Home Technical Talk

Corrigated roofing workflow questions

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
corrugated metal - does anyone have suggestions for a good workflow for something like in this ref:

3113143134_5b2f8f9334_b.jpg

I would like to have several pieces of metal.
- the rest of the scene is going to be normal mapped. should i bother making a normal map with the corrugated stuff?
- for a current gen scene, how many tris should i be spending on each piece?
- any other tips greatly appreciated.

thanks for the help!!

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    im interested in this subject too, I have no idea whats proper, but looking at putting this in a game engine makes me think that the most you could devote to a single corrigated piece at 1.5m square is like 2-4 tris? especially since shanty towns like this will have 100's or more pieces of corrigated roofs.

I think I would have the normal mapped texture on a large plane of 2 tris, then at the edge of the roof, cut and bend that piece down to make - another 2 tries - and have that smaller edge overhang a bit. I would make the roof peak much steeper than in your pic. this way you will have the sheets pointing down more giving you a perpendicular view to make it easy at opacity mapping the wavvy edge of the corrigated sheet.

I have no idea if thats right, there is probably a better way, but i think modeling the thickness of the sheet is probably not good for the budget.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Microneezia:

I totally agree about not adding any depth to the pieces, but seeing as the pieces on the smaller extension in front will be really close to the player - don't you think i will need more than 2 tris per piece?
    I was thinking that i would have to spend a little extra (+100 tris a piece) on the roofing otherwise it would look like crap. the building itself is pretty low already - - coming in at 1300 tris. I could spend a the same amount on the roof?? i'm not too sure.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    For the wiggly edges I'd just make a bent lip and alpha that shit out.
    yes for the normal bump if that's supported.