Home Technical Talk

UT3 - Texture sharing between static mesh

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello!

I have a 2048 texture for large object A. I also have a much smaller object B.

I will have object A and object B appearing many times in the level.

There is room on object A's 2048 texture to hold object B's much smaller UV islands.

If I was to texture object B separately it would be half the size or smaller than the 2048 size.

Will I be improving the level performance by combining the 2 objects on one texture and loading the texture into both objects?

I am not sure if the ut3 level loads the texture for object A and then it becomes free to use for any other object in the level,... or is it that every time I instance object B another 2048 texture is loaded? Which would mean a seperate smaller texture for object B would be more economical...

Thanks!

Replies

• Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    If the texture is called and loaded into the level, it's called in. So it would be better if you have the room to spare to put them both on the same texture page.

However, let's say you are streaming one area out and then only using the smaller object. It "might" be better then if they were separate textures then, depending on your budget for that streamed in area. But if you aren't using any sort of streaming the cost is still the same to use one texture map for two (or more) objects.

You might be better off using a 2048x1024 for object A, and then a 1024x1024 for object B. The overall size would be smaller than a 2048x2048. (Image size, actual bytes I'm not sure but it should be as well)

If you could combine both object's spec maps, normal maps etc. as well, then it would obviously be a bigger save to then go ahead and put them both together.