Home General Discussion

So how bad is the job situation in the industry right now?

I graduated last year with a mediocre portfolio, but I still got some interviews from a few companies. I never got a job beyond the contract one I'm in now but my career advisor kept telling me that it's not me but the economy right now. Is that actually true? I'm under the impression that the game industry is recession-proof, but I'm not so sure.

Is it uncommon to be out of school with no full-time job in this industry, or is my career advisor right? I have a real hard time gauging right now, but I can tell you that I haven't gotten any interviews lately and I think a lot of the stuff that used to be in my portfolio when I did was a lot worse.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truth be told, no industry is recession-proof. There have been more than the typical end of the year layoffs this time around, but i dont think the situtation is absolutely dire yet. I think in general the games industry may be able to handle a recession better than most other industries, but what do i know.

Anyway, its very common for students just graduating to have trouble finding a job, unless they have an excellent portfolio, this is true even in a good economy, because studios are looking to hire experienced people over people with degrees. With the recent layoffs, you have more and more experienced, qualified people fighting for every job, which is bound it make it a lot harder to get any sort of position.

So, thats a bunch of stuff that you can't really control, now here some stuff that you can: Continue to work on your own, you say your portfolio is mediocre, start posting your work here for critiques, listen to them and work on improving, and revamp your portfolio with better work. If you can continue to do contract, stay with it, any experience working in the industry is very valuable, onsite or offsite.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The economy is bad, the industry is not recessions proof, and it is harder to get in today then it was a year ago. Its not just the economy that makes it tougher, it's also the fact that expectations are continuously rising for what an entry level artist should be able to do.

Beyond that, and forgive me for being blunt but, your portfolio is a mess.
    Nothing in a game engine (not necessary, but it helps)
    no high poly assets
    All normal maps appear to be diffuse/color maps run through a filter
    Textures lack color, depth, and appear fuzzy
    Only 3 of your 'finished' pieces include any information (tri count, texture size)
    Many of your pieces show no understanding of optimization (ex: USS Reliant)
    And despite your resumes claim to the contrary I see nothing that shows you've ever used ZBrush.

Also, reguarding your website specifically, if your going to haveone at least post it somewhere in your account (sig / contact info) so people that want to see it dont have to run through your post history to find it. and your sites pages all come up as 'untitled document' in the top of the browser, that should be fixed.

While as this is all a little off topic, it's probably what you need to know.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    One thing to remember with recession is that it affects the investment side of things very heavily. So even though game sales have remained strong, there is less investment money flowing, which causes problems for games. Some of the recent layoffs have also been totally unrelated. Things like corporate restructuring (caused by crap like activision and vivendi merging), the lifecycle of the consoles, the time of year etc... can all have effects.

As for the state of getting jobs, it depends on where you are at. For instance, Vancouver is a terrible place to be looking for work right now, but from what I've been hearing Montreal is doing quite a bit better. :P

Anyways, the most important bit is what EQ mentioned. Basically make sure your 'folio is awesome, not mediocre, and you'll be good. And Polycount is a great place to get help while making that awesome portfolio. ;)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    no high poly assets

OMG!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Ditto on the said part about the economy, most of the time its more about you than just the economy when unable to find a job. Plug yourself to the world and be in for a long bumpy ride (working on your skills.)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Your career advisor is partially right and wrong.

Yes the fact that there have been so many layoffs leaving experienced artist in the job market and that companies may not be hiring as much is hurting college grads.

But your portfolio is what could be hurting you as well like what polyhertz said. I can't really pinpoint a specific area that you should work on since I think overall you need to sit down and really work on it all more.

Maybe try using tileable textures for the buildings and not trying to cram an entire building texture on one sheet. Putting stuff in a game engine would help most def. Some high poly or some form of next-gen knowledge would help too.

Good luck and don't let the crappy economy give ya a buzz kill. :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Tulkamir wrote: »

As for the state of getting jobs, it depends on where you are at. For instance, Vancouver is a terrible place to be looking for work right now.

oh how i know this too well :P
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I dont know about this panic stuff, seems flaky. there are a couple 3d jobs listed about every 2 weeks on craigslist vancouver... .... check montreal daily..... there are hardly any 3d postings there at all. Try looking past games specifically for the interem.... working on 3d sculpts of any kind is still good, and adds to your portfolio. Adapt to the fluctuating market a little, make a nice crisp, slick looking hotel room sculpt (lots of that in Vanocuver..), do an intense machinery sculpt and a detailed medical sculpt... These 3, if executed properly would only take a month to complete and broaden your scope a lot. Also the texturing can be B or C list for those... not like games where texture is waaay more important... There are other openings too. about a month ago an adult entertainment mmo (looked like Second Life a lot) in Vanocouver was hiring like mad (character and environment)... sure these are not A-list jobs but there isnt only A-list talent around either... This will give you experience to get the great game job. Some game companies are responding to resumes asking people to weather the drought a bit longer, which is also hopeful...

Im not speaking from experience of landing a solid game industry job, ive never had one, but I am speaking from common sense and yes some blind faith. both of which are very handy in times like now to stay positive.

... just cause you can bake a cake that doesnt taste like a sewer rat pissed on it, doesnt make you a chef anyway... you have to go to chef events, network with other chefs, talk to family chefs and yes maybe even work as a dishwasher before they put you on the cook line...
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry if it's been said but what kinda places are you applying to? Perhaps you're setting your expectations a bit too high or just not looking in the right places for smaller studios looking for helping hands.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in the same boat as _Aurel_, though I graduated about a year ago, still havn't found work. While including previous years of work from modding before attending school.

I should probably jump on the polycount bandwagon for work critiques.

But today with the economy as is... It's a hit or miss type of deal as I am coming to find. The worst part of it is seeing how many companies are looking for lead-senior roles more than taking an extra couple juniors on board for lesser pay than those needed for the ranks of someone who will want a higher raise.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The worst part of it is seeing how many companies are looking for lead-senior roles more than taking an extra couple juniors on board for lesser pay than those needed for the ranks of someone who will want a higher raise.
    What studios have you actively applied to and been told this?

A large number of the jobs that people land aren't from applying to the same tired public auctions you see on the web forums. They are from people who know people, or from HR who draw names from a pool of potential cream-of-the-crop first. Then they post on forums and advertise to the rest of the world when they have already asked internally and addressed other potential avenues.

You claim to have been out of school for a year and "still haven't found work", and yet after a year you have absolutely nothing to show for yourself to one of the bigger online communities in the gaming industry in the way of a portfolio, or any recent WIPs to speak of.

Just how much do you really want it? How many hours do you play video games versus actually making 3d?
    just cause you can bake a cake that doesnt taste like a sewer rat pissed on it, doesnt make you a chef anyway... you have to go to chef events, network with other chefs, talk to family chefs and yes maybe even work as a dishwasher before they put you on the cook line
    This is absolute truth. Especially in these economic times, you can't apply to 3 places, get rejected, and then call it quits. There are plenty of jobs out there for people who are skilled and willing to bleed, sweat, and cry for it.

This industry is not going to get any easier to break into, and thankfully this current economic struggle is only making more companies aware that the money-wasting days of 3-5 years ago aren't cutting it, and we don't have room for talentless hacks.

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be some shit games, but you can bet that recruiters and HR are buckling down on budgets across the board, and that means they are getting more and more cautious about their investments. (You, the potential noob 3d artist)
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Things are pretty dry after about a month of looking in Vancouver. There are some postings but I reckon their is alot of competition on the remaining openings, especially for artists. I'm about to pack and move out of Van, but a friend sent me a link and a Interview in the morning.

If you work is up to snuff to the games and/or films of today, you'll find a job eventually. But if you want a job now you'll need to go above the competition in terms of visual quality and time taken.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rwolf - didnt you post a couple months ago that you worked for a special effects company in vancouver?

Looking for only a month during a rock bottom economy hit doesnt really make me think getting a job is impossible in Vancouver, especially when in the same paragraph you get an interview tomorrow... It takes a month for companies to just read through the resumes probably, then another 2 weeks to process follow-up I bet... Im not saying the economy isnt shit, it is, but mainly cause thats the common perception now.. anyway what im saying is that the CG industry is in general decent and that this is a decent area for it...

EDIT: Ubisoft is apparently hiring in Montreal so do apply there! also 31337 recruiting is handling interviews here in Vancouver, so there you go, both cities working together... now go get some precious jobs if you have the skillz...
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as _Aurel_, though I graduated about a year ago, still havn't found work. While including previous years of work from modding before attending school.

I should probably jump on the polycount bandwagon for work critiques.

But today with the economy as is... It's a hit or miss type of deal as I am coming to find. The worst part of it is seeing how many companies are looking for lead-senior roles more than taking an extra couple juniors on board for lesser pay than those needed for the ranks of someone who will want a higher raise.

How can you be looking for work without having an online portfolio?

I'm not trying to be snarky, it just seems to me like having a portfolio that isn't on the web is going to hamstring you - making it more difficult to share and making you look less professional.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott wrote: »
    What studios have you actively applied to and been told this?

A large number of the jobs that people land aren't from applying to the same tired public auctions you see on the web forums. They are from people who know people, or from HR who draw names from a pool of potential cream-of-the-crop first. Then they post on forums and advertise to the rest of the world when they have already asked internally and addressed other potential avenues.

You claim to have been out of school for a year and "still haven't found work", and yet after a year you have absolutely nothing to show for yourself to one of the bigger online communities in the gaming industry in the way of a portfolio, or any recent WIPs to speak of.

Just how much do you really want it? How many hours do you play video games versus actually making 3d?

This is absolute truth. Especially in these economic times, you can't apply to 3 places, get rejected, and then call it quits. There are plenty of jobs out there for people who are skilled and willing to bleed, sweat, and cry for it.

This industry is not going to get any easier to break into, and thankfully this current economic struggle is only making more companies aware that the money-wasting days of 3-5 years ago aren't cutting it, and we don't have room for talentless hacks.

Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be some shit games, but you can bet that recruiters and HR are buckling down on budgets across the board, and that means they are getting more and more cautious about their investments. (You, the potential noob 3d artist)

This is a fantastic post.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow , nice ott !
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    This is a fantastic post.

That's because Ott is the man.

Seriously what is this "The economy is bad I can't get a job". Stop making excuses, and stop being lazy. If you really want to get in this industry you have to bust your ass everyday tell you get a job. That's the way its been good and bad economy.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    The one thing thats good about this situation is that Artist that want jobs will buckle down and work on there portfolios, and the ones that shouldent get a job in the first place will just give up. :P
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    well... there's pretty serious competition for jobs at most of the top companies, i've seen many people say stuff like "oh unless i'm working for epic or blizzard its not worth my time" but thats exactly the type of attitude thats not going to get you anywhere, you have to be open to opportunities and apply everywhere, chances are you'll have to move across the country for a job that may not be what you dreamed of to get into the industry, but you have to get in at some point, take whatever you can get, learn how it is and either keep at it or decide its not for you, and i hate to echo other people's comments, but graduating from a college doesn't entitle you to anything, no one's going to just give you a job, its a little bit more competitive than that.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    @rwolf - didnt you post a couple months ago that you worked for a special effects company in vancouver?

Yes, but my contract did not get renewed, and then a few weeks back the rest of the staff were laid off/haitus until further notice (some round in march)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sorry to hear that man, I am sure you will get a job again dont listen to these nay-sayers!