Home Technical Talk

Seperate UV Island in 2nd Map channel how?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
Hello there,

I have my object mapped in Channel 1 for diffuse and normal. There are seams everywhere. I want to select the polygons around the seam and re-map ONLY those polygons on Channel 2. This way I can erase the seam in PS.

So my stack looks like this.

UVW map 2 - the map sees only the polys I have selected below)
Edit poly ( I have the specific polys selected in sub object here)
UVW Map 1 everything is mapped here typically
Edit Poly (no sub-object selections)

So its semi-working how I want however I do not have access to the UVW map Channel 2 plannar mapping tools. I can hit the "edit" button and see my UV island and that only the polys I selected in the "edit Poly" modifier below are present, however I cant map them.

Im sure you have seen that when you forget you are in sub-object and you throw a UVW map on top of that edit poly sub-object the options are grey'd out. Ive done it by accident a bunch, but now I am doing it on purpose and was wondering how I can get by this roadblock.

I guess the short question is this. How do I take a specific selection of polys from an entirely mapped object and single out those polys to be mapped on another channel without bringing the rest of the UV's from same object with me into channel 2?

Thanks!

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok answer my own question... sorry...

The stack goes like this for those also confused

UVW Mapping modifier - change to channel 2 and make Planar map ect ect.
    Unwrap UVW - not much can be done here - but change to channel 2
    Edit Poly - sub-object selections for map 2 here
    Unwrap UVW - map channel 1
    Edit Poly - no sub-object selections

sorry for the false start on this thread....
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max is going nuts on me now... RTT is rendering stuff that isnt really mapped that way...

micron fail.

anyone here eliminate seams this way?
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    you dont need to isolate the polies along the seam before you unwrap to channel 2. just unwrap the whole object to uv channel 2(remember to colapse or save channel 1 if you're in an earlier version of max), scale what you dont need way down then in RTT bake out to channel 2 and start painting out those seams.

once you've painted out the seams you can apply the new texture to just those polies that you're working with, then in the RTT window bake out to channel 1 for your final texture.

you can work this way with a single UVW modifier.

edit: come to think of it. maybe just look here :) its a tutorial with pictures http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061019/kojesta_01.shtml
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the pointers there, I see what you mean now...

I found this tutorial: Cornerofthedreamingmonkey

Its actually much better than that Gamasutra tutorial you mention.

I was actually working directly off that Gamasutra tut... the author is not doing it the same way as you mention tho. Course it was written in 2006 so that might be why there is a problem, perhaps max has changed, or maybe its just my pea sized brain.

either way i finally got it, thanks for your response!