Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gilfor's Tales - 3D browser game char & env (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Levus polycounter lvl 11
Hi polycounters!

I'd like to show some low-poly characters made by myself and prerendered environment (created with my friend Mara in modeling cooperation) for unusual browser game, running on papervision engine.

The Gilfor's Tales is free for all, all you need it's registration and you can play it in your browser
via www.gilforstales.com

The game is published by sodigital.com and it is actually in beta stage, but its fully playable.

Any c&c are welcome!
Thx for watching, cheers!

1b13f168a1a11138.jpg
2841f11b2ce4162c.jpg
174a4fa554163dbc.jpg
fd5d7507be464530.jpg
a5a82a7f6cd0bb2d.jpg
7b8f1181c8007484.jpg
8dfa68422b1cc022.jpg
6a43d415df597b46.jpg
080900902d689cca.jpg
1987e81307718b88.jpg
cd79a906e4ed5896.jpg
4ab4ca0d76c6190f.jpg
fff3aca406b55aab.jpg
6afc28851905e736.jpg
b90ad3c55030d439.jpg
b8011c0f94926f30.jpg

Replies

• Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    a little more...
    cab635b6d09ee6f7.jpg
    df838edcbaef9c57.jpg
    0c2e79ae2c70d35a.jpg

63f0632ac0723128.jpg
    7e7158e79f56eed2.jpg
    1fb9de018dc3d06c.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Awww yeah! That's very nice. Your texturing is solid. The textures are crisp and clean, with a well defined style. It looks like your project is really shaping up. I'll have to take a closer look at the game itself.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like overkill to make sculpts for a diffuse only engine
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this is sweet! great work!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe cool stuff man will take a look for sure!

-woog
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks beautiful man.. I think red armour woman's texture is a bit plain, but on the whole thats some nice looking work!
    edit: ninjas, I was thinking that at first, but I think it's produced a real consistency in art style that looks different than I reckon a hand painted approach would look. I likes it
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Beautyful colors on those enviroments, and overall solid characters as well. I really like those skeletons.
    Congrats to a job well done. I'll check out this game now.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Thx for comments guys!

About hipoly:
    It's not too overkilled me, one day for a sculpt it's not too much.
    And rooster, it's a good point 'bout style, I feel same myself.
    Other thing is a fact, that I'm really not very good handypainter, haha!

AimBiZ - I like skeletons much, that's a last model:)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with the rest. Nice work. My only other crit would be the tiling on the tile in the bar. It would be nice if it were more broken up.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi levus.. cool stuff here (even if i´m again not a fan of your folds´n wrinkles :p )

i´m very curious how this game will run
    will there be a free demo access maybe?! or is it free?.. i´m not sure while reading the webpage
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    nice work. Reminds me of the Baldur's Gate series.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, while the proportions of some of the characters are a bit weird and maybe not as "interesting" as they could have been, the texturing is very nice, and as rooster said, it's very consistent, which is great.

I was considering doing Zbrush stuff for baking down to diffuse-only too, did you have the same "baking scene" set up for all the characters so the lighting was all the same? Also, did you polypaint the highpoly sculpts and bake it all down, or did you do a lot of the colouring/texturing in Photoshop?
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Rollin, hello:) Yeah, I'm still workin on folds techniques, it's really hard thing to do this looking realistic.. the fabric phisique..eh, nothing to say:)
    The game is already running, fully free. Will are just working to add some more playable content, more quests etc. You need to register an account and then you will able to play.
    And thx!

g0th-> thx too!

MoP -> Thank you! Here my workflow for the models:
    -making a high
    -making a low:)
    -puttin both to max, bake occusion with little stronger spread (than usual bake for diffuse used for normal mapped model). Stronger spread give to me more ways to mix layers in photoshop, for exaple a colored occlusion for faces
    -baking a shading from grey colored hipoly model, lighted with 4 lights putted around the model. That simply give me simulation of light on the flatshaded model.
    -all baked stuff mixed in photoshop with some coloring:) So, all the texturing is done on the lowpoly model.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    V nice, agree about the tiling on the tavern floor though gotta fix that, a little less variation in the texture but maybe a swapped in broken tile set or something to break it up.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Ninjas, SHEPEIRO:
    Yes, that a good point 'bout tiling, thanks!

PS: oh, and sorry for my probably strange grammar in my posts:p
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    It seems like overkill to make sculpts for a diffuse only engine

Really its just a matter of where you want to put the work. With textures this size, you can get away with some pretty simple sculpts. So you can spend a day tweaking every pixel and painting in all your lighting(and it will still be "wrong") or you could spend a day actually modeling your forms, then just bake all that down, and have a very flexible solution if you want to change your lighting as well, not to mention a very consistant way to produce assets with the same lighting, and style. Not that i'm saying either way is better, but making some simple sculpts has a lot of positive to it.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Dig the art, looks badass man!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Amazing work!

Like others have said very crisp textures, and very consistent. Really nicely done.

It's funny, I am actually working on a character (diffuse only) where I am following the exact same workflow as you did here. (btw, this is my first attempt at trying a character with this particular workflow.)

I'm not the greatest when it comes to painting in lighting, and I can sculpt pretty decent; so it seemed like a good solution to follow this workflow for me.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else would make high poly models for diffuse only characters and I guess I found my answer right here.

Again, great work; and if I can get the kind of quality you have here by following this workflow I will be very pleased indeed.
  • Lord Ned
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got a seam on the back of the first character.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Thx for comments!:)

BradMyers82 -> So good luck! It's pretty easy to use this technique, show some to us when you done it, ok?
    Lord Ned -> Yea, my fault:) Thx!

Happy Holidays and Marry Christmas everyone!
  • rul119
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great artwork for a browser game , i will try it :D
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I really like how this looks, but when I try the game it shows the loading screen, and the music plays, but then the page just goes black and nothing shows up :(
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    I was able to get to the tutorial level, it told me it was my turn, but none of my players were on screen, there was a bartender guy, but it couldnt do anything, then when i went back to the tavern, it said all my players were dead lol.

Loving the art though dude, fantastic work, very consistent and a very cool style.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Indecom wrote: »
    I was able to get to the tutorial level, it told me it was my turn, but none of my players were on screen, there was a bartender guy, but it couldnt do anything, then when i went back to the tavern, it said all my players were dead lol.

Loving the art though dude, fantastic work, very consistent and a very cool style.
    Had the same problem. Is this game made for a certain browser?
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    That is quite a bounty of work you have here! Models are looking very nice and low and your textures are great! Think i'll go check out the website now!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Levus, quite alot of work and really nicely done on the lowpoly.

Spark
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    The logo looks just like WOW.

The environments are great.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    hobodactyl, Indecom, AimBiZ - > hm, the problems with game are definitely non-permament. Probably is something wrong on server side, that will be fixed, when we at the end of beta stage. Game should works on all browsers..

Thx for commenting, I appreciate!
    Cheers!
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
    Greate work !
    Congratulations, your style is very beaultiful, and your models is very very lowpoly :D
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
    I love it, no crits from me.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This is some badass shit. I love the environments.