Home General Discussion

Simple Question - Plasma or LCD

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
I'm in the market for a new tv. My old one is about 8 years old it's a GIANT 40 inch CRT. The thing is like 2 feet deep and weighs a million pounds.

I'm not looking to break the bank, but now is a pretty decent time to buy a tv as the prices seem to still be dropping. 40-48 inch tv's run about 999 in Canada which is about my budget. I might even cross into Buffalo if I can save THAT much on a tv.

But the question is do I go for Plasma or an LCD or any other types. I'm pretty new to flatscreens and really don't know the advantages or disadvantages of either.

The TV is primarily for Movies/Sports/Xbox (in that order).

Any suggestions?

edit: While we're at it anyone particular with a certain brand? I'm looking at an Aquos (which is Sharp). But I've also always been a fan of Panasonic. Not the biggest Sony fan though.

Replies

• chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.highdefforum.com/
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
    ive done alot of research on forums,
    posting 2 links above i use,
    went into store and looked at lcd and plasma both,
    asked around alot on people who own them both,
    ive heard sports games look better on plasma,
    for gaming plasma doesnt lag what ive been told and lcd does sometimes,
    dont let plasma burn in scare you away,
    the new one have a white wash to fix the burn in if it happens,
    after looking at both i think plasma has more true colors,
    every one has there own opinion,
    here are 2 plasma im looking at getting soon,
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PFUO0/ref=s9_sims_c4_s2_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0AJZYXPPADTCTTSQ54SK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383411&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]
    Samsung PN50A650
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TH-50PZ85U-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00142MUEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233264854&sr=1-1[/ame]
    Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV
    ive looked at both plasma listed above and they look the same on picture quality etc,
    just waiting for the price to come down little more to buy the cheaper one,
    maybe this link will help as well LCD vs. Plasma,
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MbZgQVcyjP9/learn/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html
    hope this helps some,
    Thanks,
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I have three LCDs and I love them all (sound like my children).
    I game on two of them (52" and 46") and I don't notice any lagging. I'm sure if I were paying attention, I might be able to see bits of motion blur, but in all reality, when you're playing, you don't notice anything.
    In all reality, plasma is probably a better product for picture, but there are so many negative things that I hear about plasma, that I honestly have little confidence in buying one. IMO, there wasn't enough of an image difference to make me willing to deal with any plasma related issues down the road.

I actually heard word that Europe may ban Plasmas... can anyone from Europe confirm this?

My recommendation... go to the store and look at the TVs. Make sure you stand back from the TV the same distance that you'll be viewing it at. Some look crappier close up, but great from 12ft away.

I recommend staying focused on Sharp, Pioneer, or Sony. Sharp is usually the most affordable though. Also, make sure to look at reviews at http://www.cnet.com
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I learned that Plasma screens eat tons of electricity for breakfast. and that sometimes pixels burn (the solution they came up with for that: make the screen drift a little bit all the time so the pixels change every now and then). LCD's are just some liquid crystals that are.. just cool :D.

Then again, i still have an old monitor that is frying my brain by shooting electrons at me.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    EU and Australia looking into banning plasma tv's for massive electrical use, in most cases they use more power than a freezer. hot damn.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/F4B3J3M5

i guess we'll see :) im looking into LCDs right now myself.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i love my lcd, can leave that sucker on for hours with no worry of burn in, ive had it for 2 years now, its a trooper. that tv will most likely last me 8 more years. i only buy samsung screens, for tvs and monitors
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I love our Samsung LCD TV. I did some reading also and plasma has that burn in problem.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Japhir wrote: »
    I learned that Plasma screens eat tons of electricity for breakfast. and that sometimes pixels burn (the solution they came up with for that: make the screen drift a little bit all the time so the pixels change every now and then). LCD's are just some liquid crystals that are.. just cool :D.

Then again, i still have an old monitor that is frying my brain by shooting electrons at me.

lol... lcd burns pixels too you know.

facts about both to be considdered:
    LCD displays colour via a backlight, which means black is never truly black, because it's lit.
    Plasma displays colour by reflecting light along with a backlight through a gas, and can achieve a better contrast because of it.

LCD has a lifespan of 70,000 hours, or there abouts. which is about 38 years of 5 hours a day, every day of the year viewing.
    Plasma has around 30,000 hours lifespan, or about 16 years.

LCD is lighter, and if you're going for wall mounting, the bracket will be cheaper... though if you want a good one, price shouldn't be an option there anyway.

Viewing angles on Plasma tend to be better because of how they display colour.

finally, try not to trust the in-store readings of contrast ratios, they are HIGHLY inflated.

best piece of advice i can give is find a set which is asthetically pleasing, but make sure it's one of the big brands. a lot of manufacturers source their materials from each other, very few make their own gear exclusively.

example: samsung sell their LCD panels to LG, Sony, and other lesser known names. while LG and Sony use their own chipsets for the actual display (sony tend to look better because of this).
    Philips sell audio parts to other brands, but buy in their screens.
    Pioneer, and Panasonic manufacture all their parts exclusively. and are shit hot when it comes to Plasma technology.

if you want to use it as a pc screen at any time, make sure you find out the native resolution.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Amusingly enough I work at an electronics store so I have some fat info on the q-tip. Word.

I never recommend plasmas to anyone that plays video games or plans on using the tv as a giant monitor. The screen can burn pixels in the screen. LCDs can do this as well but it takes way longer for it to go down. Also, Plasma tvs run off a gas that is similar to neon and will slowly lose color saturation as well as brightness over time. I like LCD way better.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    praetus wrote: »
    Also, Plasma tvs run off a gas that is similar to neon and will slowly lose color saturation as well as brightness over time.

uhhh might want to actually research that, instead of quoting a busted myth spread by people claiming they could "re-gas" your plasma screen at a meager fee.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and additionally, the burn in is a continuing myth too. Well, sort of. It was a problem at one time, but plasmas now do pixel switching at a rate that isn't visible to the human eye. It prevents burn-in.
  • Wells
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plasmas have a much shorter half-life than LCDs. So at a certain point their picture will fade and become terrible. LCDs should last a lot longer than plasmas. This may have improved quite a bit, or the half-life may be so long on plasmas now that it isnt an issue, but its something to look into.

I've got a 37" 720p sharp aquos. Aquos' have by far the best image quality i've seen on any tv. Gauss has the 46" 1080 model, and holy fuck is that beast huge and awesome. If you want quality picture, viewing angle, contrast, good blacks, etc check out the aquos line.

edit: boo samsung! My old roomate samsung for about a year before i got my aquos, and the aquos was superior in every regard. But i haven't seen those new ones, are they really that good?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    and additionally, the burn in is a continuing myth too. Well, sort of. It was a problem at one time, but plasmas now do pixel switching at a rate that isn't visible to the human eye. It prevents burn-in.
    The one at work got the Guitar Hero UI burnt into it several times after being left on for an entire weekend. They did manage to fix it though. I'm not sure of the procedure. That said, if you're not going to leave the thing on the same screen for two and a half days, you probably won't have too mnay problems.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, in worse case scenarios, there is a menu option on most of the plasmas, to reburn the whole screen by setting it to a solid white screen for a set period. I'm also not sure if ALL manufacturers have implemented that pixel switching procedure. It was something I head read as the fix that was getting implemented.

Again though, these are reasons I didn't have much confidence in buying a plasma. Hell, look at most stores (at least in this area), and they hardly carry any plasmas (if at all).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went LCD. Cheaper, looked just as good (to me) I have yet to have someone sit in my living room and complain about the color. Maybe my friends have crappier tv's or are color blind... or maybe regular people who don't get caught up in tech specs and flaming fanboi threads don't notice. /shrug

The lifespan and burn in where issues for me. A plasma I looked at in the store actually had a little bit of burn in going. Two where sitting side by side, and you could tell which one was newer. Sure they leave them on all the time but still you have to figure that the lifespan of a typical TV vs how long its been sitting in the store? Thats a pretty short time to suffer from some burn in...

My wife stays home M-F with our daughter and the TV is on most of the day. It doesn't get a break when I'm home with her on the weekends either. So we'd probably actually burn out a plasma. For something we use so much we had to be sure it would last. Our last TV made it 12years before being replaced.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    It was believed that plasma was better for sports back in the day, but who knows now I feel they're too similar these days.

Plasma has a truer black, lcd can get close to black, but not completely black.

We have 3 lcd tvs in the house, my brother has a 20" samsung... very nice, 720p, crisp, excellent contrast.

My sharp aquos 32" 720p/1080i I love this tv, very nice contrast ratio, though not as good as the same sized samsung, but I felt the picture quality was better over the samsung, ymmv.

a 40" samsung 720p/1080i very nice picture, contrast and brightness, though we haven't subscribed to HDTV yet, we're enjoying our consoles on it, and I'm enjoying a few downloaded anime at 720p.

If you decide you want 1080p, I think only blueray supports it completely, so you'd have to get a bluray player and hdmi cables (get them off ebay, don't pay the ridiculous prices)

Also depending on your viewing distance and screen size, 1080p might not make a whole lot of difference. Generally the closer you get to the tv and the bigger the screen, the more you notice on 1080p.

When you go shopping, measure your viewing distance in the room you want to put the tv in and then try to compare the screens at the same distance.

There's also someplace that lists all the hardware manufacturers everybody is using...

samsung makes stuff for sony
    sharp is sharp
    LG is phillips

and the rest I don't know about.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Wow lots of negatives for plasma. Vig, where did you find a cheaper LCD? It seems in the 46-50" range the plasmas are coming in considerably cheaper than the LCD's. But from the talk here it seems LCD really is the way to go despite the 'truer' blacks from a plasma. I'm not too hard on my tv currently it only gets 'on-time' a few hours a day for the odd shows I watch and then pretty much a full day of Sunday Football! :) I'm less concerned about burning out a plasma than I am with this talk that it eats electricity for breakfast. That could be an issue in the forseeable future vis a vie my electricity bills.

If I get 1080p do I HAVE to have all the HD cables and such? Currently I'm not too worried about blu-ray. Eventually I'll get a ps3 and convert my collection but for now I'm all 360 + regular dvd's.

I've read quite a bit of good things on the Samsungs and my friend has a Sharp Aquos that is awesome so I'll likely be going with 1 of those two brands.

The weight and such is less likely of an issue. I'm in between residences now so I'm not looking to punch holes in the walls of this place and hang a tv (yet).
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    As an owner of several LCDs & Plasmas, I think I can offer perfectly legit points about both. This is ignoring price altogether. My current 42" Samsung Plasma in my living room was only $700 after shipping, so you can find a good LCD or Plasma for the same price.

Plasma:

Pros:
    Better colors
    Better black levels
    SD Content typically looks better

Cons:
    Energy usage
    Burn in
    Heavy

LCD:

Pros:
    Lighter
    At the same price point of the Plasma, typically has a higher resolution
    No burn in
    Less energy usage

Cons:
    Dull colors
    Blacks are actually dark gray
    SD content looks worse than plasma (typically)

Summary:
    After owning several types of TVs and helping many friends make similar purchases, I can say that Plasma has a nicer picture. Even if you have the choice of a 720p Plasma vs a 1080p LCD, I would go with a Plasma any day. The contrast and colors blow away an LCD and there's a much, much higher chance that you'll notice poor colors and blacks before you'll notice the difference between 720p and 1080p, especially if you're not close to your TV.

I will say, however, that burn in IS a huge pain in the ass. I've owned two Plasmas and burn in has been in issue on both. The burn in I experience always goes away after watching something else for a while, but sometimes it's a pain in the ass to see life bars while watching a movie right after I get done playing Street Fighter HD Remix. Also, sometimes the burn is a bit worse and I have to use this thing built into my TV that displays a scrolling white image to get rid of it. Extremely bad burn in takes a few hours while moderate only takes about an hour. It's definitely something to consider if you plan on using it for computer output, but it's not really an issue with many games.

To me, I can put up with burn in because the image is so much sexier on a Plasma, but if you're not a big movie guy and you like to watch news all day, go with LCD. If you like the best quality and you can deal with some issues to get it, go with Plasma.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to get 1080i/p you'll need component or HDMI cables. Your XBox should have the component cables. Your TV will 'smart stretch' regular broadcast, so it will fill the screen. Whatever you do, DON'T BUY HDMI AT THE STORE! Get it on ebay or just about anywhere online. You shouldn't pay over $10 for an HDMI cable, and most stores still try to get $70 minimum.
    Oh, and I've read that the 360 will upconvert your DVDs after one of the recent software updates. I haven't tried it yet, but my upconverting makes my DVDs look great at 1080i.

I think the component cables only get you to 1080i, not p, but you probably won't know the difference.

A forewarning though, stretched regular broadcast looked like crap to me initially, then I adjusted to it pretty quickly. Now I use AT&T's uverse HD and it looks pretty damn sweet. Also remember, there is HD broadcasted over the air. It has a limited range, so you'll have to check your area... especially in Canada. I'm not sure if they've been updating their broadcasts. The US is requiring the change, and most broadcasters have already changed.

Personally, I think they know plasma is going to fail in the market, thus the lower prices. It is cheaper, but at these prices, the $100 isn't that big of a bargain IMO.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    notman wrote: »

We've had a few of the plasma tvs at work get the screens burned in when having a display set up. Pixel shift helps much more than it used to be but isn't a fail safe cure.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its funny, people always say that plasmas have better contrast, true blacks, better picture. But whenever i see one in a store, next to an LCD the plasmas always look washed out with worse picture quality. Dunno what the deal is? Talking about at best buy or a similar store.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    We've had a few of the plasma tvs at work get the screens burned in when having a display set up. Pixel shift helps much more than it used to be but isn't a fail safe cure.
    Ahhh, I've only read/heard about it online tech shows. I'll trust your real world experience ;)

The contrast really depends on the manufacturer, and whatever a-hole was last 'tuning' the TV. Most plasmas I've seen DO have better blacks and contrast, but I've also seen a Pioneer LCD that had beautiful blacks and contrast, but it was mucho cash.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dude, pioneer are insanely good at their shit, but you pay for it.

plasma will actually display a better picture than lcd. the reason they don't look like it in stores is down to one thing:

profit margin.

plasma costs more to build than lcd, and because of that, when they are similarly priced at point of sale, most buisinesses will try to make the more profitable look good.

walk into a panasonic centre, and look at their plasma/lcd displays. their plasma screens look the tits.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so what you're saying is similarly priced plasmas will look nowhere near as good as their lcd counterparts? or that they are simply set up poorly?

I mean its pretty moot if you have to pay 3x more to get the "real" plasma tech that is *actually* better than lcds.