Home Technical Talk

Can't run Roadkill script from Maya 2009?

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
As the thread title says, I'm having trouble loading Roadkill from Maya 2009. I even tried browsing to the plug in and I see the code in the mel window, but I still don't think it loads it correctly; my biggest clue is that I don't get the small window that pops up when the guy in the tutorial types "roadkill" in the command line >_<

I'm pretty sure it's something really stupid on my part, but any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    if it still does not work you can always export as OBJ and then work on that and import it back once you are done.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    do you see any warnings or errors in the Maya Script editor? those usually indicate what has gone wrong.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    renderhjs wrote: »
    if it still does not work you can always export as OBJ and then work on that and import it back once you are done.

That's what I've been doing so far, but I think Maya's ui (especially when it comes to moving uv islands around) is easier to use.
    MoP wrote: »
    do you see any warnings or errors in the Maya Script editor? those usually indicate what has gone wrong.

Ah right. Forgot to mention this, probably because I subconsciously thought it would sound stupid (it is stupid)... The right hand side part of the command line gives me a message that the script was not found - thing is, I even tried browsing for it to load it and no little "roadkill" window popped up.

I did copy the script practically everywhere, but I guess the one place I didn't try is the one where I should have. Any suggestions?

And thanks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the Roadkill installer came with a readme saying where to install the MEL file?
    I think you put it just in the regular "My Documents/maya/scripts" folder.

Also make sure you're not typing the command name wrongly, be aware that it is case sensitive so "myCmd" is not the same as "mycmd".
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I tried both typing "Roadkill" and "roadkill" and have the script installed both in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\2009-x64\scripts and C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\scripts...

I'm running Maya 2009 x64 btw... Any other suggestions?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Take a look at the Maya.env file, also, take a look at the other system environment variables for Maya (Right-click "My Computer">Properties>Advanced Tab>Environment Variables). The script may have borked it and it's not pointing to the executable.

Also, the command to launch the script is "RoadKill;". remove the quotes. Also, you may have to do this to launch it (copy EXACTLY as it's written below):
    source RoadKill.mel;
    RoadKill;

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Lamont, thanks for the post man. I had to go visit my grandfather in the hospital which means I haven't been and won't be home for some days yet, but I'll try it your way soon as I'm back home. Thanks!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Lamont wrote: »
    Take a look at the Maya.env file, also, take a look at the other system environment variables for Maya (Right-click "My Computer">Properties>Advanced Tab>Environment Variables). The script may have borked it and it's not pointing to the executable.

Also, the command to launch the script is "RoadKill;". remove the quotes. Also, you may have to do this to launch it (copy EXACTLY as it's written below):
    source RoadKill.mel;
    RoadKill;

I just got back home, typed RoadKill; in the command line, and voila the RoadKill window popped up! Thanks a bunch mate!

/edit lol I completely missed the "K" so I was typing "Roadkill" this whole time...