Home Technical Talk

modo Script: quickAlignUVs.pl

New script :)

I'm not really a scripter by trade so if it breaks, don't kill me (but let me know).

Description;
It's a script that will align the UV island(s) of 1 selected UV edge or any 2 selected UV verts with the nearest axis*

It's a companion for modo's default "Orient UVs" tool, which isn't always perfect, especially on organic shapes.

Example;
quickAlignUVs.jpg

Download;
http://www.farfarer.com/temp/quickAlignUVs.zip

NOTE:
It's not foolproof.
Selecting a boundary edge or vertices in the 3D viewport then running the script in the UV viewport will give the wrong results.
Similarly, selecting several vertices in the UV viewport and running the script will give wrong results.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eep, I've just realised a last minute change I made to the script messed up it's ability to align just an edge on it's own. It always aligned the entire UV island regardless.

I've fixed it and re-uploaded. So if you've downloaded this, you might want to re-download it (same address as the link above) :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is exactly what I want in Max, but apparently it doesn't exist, heh. I'll probably just bother some coworkers about it, there's a few who script.
    Since I just downloaded the Modo demo though (and it was free! Man, imagine that. Crazy!) this post is more than just inconsequential rambling about other software. Not much more, mind.
    I'll give this a go later. Thanks!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    i am actually working on something like that in 3dsmax - Aligning to the counter edge is also planned. As soon as I have more free time to spend I will give it another try