Home Technical Talk

Zbrush inorganics?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DEElekgolo interpolator
I have seen some great mechanical sculputres made in zbrush but I never got around to how they made perfect 45 degree or 90 degree angles? These arent on flat surfaces either so i dont think they would be made using projection master.
Cyborg_rapid_prototyping_ready_by_mojette.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=94696

Also the crossing designs on this.
LT_TorlanWall.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That 2nd image there isn't Zbrush at all, as far as I can tell. That's all modelled in 3ds max.
    The 1st image certainly doesn't have any perfectly 90 degree angles - most of what you see can be done using tools like Lazy Mouse (smooths the brush to make it more regular) or custom Alpha masks (square sided images).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Most 90 degrees or more generally speaking, sharp hard shapes extruded on Zbrush models come either from :

-Masks created by polygon selections performed at a low or medium subdivision level> delete hidden>store morphtarget>inflate>create diff between morph
    (mask can also be create by applying a random 90degrees scifi black and white texture on a model with UVs automatically generated with ZB - thats the trademark Meats technique)
    This technique ensures that whatever sharp edge you create 'flows' with the model, since it is generated from its own topology.

-Masks drawn straight on the model or imported from photoshop stencils>inflate or move.

-Sharp sub objects imported in and projected with either projection master or the transfer 'rubbing on' brush.

Look for posts by Sebcesoir and Meats on ZBCentral.

Good luck!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I dont believe that UT3 model was made w/ ZB
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    How would I make them in mudbox then?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL they're saying it wasn't sculpted, it was just built, by hand, in a modeling package (likely max)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You wouldn't make walls like that in mudbox.
    You could make the head but like people have said you would use alphas (stencils) and masking to get those effects, along with the "draw along spline" tool that I think Mudbox has.