Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting back in the 3d game - Elf dude

naruSol
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
naruSol polycounter lvl 18
Been a long while since I wandered in here, but I think the guys in #m_d are getting sick of me posting my wips in there, so maybe I can get some more feedback here.

I've drifted away from game art for the last half decade or so, and never really "put my back into it" and only ever completed a couple models back in the Q3 modding days. So, about 5 years later I come back with the full intent on taking it seriously and learning all the skills I avoided back then like unwrapping and actually skinning rather than tossing it off to friends who could.

Anyways, here is a character model I made the last few days that is intended as a 'base' for an RPG my room mate and I are working on. Clothing will be customizable, so I the nakedness and hairlessness is due to that, though I expect to throw together a few hair options soon(you can see I modeled in a hairline on the forehead).

gratabase.jpg

The face is a little dense for the purpose, but I want to leave as much in there for now so that when I make the other face options I can customize this one rather than making all new heads every time(though each of the 'races' will probably get one). Tips on optimizing it and any other parts of the model would be helpful though.

I'm also working on refining a model for the same project that a friend of mine started and I am finishing up since I'm impatient.

scrooberwip.jpg

More to come as it unfolds.

Thanks for any comments/crits/whatever.

- Devin

P.S. Anyone know how to turn off the camera distortion in Silo?

Replies

• Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    First and foremost. The "elf dude" as you put it is one hell of a beefy Elf, at least going by typical fantasy standards, Elves tend to be lean and limber. This guy looks like he carries around trees for fun (for an elf)
    Other than that no real crits. Typical fantasy elves tend to be more angular, this guys features are soft. Again that can be up to stylization which is certainly your right to do. It helps to vary things a bit if everyone doesn't have to be all Tolkien-ized all the time.

As far as Scroober goes, how does he move around? Does he use his elongated fingers to move around or does he float ala slimer? I have trouble beleiving he can support his weight comfortably on those hands. Monster or not.

If he floats tho. Cool-i-oh

Robert Headley,
    Professional amateur game art critic
    esquire
    and stuff
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He isn't really an "elf" but without going into the back story of my game It is the easiest comparison.

As far as the scroober goes, they'll walk on their fingers like that, though I may change them a bit if enough people think it looks odd. No floating though, even with magic and monsters I want to try to keep it somewhat grounded. The only monsters that float will be those with some means of doing so (wings, for example) even if it isn't really realistic to have them hovering in place.

Did this shot up for scale earlier, and worked on some hair options for the guy but silo keeps crashing on me.

chillintogether.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

- Devin
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another monster, though it still needs some tweaking for the front-view silhouette.

charrowarywip.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Now, see that's looking great. I told you Silo was badass...
    Learn to UV next.