Home General Discussion

Art Test submission etiquette?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
I am wondering how long should I wait for a company to contact me after I have submitted an art test?
I submitted my test by way of email on Monday - which was probably a holiday for most here in the states. Haven't heard back yet. . . should I bother them with a follow up email or is that too much too soon? I wasn't told when they would get back to me so I'm curious as to how long I should wait - - forever? - a week? - a month?
should i just get a grip on my panties and be patient or should i send a email inquire by the end of the weeK?
I don't want to be rude. So any input I would greatly appreciate - thanks.

Replies

• Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I'd wait a week and half to two weeks before checking in. It sucks when you're trying to get a job, but from what I've heard places have been totally swamped with apps so it may take a bit longer. Good luck.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'd wait 2 weeks also. Sometimes they are really quick and respond with the usual "at this time your skills aren't what we are looking for" Other times they won't even respond at all leaving you to wonder whether you did good or not. I applied at a place last month, did their design test and it wasn't what they were looking for, but the producer was nice enough to send me what they were expecting in the UI design test, I was very impressed!
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Be patient if you can. I know its hard. But they are also dealing with mass amounts of applications and art submissions, all the while trying to complete a game too. So it can take them some time to respond. I've waited about 2 weeks before I sent an email over asking what was up.

However, I sent in an art test to a Microsoft recruiter over a month ago and have heard absolutely nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if I never hear anything back but.. in some cases, that's just how it goes. They either will tell you, 'your qualifications do not match the skills required for this position' or they just won't respond back to you at all.. which usually means, thanks but no thanks.

It's great when a studio reaches out and explains why you weren't hired though. I appreciate the ones who take that extra step and tell me what it is I could have done better.. y'know, so I can approve for the next time a position opens up. There aren't too many of those studios though.

If you're going to call or email them, wait until the end of the week. It's only been a couple of days so I wouldn't expect to hear back from them that quick. Unless of course they know they want to hire you immdeiately before some other studio offers you a position.

Good luck man! Let us know how it turns out. I'm rooting for you. (if you don't mind me asking, I noticed you're in So Cal too.. where did you apply?)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    this is where i'm torn: I totally agree that I should wait 2+ weeks as I imagine there are plenty of other submissions and I'm not the only person that exists in this world. So I shouldn't be an ass and bug them with emails like i'm a needy little 2 year old.

On the other hand I feel like I should drop an email saying " yadda yadda just making sure my test got to you, hope to hear from you soon yadda yadda". .. .

The only reason being is to let them know that I am interested in working for their company - I feel that if I don't they would assume that i'm just another turd in a punch bowl shooting my application to any and all studios in america.

Lee3dee: yes, in the end I hope they give me some sort of feed back/ critique on my test. the straight forward " thanks, but no thanks" with no input really sucks.

Anyone have any insight to share with me on this matter???

Edit: well i just checked my email . . .got a positive email back . . . this was possibly the longest 2 days of my life .. . anyways - on to the next step.
  • psychoticprankster
    I'm glad you got the response you wanted, congrats!