Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

King Tiger (Porshe turret)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,
I was working on a game model of King Tiger for a while so now i thought i finally got something to show :)

I have pretty much finished low-poly (around 17k tris), general Normal map and occlusion component of Diffuse map.

Some more damages will still be done ;)

78693552lb1.jpg

55307755dr2.jpg

18887949oe0.jpg

17757818ul8.jpg

18600035xy7.jpg

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    this is a sick one bro. Tanks always look great with nice spec maps, get on that shit. God that turret reminds me of the Leo.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a sweet porshe. lol jk.

thats a really tight model. i wanna see it colored.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice and clean :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    say no to the normal map you have on the main body. something about it just doesn't sit right.

maybe it's just me?

the rest of it looks neat
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    The Zimmerit is WAY too consistent, giving the tank a rather synthetic look. Get creative with it and randomize its application; it'll give your Königstiger character.

aakt01.jpg

Also, it would be cool to see the welds in the normal map. Even with the Zimmerit coating, they could still be visible.

aakt02.jpg

Overall it looks really good, can't wait to see it textured. What camo scheme were you planning on doing?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for feedbacks guyz.

@ Harry - thanks man, what is Leo btw?

@ bounchfx - that is zimmerit coating, but definetely it needs more work :)

@ Eraserhead - thanks for hints. For now the zimmerit is done like a base generic surface so that i can work on it more of course. I was hesitating about welding seams because of zimmerit being layed over them but i guess u r right about coolness of adding them in any case :)

I guess it also lacks some more "armor" normal relief ;)
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Ooo, that's pretty. Like what you have so far. Be sure to add several shell hits when you sculpt in some damage.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a bit more on zimmerit and added welding seams.

What do u think about it now? Note that i will also add some skratches from enemy shells as well so hopefully that also will bring more variation.

95749885ga7.jpg
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work; good job on the welds and the zimmerit is looking better. These small details really make a difference.

I know this will sound like an extreme nit-pick but I just have one more comment about the zimmerit, specifically in the areas with the missing skirts. I think you should either extend the zimmerit so that it hugs the skirt brackets, or remove the zimmeritt from the area sans the skirts all together, as seen in these two pics. (Even though the vehicle on the right is a Jagdtiger it still can apply to a Tiger II, since they both used the same chasis and hull).

tigerzim.jpg

Often there would not be zimmerit on the armor underneath the skirts since it was applied after the skirts were attached, and when the skirt was lost in the field it would expose the zimmerit-less area. Even though official orders were to cover all armored surfaces of the hull with zimmerit, it wasn't always done. The same orders also said not to put zimmerit on turrets, yet this was done commonly. I guess that's one of the joys of doing German tanks, they varied so much and were so inconsistent that you can have alot of fun with these subtle details and put alot of story and history behind your vehicles.

Can't wait to see this textured.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    even tho it is in the ref it simply looks ugly, makes it look like noise and simply bad , i would remove them and try to spice up the design, maybe adding some props that tanks tend to have ontop of them etc...keep going man !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Johnny, its just ugly and from any other distance besides run-you-over-close it starts to look horrible. You need to remember that not everyone is going to stand right next to the tank and even if they do they might not take the time to appreciate the detail. But they will notice a ugly distorted mess rolling over the hill a few hundred yards away...

As for the weld marks those are easy to paint. Take any round hard brush set it to white, turn on Shape dynamics & Color dynamics. Create a new layer set it to multiply and paint welds. You can also apply bevel emboss to the layer (I know I know) to thicken them up a bit, and yes its easy to get the emboss wrong. You'll probably need to play around with the brush settings a bit but its almost fool proof.

Because this can be done in B/W it makes it pretty easy to combine them into normal maps, using either the nvidia filter, or something like crazybump.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for crits.

@ Eraserhead - yes I agree that logically it would be rather absent or completely present in those areas. I just had some refs where it was done the way i did, but I will remove it from skirt areas.

@ Johny , Vig - well, thanks to mipmapping the pattern will not bother from the distance. Afterall it is also seen in many WW2 games where one can see a vehicle that historically was using zimmerit.
    Just a few quick examples that came into my head and those r pretty cool games:

CoD5 World at War:
    http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cod515g.jpg

Theater of War:
    http://bestgamewallpapers.com/files/theatre-of-war/king-tiger.jpg
    http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/Unit%20Gallery/SPG/pages/Jagdpanzer_IV.html

Red Orchestra:
    http://www.darkesthourgame.com/media/kingtigermedia.jpg

There is also Blitzkrieg 1 and 2, i just didn't find appropriate screens in net, but it also has tanks with same coating.

However, since u did not like it means i gotta work more on it again, so your critics is a good indicator for me ;)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, i kept on working more on the stuff :)

Here is Diffuse texture at its current state. Still lacking grids on rear plate above the engine.

And i steel need to add some stuff here and there. Currently displayed only fullbright with vertex colors:

75352862.jpg

74951502.jpg

and a closeup shot of the front:

86178635.jpg
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a spec map for this?
  • robomaniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robomaniac polycounter lvl 15
    heya, good looking tank.... =)

nice to seee it here too
  • Coreyhkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, Are you planning on putting it in a game engine.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ dolemite - for sure, right now i am working on diffuse. Normal and Spec are obligatory :)

@ robomaniac - lol, thanks man :)

@ Coreyhkh - yes, I will render final one in UT3. I will also try to do it with shaderFX for max, but sometimes it bugs, so i will see.

For now a bit more progress.
    Continuing adding dust, damages/skratches, rust. I also did yellow a bit darker.

60183151.jpg

26770043.jpg

37276374.jpg

14091059.jpg

61998699.jpg
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Dude thats a seriously sexy tank!!!

Cant wait to see it with the normal and spec applied.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks culturedbum :)

A small update:

54491544.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I'm starting to think you're not showing us the spec and normals to tease us.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    rooster wrote: »
    looks ace

I'd have to agree. Those details are nice. The bucket is a clever unique detail.