symmetry axis and that's it, it works just like in zbrush.

asymmetric forms sculpted in mudbox with tangent symmetry

http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/muddles/pirate_mb_gallery.jpg
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/muddles/boxhead02.jpg
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/muddles/brks.jpg
    and an very old very ugly very crappy first try on a posed sculpture
    http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/application_/sculpts/figure01b.jpg back in the beta days
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    ... you select two faces in the center seam to define the symmetry axis and that's it, it works just like in zbrush.
    I've never been able to get that to work in 1.0 and haven't tried it in 2.0 yet maybe they fixed it? But that's the "crazy nuts buggy" part I was talking about. Even on a very simple mesh I know for a fact is symmetrical, it would give some kind of an error like "please define two tris in the center" or something. Yea did that...
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    so you selected the two faces in the center? ^^
    it worked well in first beta, all you had to keep in mind is not to have any tris in your model

just a week ago when i started working on a streetfighter bust, zbrush didn't want to find me a center line too, so i guess the buggyness is not only a mudbox thingie ;)
    i'm not fighting for mudbox, as my workflow is 90% zbrush, i'm only using mudbox from time to time on conventions to present it to the crowd, as it's so easy to pick up i only need a few minutes to get back in, but in my day to day work i'm missing too many needed features, retopo, transpose, subtoolmaster just to name a few
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That could have been it, might have had a tri in there some where. It would be help if their error message mentioned some of the common issues like that, instead of telling you to repeat the last step you just did... grr...

Heh yea talk about you're role reversal, I mostly use Mud and I'm making a case for ZB haha.