Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1859 army-iissued Magnum (WIP)

I'm modeling a gun for a mod and I need some advice so I can keep going in the right direction.

gun_render2.jpg
gun_render3.jpg
gun_render4.jpg

Having some issues with lighting in some areas. Also, is there a website out there that I can use for accurate gun references? I think I nailed the outside of it correctly but some of the inner mechanisms (such as the wench holds the cartridge barrel) I haven't found anything to accurately model on. My team leader said he'd like the gun to be able to be animated.

Since the grip is wood and the barrel/base is metallic should I use two shaders for each?

Replies

• vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can u specify the spec that u are planning for this gun?
    are you gonna make normal maps for this?if so some of the loops u have now are not feasible for that.in that case you need to nice flow of loops.Since this is a hard surface model,you can very well detail this out in maya itself.
    I would also recommend you to gather the most references as possible. I dont really know specific sites for the gun refs.I am sure that google should give u the link for the same.
    Keep us posted with ur progress,so that we can further take this.

Vj
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    vj_box wrote: »
    are you gonna make normal maps for this?if so some of the loops u have now are not feasible for that.in that case you need to nice flow of loops.Since this is a hard surface model,you can very well detail this out in maya itself.
    I would also recommend you to gather the most references as possible. I dont really know specific sites for the gun refs.I am sure that google should give u the link for the same.

Vj

http://www.army.lt/guns/gallery/gallery.html
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vj_box wrote: »

Vj

1875_army_outlaw_case_lg.jpg

I'm aiming for this gun (this was my main reference).

I'm planing on doing what you suggested by using a high-poly version as a normal map (using transfer maps). My project leader wants the model to be in the ballpark of this poly count, and enough detail so it can be animated.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I agree a lot fo this wont work when rendered to texture, at least not that well. Plus theres a lot of waste.

Your project lead, be it a teacher or a game mod lead, needs to relax a little on what can and cant be done. Lots of polygons dont make a model, good polyflow does.
  • [Deleted User]
    Well, 2000 isn't really a lot for a first person weapon, assuming that's what this is.

If you can free up enough triangles it'd be a good idea to model the holes in the cylinder that the bullets go into. If they're only normal mapped the reload is going to look a bit odd. You should be able to take quite a few loops out of the handle. Also the transition from handle to frame shouldn't be smooth, unless that's for normal baking reasons, and if it isn't you can delete quite a few supporting edges from the frame as well. You can also get rid of the hole in the front of the barrel.
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I went back and worked on the base of the gun a little bit more, and now it results in being lighted better when I render it.

gun_render5.jpg

I've made some notes on the render to better help explain my problems. Anyways, I'm a little lost when it comes to how many polyons this gun should be. My project leader said I can bump it a little higher, but if I want to be able to make a good normal map from a transfer map, what's the minimum for this type of model that you would suggest?

P.S. In regards to modeling the cartridge slots in the barrel... Do you think its really that necessary? If I have the bullet mesh stick out a little during the reloading animation, the lack of modeled holes in the barrel would be something the player hardly notices since it happens so fast. I'd like to use the extra polys elsewhere, if I can.
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've finished the colormap for the model (also went back and added in more detail).

I gave the coat a steampunk finish, but I know its far from perfect. I went a little crazy with the brush/worn metal in photoshop (judicious use of dodge/burn tool...)

gun_colormap_small.jpg
    gun_render_7.jpg
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey ur color map looks muddy and blurry to me,look at your ref,once again.the wood texture piece needs to be changed for sure. you can use dodge and burn for specifying highlights and shadows in the texture,these 2 tools are best used for painting spec maps,as it allows u to easily paint the highlights and the shadowed regions.
    I would recommend you to paint the color map with some more patience and attention to detail.right now the map looks incomplete and WIP to me,

Hope this makes sense
    Vj
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Mate, you should consider using normal maps. I think the model is clean enough to allow you to experiment with baking from hi-poly relatively easily, so why don't you have a go at it?
  • Mcbiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with t4paN. Some normal maps could do this piece a world of good.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    The texture could sure use AO (ambient occlusion) baked into it.
    Also make sure to seperate the AO bake for parts which move ;)
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gun_final-1.png

Here's the final render of what I have (baked AO and everything).

What do you think?