Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Eraserhead

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
Sup PC

I finally got my site back up several days ago. Most of the work on it I have been posting in the WAYWOT.

I essentially have two versions of it, and I would like to here your opinions on which is better.

The current default is : www.peperaart.com

An alternate version is www.peperaart.com/indexx.html

The alternate version is largely broken, most of the navigation buttons don't work, and there could be some broken images. These are known issues, but it gets the point across as far as site layout and everything would be fixed in the final site.

Also, in about a year or so, I will probably be able to start showing my professional work, so the content on the site will expand about 2 fold to accommodate the new art, this may cause problems to the single HTML page version.

So anyway, I would appreciate any comments or crits, but I would be especially grateful to hear any ideas you guys would have on the presentation of the work and which of those site formats is best, if any.

Cheers,
P

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    First off, totally awesome work.

Second, I like the site with the thumbnails so I can pick and choose what to view, but (my personal opinion is) I can't tell what to expect from the thumbnails due to it's zoom level

I also like the first site where all of it is in one page, but maybe in the long run it'll become too large as you mentioned, so I'm leaning toward the thumbnail version

anyways.. bookmarked and adding the pics to my inspiration folder! :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, the default looks good to me.
    Your work is stellar man, really inspirational! I wish I could see your professional stuff.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    nice portfolio!
    my preference with the website is the single page, because with those thumbnail sites I open every image in a seperate tab before going through them anyway.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no thumb version = best
    personally this is how i like to view a portfolio, just scroll through all of the work at once, it should all be worth viewing, so i like to take it all in without needing to click back and forth 47 times.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Really great work dude, love the first vehicle. I like the single page too, you easily can see all the work and all the details.

thumbs up!
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the site with the thumbs works better for me.

Nice work dude.

-J
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Wicked Stuff man.

One thing is, make the font bigger. Can hardly read it -_-
  • Bobbeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobbeh polycounter lvl 10
    No thumbs ftw no one likes click-clicking all over the place.

If your worried about there being too much content you could have your older stuff on a seperate single page layout with links to both.

P.S. Don't listen to everyone your stuffs not that good...

...jk
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work! I prefer the no thumbs because people will get caught scrolling all the way through and seeing all of your work instead of picking and choosing.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    thumbs up, your work speaks for itself
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    amazing work.

I also think the one without the thumbnails.

thumbnails look neat and impressive but having all the work there loaded just to scroll through is much more of a wow. awesome!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love your high poly models! guess you love the army related things!,i also do!
    Vj
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing stuff man. Need your render set up NOW! :)
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    wow mixed reactions. just what you wanted :P
    if you could make the thumbs bigger and fill the entire page it might change peoples mind to thumbs. it took ages to load all the images on the giant page
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I really like your work. You're models and their presentation is great. I'd want to see more texture work though. I prefer the first of the two links shared.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The light texture overlays on the renders is a nice touch, it makes them look less uniform and more interesting.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Top notch work there. Great job. If you can post wires from those tanks that would be excellent.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    Decent stuff, your AIM name is a bit funny tho, aim.gif: kurwapaul . Any polish ppl around here who might get what i mean? :D

I like the first version of your folio better, the thumbs from the second one are like someone mentioned, too small.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work and great job on both of the sites man. I prefer the 2nd one but you cant go wrong with either one of them. Inspiring stuff man :-)
  • Ali Rahimi Shahmirzadi
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    nice stuff - i would kick some of the older stuff (ex. the maschinen krieger stuff) these are just not on par with your newer&better models.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, i'm not even polish and i know what "kurwa" means... I have worked with Polish guys :)

really nice portfolio, Eraserhead - solid highpoly modelling stuff, and great presentation / rendering.

Some of your texture work seems like it reduces the quality you've reached in the highpoly though, for example that mech seems to lose a lot of the detail and polish when textured, it just starts to look a bit flat and bland.
    It's clear you've mastered highpoly work, if you can bring your textures up to that level too then you'll be unstoppable :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice modeling

some things I noticed:
    - http://www.tryptychstudios.com/ links to a spam website
    - just technical modeling- hardly any textuing, organics and concepts. At least quality texturing and mapping examples/ skills would be a good addition. It would complement your models alot if they were nice texturized.

the thumbnail version sums things nice up that way I get a better view of what you did/have in total. The direct version with images under each other is proably easier to view for the first time - because 90% of it is pretty awesome so its likely people will scroll through it completely.

From a webdesign perspective I constantly have to think about matrix which is 90`s and so does your design look early webdesign generation with matrix green black colors (hard contrast) and TImesNewRoman alike font. Not so sure how important that is to you but personally I would go for much more harmony in regards of colors and a sans-serif font because serif fonts only fit literature and non-modern content. You have alot of sci-fi and technical stuff so a more technical and modern font would fit better besides that it often reads better on screens.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone, they are very helpful. Seems like the first site format is the more popular one.

lol, I was wondering if anyone here would get my AIM name. ;) It's an old account back from high school, I hardly use AIM anymore so I think I'll just take it off.

The font size was mentioned by a few other people as well, I'll make it larger since it does look particularly small on a large resolution.

renderhjs, you always give good crits. The tryptychstudios site is still down, I'm setting it up currently so it should be up soon. I tried several fonts for the header and I eventually settled on a grunge-ish serif font; I originally had on a more sleak, sans serif font but I thought it looked too cliche. Either way, none of the stuff on this site is final so I'll continue working on a graphic design, the last thing I want is it distracting from the actual work

The texture work is clearly the weakest link, and is what I will be concentrating on next. Lately I've been focusing most of my attention at my high poly work, at the expense of other fronts, so I'll be going back to texturing and materials. I'll also be trashing some of the older work.

Thanks again guys ;)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    truly inspiring and clean work , thanks for sharing, i love how it is, no need to change, who cares it has a serif font or not. I just want to see more stuff from you ;)
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Amazing work man. The high poly is inspiring stuff!! I have to say my favourite part is your texture work on your german tanks. Any possibility I could see the wires and the texture sheets for them?
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny & A-Train: Danke :) If you go to the alternate site (www.peperaart.com/indexx.html) I have some texture flats and wires from the tanks in there.
  • hadidjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah polycounter lvl 8
    Your stuff is gorgeous, but I have to agree that more wireframes or at least tricounts would help a lot.

And personally I like the thumbnail version of the website better, just bigger thumbnails please.:P
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. your stuff is so great. inspiring. makes me want to start some wwii nazi machinery. hah.

also, i prefer the website without thumbnails. less clicking makes me happy...

but really sweet stuff.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hadidjah , 00Zero: Thanks :)

I'm working on the site atm. I added some construction shots to the thumbnail-less page; also, I added a section on the bottom for some of my RO mod tanks + texture flats. Hoping to give the portfolio more depth. I also increased the font size. Still experimenting with what looks best.

May need to refresh the page to see the update.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm so you like tanks? correction you like tanks with abnormally awesome highpoly nice stuff wish i had the skills for hardbodies you have

-Woog
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    impressive stuff man