Home Technical Talk

Man, I'm stumped...(3dS keyboard issue)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
So i've run into a bit of a productivity blocker...

All keyboard functions seems to have stopped working while in MAX. none of the Shortcut keys work, although I am still able to enter values into datafields. The only key that seems to do anything is ALT, which highlights my menu bar...as if the windows system shortcuts are overriding my application shortcuts.

Anyone have a thought? Max restarts and UI reverts result in no love.

Replies

• AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Try restarting your PC.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah...and restarting doesnt help
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look up in your main menu bar for a button called "keyboard shortcut override" it looks like a keyboard key. If its on, turn it off. If its off, toggle it on then off, sometimes it gets turned on (not sure if there's a shortcut for it or not) and doesn't update the button.

It basically tells max to ignore the main max shortcuts and override them with the submenu shortcuts. So normally CTRL-S is save, but if you have edit poly active and keyboard shortcut override is on, it will toggle soft select instead. Super annoying the first time you run across it.

Hope that solves your issue =)
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig you rock. One less Max noob problem to deal with. Thanks
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol! thanks, got it.

Now i'm running into another situation...ALL shortcuts work fine, but the Transform gizmo shortcuts aren't working. They're still assigned correctly...so whattheefff

Am i being a nub again or what?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinner.jpg
    This might be set to something funky? Try setting it to view, world or local. Also check out the button to the right of the pivot drop down, it effects the way the pivot(s) are handled. It's normally set to the top option like shown above. The pivot system is great in 3dsmax, once you get past the "WTF is it doing?!" I especially like making use of the working pivot.

Also know that every object has two sets of pivots a master object "world space" pivot. you see this when you're not in a sub object mode like edit poly vert mode. In general if you want to move/rotate the object don't grab the element and move it, the object pivot will stay where it originally was, but exit sub object mode and them move the object.

You can reset the object pivot by going to the utilities tab (hammer) and clicking reset Xform > reset selected. Then collapse your modifier stack. You can also recenter the pivot by going to the hierarchy tab and (3 linked boxes) and clicking affect pivot only > Center to object.