Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DarkHero_ Painting Tutorial

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hi,

Here is a tutorial/step-by-step of my latest painting. Just thought I d share it with you guys for X mas.
let me know if anything isnt clear. Thanks

DarkHero_Tutorial-1.jpg

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    awsome, thanks wizo. saved to my desktop, feel like painting now

lol at using the mona lisa for colour btw :P
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome thanks a lot for this man!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for sharing! Yay for gradbrushes and mona lisa!
    About the painting - maybe the trail shape on the right, middle height could be pushed back in the mist/perspective fog a little. Also I feel like the white negative space around the character on the left side of the picture could be filled with dark to balance the composition. But thats just a matter of taste!

Inspiring!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    nice share, always need help in the digital painting!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    great tutorial! i love the feeling of those brushes.
    i read somewhere (probably in your sketchtrhead) that those are small gradients as a new brush. i tried that out a bit, but no matter what i set the spacing to, i always got some chunkey stuff: if i made sharp corners, really fast it would always skip some parts. so can you share those brushes?
    really nice way to add color as well!
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    thanks for sharing! good that I brought my wacom back home for christmas :D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff, thanks for sharing
    is it strange that i can still kinda see the mona lisa in your final image? :)
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great! I was hoping you could elaborate on brushes and setting as well? What software?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the nice feedback guys!

Mop: yeah it becomes more obvious when you know what painting was used. :)
    Normally I would take my time a bit more just to make sure we can recongize the blurred image. hehe

About the brush thing, the credit goes to Mathias Verhasselt (m@), his brushset has a nice variety of gradient brush. http://mv.cgcommunity.com/echange/matbrushes07.zip

Brushexplain.jpg
    I like the "93" one

to make it from scratch, open this image in photoshop :

Brush.jpg

Make a brush with the pic. Edit->Define brush preset,
    and make sure spacing is set to "25" and angle jitter is set to "direction"

I hope it helps! If its still not working, maybe it has something to do with photoshop versions, Ill need to investigate more on that.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for that! i thought it was just a basic square gradient, so that's why mine turned out so hard :S. thanks again!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • CookieKingHoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CookieKingHoi polycounter lvl 10
    Right click>save as on the image

Thanks alot:)
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic info! I will give it a try very soon. I really appreciate the brush info. Many tuts ignore this aspect and yet it is so crucial.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Codeman wrote: »
    Fantastic info! I will give it a try very soon. I really appreciate the brush info. Many tuts ignore this aspect and yet it is so crucial.

Well mind you, there is no right or wrong way to do digital paintings. Actually from what I've seen, there are 2 very common ways, but millions of differentiations to these 2 paths.

There is the "round, hard brush with low opacity" and then there is the "100% opacity brush with smudging". Going either way, is completely dependent on the time, effort and look you're going for. This is a nice method of sketching, for sure, so if that's the look you're going for then this method is effective. If you're going for realism, you'll most likely look to the smudge or low opacity directions. I find a mixture of both is a great knowledge to have to do any fine detailing, as well as doing realistic painting or full on concept work complete with color. Kudos either way for taking the time and explaining your technique Wizo.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh by the way, I thought of a way to make this tutorial a bit less "destructive" when painting - use a Layer Mask on the "cool blue" colour version of the layer, that way you can just paint into the mask to hide/reveal the cools.

Currently in your tutorial there is no way to get the cools back other than Undo or re-painting - which is fine too, I'm probably thinking more like a texture artist than a painter/illustrator here!

...just thought I'd mention that, Layer Masks are your friend! :)
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medestruit wrote: »
    Well mind you, there is no right or wrong way to do digital paintings.

Who said anything about right and wrong?

I am always interested in learning new techniques and this was a really cool tut to show a different style.Thanks Wizo for taking the time to document your process. The Mona Lisa move was brilliant:)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice one! Thanks.