Home General Discussion

Intresting analysis of sales. Gamasutra.

Jay Evans
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3932/npd_behind_the_numbers_january_.php

"The reality is that Nintendo rules this industry. Hardware, software, and accessory sales for Nintendo's twin powerhouses, the Wii and Nintendo DS, accounted for nearly half of all revenue in 2008. "

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is interesting. I never really saw how the wii was doing compared to the xbox... I just knew that they were selling more consoles. Just goes to show that hardcore games aren't everything... well to me they are. :P
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Sure Nintendo may sell far more consoles than Microsoft or Sony, but Microsoft and Sony sell far more games. I remember reading a similar article a while back (I think it was for 2007 sales, which had very similar figures in terms of console sales). However, the average games purchased for Wii per console was less than 2, I think it may have actually been 1. Xbox owners owned an average of 6 - 7 games. I can't remember the figures for PS3 owners, but it was more than Wii and less than xbox.

-caseyjones
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    in Portugal and Spain the wii doesnt seem to sell, i think its due to 0 decent games come to it , only gimmicky cooking mama and shit, serves me right tho i kinda fell on the Red steel hype ehehe.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    In the PS3 first year its games to console ratio was under 1 because it was the cheapest bluray player so people were(and still are) just buying them for that. Even now there are hardly any worth while games on the PS3 the few people i know with one have under 10 games, where as their 360 they have 20-30. As for the Wii i only know of a few people that have more than two games for it(Wii fit doesn't count).
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I think actually nintendo sells far more games total. PS3\360 may sell more games per console.

"Nintendo announced that the top 30 titles for January 2009 included 20 titles for its systems. "

I guess I just put this up here because I was surprised that the wii and wii games were that dominating. I dont know any one making wii games.. I dont know anyone playing them..my wii is back in the box and its been there for months. Go figure.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Now if we can just get that Wii controller on a game system with some beef.

I absolutely love Metroid Prime 3. It proved to me how well the controller can work for FPS. Not enough games like that...although I can't say I play mine very much at all. Collects dust...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metroid Prime 3 did a great job of proving that the wiimote is the superior controller for a fps, it's only too bad it's a lonely example (although I hear good things about call of duty).
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    @johny: A few months ago the distributor in Portugal changed and now it's Nintendo Spain. Is it really that bad over there? Madworld, The Conduit, Deadly Creatures and House of the Dead look promising.