• breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    not yet, u got my hopes up
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In addition, PC gamers will be able to get their hands on the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit which will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.
    Woo hoo!
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Says SDK. I wonder what all that will include? Do I smell a polycount Zombie Contest a coming?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah SDK will be badass :D can't wait !!!

the 2 new campaigns are, I think the 2 missing ones in the versus mode, I'm curious however about the survival mode :D
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Sweet!
    But if the new versus campaings are only the ones that are not yet activated it would be very cheap. They can allready be played by typing something in the console.
    Maybe survivial is something like invasion/horde, never ending waves of zombies come running at you and every wave they get more at once! :D
    I hope i get to see some maps at polycount when the SDK will be released! :) SDK is only for makeing maps right? Being able to Change the zombie models or makeing new weapons would be awesome!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    YES!!! oh god yes

I'm so exicted!!!!

funny-gif-avatar.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The SDK can be used to make all sorts of changes to the game. It's not just for maps. You can use it to import custom models, create animated sequences, genarate lip-syncing and facial expressions, etc... I don't see any reason why custom characters or custom zombies wouldn't be possible.

Of course, it might not be possible to have custom characters, zombies, or rules within Left 4 Dead itself. You would probably have to make a full-on Mod to the game to get those features included. But this is also entirely possible with the Steam SDK. (and a copy of Visual Studio Express 2008) A polycount L4D Mod would be able to include whatever custom maps, characters, and rules you wanted.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Right now I have a doubt for a custom characters, I see the SDK of L4D like the SDK of TF2 - just mapping.

If somebody is hurry - there's already some way to get content of L4D to start mapping.

l4dcustomsdktitle-1.png

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/7416
    The SDK can be used to make all sorts of changes to the game. It's not just for maps. You can use it to import custom models, create animated sequences, genarate lip-syncing and facial expressions, etc... I don't see any reason why custom characters or custom zombies wouldn't be possible.

Of course, it might not be possible to have custom characters, zombies, or rules within Left 4 Dead itself. You would probably have to make a full-on Mod to the game to get those features included. But this is also entirely possible with the Steam SDK. (and a copy of Visual Studio Express 2008) A polycount L4D Mod would be able to include whatever custom maps, characters, and rules you wanted.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/7416

Unofficial SDK. I have it setup and there are quite a few maps already near completion.
    If there is a contest, I would devote every hour. Already have concept art and basic block out for a few parts of a campaign already done :poly124:

(Damn it, dizzywalnut beat me to it :( )
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    sicsided wrote: »

(Damn it, dizzywalnut beat me to it :( )

hahaha

A big conversion "The Dawn of Dead" for NMRIH to "The Crossroads Mall " by Dath Brush to L4D.
    just watch it -
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuZvbEPsAg[/ame]
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be kind of disapointed if the new vs campaigns are just dead air and death toll, but it sounds likely, as they don't talk about new coop campaigns, and there's no real reason to add a vs campaign without also putting it in coop campaign mode.

Really looking forward to the SDK, I'm afraid it's gonna make finding clean servers even harder though, it's bad enough already with all the servers adding random shit... Hope they add a proper filter to only select clean servers.

Survival mode should be fun, and probably easier (=shorter) to map for at first.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    cant wait to map for this :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, I've got the perfect scenario. A Left 4 Dead campaign that takes you through a large elementary school, complete with playground, gymnasium, lunch room, classrooms, auditorium, and littered with teeny-tiny ankle-biter zombie children. Replace the super-zombies with various faculty members. The smokers are teachers, the boomers are custodians, the tanks are security guards, and the hunters are athletic instructors. The witch is that one really mean, skinny old teacher that we all had at one point.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    First: Over the past several years, anytime anyone has brought up the idea of a Polycount game mod...nothing happens. It'll amount to 5+ pages of ideas, and no execution.

Second: It's possible to mod L4D now. Valve "releasing" the SDK, just means they're going to set it up for you so it's easy to do. As the "custom" SDKs prove, you can do it yourself...or find someone else who has. Example...creating new maps for Portal was possible long before they released the SDK. It just wasn't as easy. There may be a few features missing, like getting the campaigns set up...but mapping is there. There are some great mods already that change the gameplay rules, and remove the bots. http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:dokus-survival-mod-for-left-4-dead&catid=2:news

Third: Awesome. Finally!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Maybe survivial is something like invasion/horde, never ending waves of zombies come running at you and every wave they get more at once! :D

that'd be too easy, just get into any corner and fight with melee, no zombie can stand that you don't get harmed at all, melee is too powerfull for ordinary zombies
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye, that's all fine and well in *theory neox. till someone throws a molo and it bounces back into your face, the wall next to you caves in, and all hell breaks loose
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    First: Over the past several years, anytime anyone has brought up the idea of a Polycount game mod...nothing happens. It'll amount to 5+ pages of ideas, and no execution.

Well, it's all about organization, and motivation. If you can keep those two elements rolling, than it would be entirely possible to pull off. Of course, organization requires that there be at least one person who really takes the helm and spearheads such an effort. And with business being what it is right now, very few members are going to have the time for something like that.

The motivation is considerably easier to handle. Just work on a mod as a series of rolling contests. Let the community vote on which entries they think are the best, and whether or not they think an entry should be included in the mod. Start it off with something core, like levels. Then have a character contest, and then a prop contest. Get a couple of members to work on getting the qualifying entries into the engine, and boom. You're done.

Probably the biggest issue would be the almost certain lack of artistic cohesion. But it would still be awfully interesting.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    There are allready mods that change the skins or change the weapons code but you always need to replace your files and then you cant play online anymore. I would so love to replace the models and put a big twist on it.

@ Richard Kain
    Would be allready great if a contest includes that you need to put your entry into any game.
    Neox wrote: »
    that'd be too easy, just get into any corner and fight with melee, no zombie can stand that you don't get harmed at all, melee is too powerfull for ordinary zombies
    Yeah, you can always hide with the other survivers in a closet and beat all zombies to death that try to get in there. But i guess the special infected will be also in that mode and getting trapped with a tank in a small closet doesnt turn out good. ;) Still, defendeing your position all the time could get boring very quick, Im curious what Survival will really be.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    rooster wrote: »
    aye, that's all fine and well in *theory neox. till someone throws a molo and it bounces back into your face, the wall next to you caves in, and all hell breaks loose

simple thing, unless there are special infected... don't use any other weapons but melee :P
  • diZzyWalnut
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok that 3d this looks sweet!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey does anyone know if the 3D mod is any good and where do i get 3d glasses?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    No clue, and 1957
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I got a pair of 3d glasses from trackmania. I dont like using them though, I feel they mess with the eyes too much and my eyes are already messed up enough as it is :(
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    from that link: Proper 3D. Like, you need the red & blue glasses and everything.

I just looked at that screenshot with red and blue glasses and it is not 3Do_0
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Survival sounds just like invasion. Almost at the end:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=48&ch=1&sd=0

The new versus maps are only the locked campaigns. I hope atleast the 12 survival maps are brand new and not just taken from the campaigns.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Survival sounds just like invasion. Almost at the end:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=48&ch=1&sd=0

The new versus maps are only the locked campaigns. I hope atleast the 12 survival maps are brand new and not just taken from the campaigns.

looks like they are...:(
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty happy for the DLC. Although I wanted more maps also, the size and degree of detail in them is insane and I can understand how long it could take to keep recreating a certain length in a level.

Seriously, this is the fastest DLC to come out from Valve other than patches. I'm happy